[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any Bartenders in the house ?

whomper

This weekend I start bartending school . It is a 40 hour course. 3 saturdays 2 Sundays from 10am-6pm. I have a friend that knows the owners of this Country club near my house. My buddy said once I get certified he could get me at least 2 shifts a week at this place. I have been racking my brain to think of another source of income for the house and this seems like a pretty good deal.

If I am not mistaken Chester is a bartender and I would think Detlef and Bier might have some insight as well as any others that have done it or know about it. I was just looking for some feedback. I have always been a beer drinker so I dont have the head start of knowing a lot of mixed drinks without the course. Is it hard ? What are the good and bad points ? If I tell them I know Twiley will they give me an honorary degree ? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks all.

edit to add This is the school I will be going to

Edited by whomper

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend I start bartending school . It is a 40 hour course. 3 saturdays 2 Sundays from 10am-6pm. I have a friend that knows the owners of this Country club near my house. My buddy said once I get certified he could get me at least 2 shifts a week at this place. I have been racking my brain to think of another source of income for the house and this seems like a pretty good deal.

If I am not mistaken Chester is a bartender and I would think Detlef and Bier might have some insight as well as any others that have done it or know about it. I was just looking for some feedback. I have always been a beer drinker so I dont have the head start of knowing a lot of mixed drinks without the course. Is it hard ? What are the good and bad points ? If I tell them I know Twiley will they give me an honorary degree ? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks all.

:D I went to the International School of Bartending when I got out of the Navy. I got burned out pretty quickly and went into cooking. Have fun man...and make sure you throw away the numbers before you get home. Wives don't tend to like that very much. :wacko:

As far as advice about the school goes, I can tell you what mine was sorta like. You will learn all the basic drinks (screwdrivers/bloody mary's etc etc) as well as the blended specialties. The course was pretty easy. You will make drinks with colored water, you'll learn what bottles are in the well, the levels of liquor (bottom shelf/top shelf etc etc). There were some pretty hot babes in my class so have fun. I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad you have an offer from somebody already for work. Usually, most bars will not hire bartender school grads. At least thats been the case from my experience.

Just don't tell anybody you are a grad lol. Serious drinkers will rouse you heavily. :wacko:

:D I went to the International School of Bartending when I got out of the Navy. I got burned out pretty quickly and went into cooking. Have fun man...and make sure you throw away the numbers before you get home. Wives don't tend to like that very much. :wacko:

:D My wife is cool with it. She knows she can trust me. The gig at the Club my friend has an in at would be ideal but since I work in NYC I may even be able to find some shifts during the week after my regular job since there are a million bars a cab ride from my office and the school has job placement. . The Country club deal would be more of a weekend thing since they do weddings and events of that nature.

Edited by whomper

As far as advice about the school goes, I can tell you what mine was sorta like. You will learn all the basic drinks (screwdrivers/bloody mary's etc etc) as well as the blended specialties. The course was pretty easy. You will make drinks with colored water, you'll learn what bottles are in the well, the levels of liquor (bottom shelf/top shelf etc etc). There were some pretty hot babes in my class so have fun. I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad you have an offer from somebody already for work. Usually, most bars will not hire bartender school grads. At least thats been the case from my experience.

Just don't tell anybody you are a grad lol. Serious drinkers will rouse you heavily. :wacko:

Thanks Taz, What about the job itself ? My question was more geared towards that.

Eh, you'll have the book behind the counter and I doubt you'll get two prime shifts, so you'll have time to learn on the job. If it's a country club, they probably have a sommelier, so I suggest knowing your beer selection thoroughly.

The CC I visit requires that you know about cigars, also.

Thanks Taz, What about the job itself ? My question was more geared towards that.

For the most part treat your customer like you like to be treated in the bar. Just making sure that customers drinks are not emtpy and being good company will take you a long way as a bartender. Also little things like remembering names and what they drink will help alot with customers.

Taz is right about girls giving you numbers. No matter how much your wife trusts you, come home with a phone number on a napkin and there is hell to pay. And you cant be "married guy" with your female customers, faithfully married or not you have to have an air of availability and be Mr. Fun or it will effect tips too.

Oh and you have to figure out how to get away from "the talker", you know the guy that has done everything and never shuts up. Every bar has one. Dont let them monopolize your time with other customers, this will effect tips.

Whomp,

No advice here, but i thought about doing that in retirement, but my knees fail me.

