[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why won't the dealership do this?

BS Miscreant

Last night I'm in the showroom for an hour and a half after closing discussing possible outcomes of our negotiation when we agree to part ways due to irreconcilable differences. They start with $2100 over MSRP and short my trade-in by about half(as quoted by another dealer and Kelly Blue Book) and then tell me they'll give a discount to get the trade value where I want it. Bottom line, I say I want the price posted on the car sticker and the website(MSRP), reasonable value for my trade and I'll put a substantial amount down with a check right now. They won't do it and let me walk. Said maybe if I can't go higher then it's just too much car. We're talking about a Honda Fit.

Any thoughts?

And yes, I know you should hold out on the trade-in info.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sell the car yourself on craigslist. it's really pretty easy, and you'll likely make yourself at least a thousand bucks over what the dealer will give you.

then negotiate the price of the new car with various dealers in your area via email. find the lowest price (make sure it is inclusive of all fees), print all your correspondence, go down to the dealer and seal the deal.

I think you think your car is worth more than it is.

"as quoted by another dealer"

There is a reason you're still shopping. You're not as smart as you think you are.

Since your candor, as it were, comes as no surprise to me I'll just go ahead and ask... How smart is it that you think I think I am? This is considering, of course, the fact that I am here asking for advice from potentially more knowledgable individuals than myself.

sell the car yourself on craigslist. it's really pretty easy, and you'll likely make yourself at least a thousand bucks over what the dealer will give you.

then negotiate the price of the new car with various dealers in your area via email. find the lowest price (make sure it is inclusive of all fees), print all your correspondence, go down to the dealer and seal the deal.

I am actually entertaining this prospect already but thanks for the help leaning in that direction.

Any thoughts on the scenario I mentioned? I've discussed this in person with two, more than capable(intellectually speaking), individuals and neither could quite get it. One was flat out shocked that a car dealership of almost any kind would let a check of nearly 2/3 the cost of the car walk out the door so easily.

I am looking for a new car as well as my lease is ending in February. I have a question for you. What car are you looking at that a dealer is trying it to sell you at $2100 over MSRP? The reason I ask is that I haven't had a dealer yet to offer me anything close to MSRP on any car/truck I am interested in.

The cars/trucks I am look at are the Buick Enclave, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Avalon, and the Mazda CX-9.

I was in Los Angeles this past week and could not believe the deals that were available down there....

I am looking for a new car as well as my lease is ending in February. I have a question for you. What car are you looking at that a dealer is trying it to sell you at $2100 over MSRP? The reason I ask is that I haven't had a dealer yet to offer me anything close to MSRP on any car/truck I am interested in.

The cars/trucks I am look at are the Buick Enclave, Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Avalon, and the Mazda CX-9.

I was in Los Angeles this past week and could not believe the deals that were available down there....

The Honda Fit. The only thing I can think is that it's a very highly regarded economy car. Safety, gas mileage, etc... They must think they can sell them very easily. A couple of reasons this whole thing surpises me is that the economy is bad, it's X-mas, year end, mid December, etc...

If you want the hassle of selling the car yourself...by all means, do. That's the only way you'll get close to top dollar for it.

BUT....I've found CarMax to be really reasonable about buying cars. The price they quote you is good for 7 days. It will, without a doubt, be higher than a dealer will give you as trade-in value. Then...you can go negotiate your Honda Fit deal on it's own.

Dealers really do NOT want to buy your car. It's a hassle for them too.

How smart is it that you think I think I am?

There is a reason you are at a dealer 2 hours after close, there is also a reason why you got a 'figure' on your trade from another dealer and didn't do the deal.

Likely scenario is you are upside down in your current ride and the numbers can't be worked out. This is just a guess. Also, you mentioned KBB, I can't remember the last time I saw a book write a check and buy someones car.

I didn't mean to come across as rude, well maybe I did, I simply think there is something very important to this story you are leaving out, and I think it is your turd of a trade in.

Tell me your car, year/mileage/make/model/miles/options and I'll tell you what it's worth. Also tell me what you owe, if you bought it new/used and how long you have had it.

I'd let them know that you will never buy from then again and you will advise your family and friends to do the same. Send it to the salesman, the manager and the owner.

:D AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, so funny. Lemme guess, never had a real job have you wedgie. (not a question)

Dealers really do NOT want to buy your car. It's a hassle for them too.

:wacko:

They make a lot more money on used cars than new ones. (not counting mfg incentives) Every new car is a dime a dozen, each used car is one of a kind.

Last night I'm in the showroom for an hour and a half after closing discussing possible outcomes of our negotiation when we agree to part ways due to irreconcilable differences. They start with $2100 over MSRP and short my trade-in by about half(as quoted by another dealer and Kelly Blue Book) and then tell me they'll give a discount to get the trade value where I want it. Bottom line, I say I want the price posted on the car sticker and the website(MSRP), reasonable value for my trade and I'll put a substantial amount down with a check right now. They won't do it and let me walk. Said maybe if I can't go higher then it's just too much car. We're talking about a Honda Fit.