This can work! Good luck in whatever you try. Wish I had more for you. Don't forget I'm an old college advisor so if I can help in any other way let me know.

Good Luck!

rr26

For the most part treat your customer like you like to be treated in the bar. Just making sure that customers drinks are not emtpy and being good company will take you a long way as a bartender. Also little things like remembering names and what they drink will help alot with customers.

Taz is right about girls giving you numbers. No matter how much your wife trusts you, come home with a phone number on a napkin and there is hell to pay. And you cant be "married guy" with your female customers, faithfully married or not you have to have an air of availability and be Mr. Fun or it will effect tips too.

Oh and you have to figure out how to get away from "the talker", you know the guy that has done everything and never shuts up. Every bar has one. Dont let them monopolize your time with other customers, this will effect tips.

I had the displeasure of sitting next to "the talker" last night while watching the Chargers. If I wouldn't have paid a $25 reservation fee for my bar stool, I would have left. This guy is a freaken moron. More times than not, I have walked into the bar and seen him, only to walk right out. He has a 5yr old football mind, yet if you listen to him, he will convince you he was there when the game was invented. Not only doesn't he shut up, he's the guy that will poke you so you will look at him when he talks. It got so bad, I left somewhere after half-time and went to the huddle live chat.

besides the CC job--try and see if any your friends are caterers--I use a bartender at just about every event-the pay is twenty an hour plus tips or 25 straight from the party host so its not a bad nights work

Good advice there. Catering/weddings and corporate parties are very lucrative part time gigs.

If it gets you in the door at a place for a couple of shifts, or gets you in on some catering gigs, it's easy money, and the school courses will be worth it. While there are some legal certifications and lessons to be taught, and certainly some nuts and bolts kind of stuff with terminology and hardware that are worth learning, the major problem with these kinds of places is that every single establishment does things differently, so whatever you learn here is going to be un-learned when you start working someplace.

The bottom line is that you probably already know how to make a scotch and soda, a whiskey coke, a vodka cranberry, and a gin and tonic. And that right there will encompass 90% of the drink orders you will ever get. The other 10% are made up of cocktails that 1) are specialities/promotions of the place you work (think bloody marys, cosmos, mojitos, etc.), or 2) fad drinks that will go in and out of style/season just as fast as they may go in and out of your brain.

The good points:You will never work less for more. That applies across the board to whatever you want it to.

The bad points: Drunks, azzholes, and other people. Sometimes it gets hard to tell which ones are which.

aside from the standard drinks you are going to learn. have about 5 "specials" in your pocket for men and women. some people will approach you not knowing what they want. it's nice to show some originality.

This is true, especially for people wanting shooters. It has been awhile but I could come up with a few recipes if you want.

I took a bartending course when I was about 21. It was held at a local college. We made drinks and passed them around to "appreciate" our work. One of the guys attending the class owned a bar on the strip across from the college. As part of our exam we went to the bar and made mixed drinks for ourselves. :wacko: We did this in the afternoon when the bar was closed. Many hours later I was off the a Cheech and Chong Show. I remember very little of it. :D

I wish I had some advice to give, but I was the world's worst bartender. I suppose the best I can offer, is that if you have the personality of an economist, you will not make a very good bartender.

(Also, bar owners love it when you start flipping bottles around all Tom Cruise Cocktail style when making drinks--so practice that at bartender school.)

I suppose the best I can offer, is that if you have the personality of an economist, you will not make a very good bartender.

+1 personality is huge behind the bar. Just remember, you are god while in control of your customers drinking excursion. You will become part comedian/ part dear Abby and part historian. Good times!!!

My brother does the CC gig back in michigan part time. He loves it and says the money is great. He says It's not really your bartending skills that make you the money, it's how you get along with people. And you my friend won't have any problem in that area.

The work isn't hard but being on your feet for extended periods can be tough if your not ready for it. Especially if you try pulling a shift after being at your regualr job all day.

I dabled in the bartending thing many, many years ago at a catering hall. While you got an occasional happening party, most were pretty boring and keeping awake was the hardest part of the job. The best part was the clean-up, if the host of the party didn't take their leftovers home, the bartenders got to split them up and take them home :wacko: Had quite the liquor cabinet back then.

Bottom line i think you'll have a great time doing this, you'll love the extra cash and won't have to kill yourself in the process.

correct

GTS, SteelBunz and ebartender have done that in the past.

:wacko: Big John! You're slipping!