Any thoughts?

And yes, I know you should hold out on the trade-in info.

Why would they start at $2100 over MSRP? The car we bought friday was my first experience with a dealership. Our trade-in '02 Celica 38k miles was worth $10,400 KBB private party. They offered us $6000 for it initially on thursday, finally going up to thier absolute max of $6800. We walked out after saying no way would i part with the car for that much. the next morning we get a call saying $7500, which after sales tax savings put it just under $8200. Car had some cosmetic issues and 2 bald tires so i was pretty happy.

we ended up getting the vehicle for $6650 under MSRP, $3500 was dealer rebates.

my biggest beef i guess is...is it normal for new car salesman to start negoitiating above MSRP? also i'd be willing to bet they will call you tommorow with a higher trade-in offer. and while he didnt insult me, he kind of was saying i was out of my league, or being unreasonable by trying to convince me that 72/84 month loans are much better for me than i think :P

Edited by Robash

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, so funny. Lemme guess, never had a real job have you wedgie. (not a question)

I don't get it, what is bad about providing feedback when a salesman insults you? (Although I will admit that I missed the part about how they were still there two hours after close negotiating the deal. I wouldn't be pleased with that if I were the salesman and I might be a smartass to a customer too if I could tell the deal was falling apart.)

Oh, and to answer your non-question, I worked my way through college and grad school doing "real" jobs. And, in fact, I am doing "real job" consulting work right now. I just like my imaginary job better.

I don't get it, what is bad about providing feedback when a salesman insults you?

The salesman is a pawn, they do nothing without mgmt's knowledge. If the manager didn't personally see him out, then he is leaving out a very large part of the story. My guess is they had him pegged as an unappeasable aszhole and they let him walk. We still don't know what happend at the other dealer. How many dealers he been too? Is his piece of schit trade gonna be worth more at one dealer than another? No.

short my trade-in by about half(as quoted by another dealer ... reasonable value for my trade and I'll put a substantial amount down with a check right now. They won't do it and let me walk. Said maybe if I can't go higher then it's just too much car.

Code words... short your trade by half? Reckon they knew you weren't buying and high-balled you, OR gave you a value for your turd including all the rebates.

Above leads one to qoute 'reasonable value' lol.

Substantial amount? 20% is substantial, $1000 is NOT.

'too much car' means he can't afford the payments, and probably has bad credit, which is extremely likely with the info given. Pay your cellphone bill holmes, and enjoy that kia for a few more years.

The incorporation of i-VTEC variable valve timing helps the 1.5-liter engine produce 118 horsepower at 6,000 rpm (an improvement of 9 hp) and 107 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm (a very useful increase of 21 lb-ft).

:wacko: Get a bicycle. It'll be faster and more energy efficient. And TEN cupholders? This car holds maybe one...possibly two (if the other person is dead and/or a contortionist). And this little deathtrap only gets 28/35??? My Vette gets 28 if I set the cruise at 55 MPH. Plus, yer going to pay $2,100 over MRSP on top of all that?

C'mon, BS Miscreant...shake it off.

Simple fact is that they think they can rape people because it's the new, hip, green car. Like TimC says, do yourself a favor and buy something else because it is more marketing gimic than it is a real fuel saver.

Any thoughts?

Two ideas:

1) There may be some behind the scenes dealings going on between the dealership and Honda. By paying for so much up front, you may be closing the door on their profitable financing options. Since most people finance the bulk of their car purchase, dealerships and manufacturers have deals where they actually make a lot of their profits in the financing.

2) Supply and demand. People are buying fuel efficient cars. The dealership would know that Fits are in short supply (don't laugh TimC), so they can charge above the sticker. If you won't buy it, they are confident someone else will.

The incorporation of i-VTEC variable valve timing helps the 1.5-liter engine produce 118 horsepower at 6,000 rpm (an improvement of 9 hp) and 107 pound-feet of torque at 4,800 rpm (a very useful increase of 21 lb-ft).

:wacko: Get a bicycle. It'll be faster and more energy efficient. And TEN cupholders? This car holds maybe one...possibly two (if the other person is dead and/or a contortionist). And this little deathtrap only gets 28/35??? My Vette gets 28 if I set the cruise at 55 MPH. Plus, yer going to pay $2,100 over MRSP on top of all that?

C'mon, BS Miscreant...shake it off.

if you're going to set the cruise at 55, you may as well be driving a honda fit.

offering to pay more up front really does nothing for them. I don't think they care either way. if they let you walk, it's because you weren't willing to meet their minimum profit expectations on the deal. you can probably get the deal you want (a reasonable price for your trade, and sticker on the new fit), but you'll have to sell your old ride on your own. keep in mind that bluebook may be a bit off right now because of a depressed market (depends especially on what you're driving).

you might look into the consumer reports new/used car pricing products. those provide very up to date and localized reports on what people are paying for particular vehicles.