I bartended for a spell up in the Bay Area, Cali. Of course, I was also part bouncer, part busboy. :D

Fortunately, I worked at a place that was mainly can beer and single booze shots, but did make my share of foo-foo shots and mixed drinks.

Good info here.

If it gets you in the door at a place for a couple of shifts, or gets you in on some catering gigs, it's easy money, and the school courses will be worth it. While there are some legal certifications and lessons to be taught, and certainly some nuts and bolts kind of stuff with terminology and hardware that are worth learning, the major problem with these kinds of places is that every single establishment does things differently, so whatever you learn here is going to be un-learned when you start working someplace.

The bottom line is that you probably already know how to make a scotch and soda, a whiskey coke, a vodka cranberry, and a gin and tonic. And that right there will encompass 90% of the drink orders you will ever get. The other 10% are made up of cocktails that 1) are specialities/promotions of the place you work (think bloody marys, cosmos, mojitos, etc.), or 2) fad drinks that will go in and out of style/season just as fast as they may go in and out of your brain.

The good points:You will never work less for more. That applies across the board to whatever you want it to.

The bad points: Drunks, azzholes, and other people. Sometimes it gets hard to tell which ones are which.

And here.

---

Whomp, having met you and knowing your persona here, you will do just fine. It's really something that you can treat as an art form and you'll get more comfortable with it the more you do it... that said, don't be afraid to practice. And that doesn't mean just practice using actual booze. I found that learning how to move behind the bar helped a lot. During frantic times, the last thing you want to do is get in another 'tender's way. Not sure what the situation will be there at your bar.

I can email or PM you some of my killer shot recipes.

Whomper,

PM me a phone # we can reach you at. My GF has been bartending for a long time and would be happy to share with you anything you may need to be successful with this. Just easier to talk on the phone than it is to bounce posts back and forth.

Whomper,

PM me a phone # we can reach you at. My GF has been bartending for a long time and would be happy to share with you anything you may need to be successful with this. Just easier to talk on the phone than it is to bounce posts back and forth.

perhaps a push-up bra and a mini skirt would help the tip jar :wacko:

Yep.....you'll be just fine in the personality department. :D

And there's a world of difference between a CC gig or a catering gig......and working night shifts in a popular club in NYC. Believe me...you'll have more fun at the former. The latter is hard work, fast paced and best left to folks with more experience. You might try it in a few years.....but I have a feeling you'll love the CC and/or catering route much better. I can guarantee your tip percentage will be higher than working a club. Might not make as much, volume is lighter, but you'll have more time to let your personality shine and most likely you'll have the shift to yourself.....no splitting tips with folks that work only half as hard. :wacko:

GTS is right.....fad drinks will come and go (some become staples.....Long Island's, Cosmopolitans).....but at least be aware of them. Start your own recipe cards....you can tailor them later to the amount of pour your establishment wants their drinks to be. If you know how to make the basics (classic martinis, perfect manhattans, a good margharita, old fashions), you're most of the way there. The great thing about catering gigs is there's usually a very limited booze selection.....they won't play "stump the bartender".....lol.

Biggest tip though......never let them see you sweat!

If YOU are relaxed and having fun.....your patrons will be at ease and have fun too. :D

And in a CC setting......YES.....remember names and drinks and just how they like them.

In 12 years, I only ever worked with ONE guy who went to bartending school. Funny dude......very stiff. He was always more into cleaning the bar than actually having customers. So we let him have slow dayshifts.....and he was happy as a clam......LOL. His first gig out of school was a dive bar.....he was miserable. It was a place you'd hate to see by the light of day. He was sure he was going to get infected with something.....LOL.

I loved bartending......loved my job. I miss it sometimes. Just didn't think I could see myself at 50 doing it.....LOL.

Best advice beforehand? Go watch a really good bartender. Just observe....start sitting AT the bar when you go out, just to watch.

Edited by SteelBunz

I've done for stints over the years, mostly as a social thing. Sort of a paid night out that doesn't result in you getting drunk. Sounds odd, but it's actually about as much fun as actually drinking and there's no hangover, DUI issues, and you come home with more money than you left. Not a bad deal. Of course, because it wasn't a money thing, I sort of gravitated towards mellower places. Mind you, if this is just for extra scratch, that might be a luxury you can afford as well. Seriously, working a really busy bar is exhausting as hell. So ask yourself whether you'd rather make $80 or so and spend a mellow evening that ends around 11pm or $200 and work your ass off, getting out at 2am. Numbers may vary from place to place but, you get the idea.

For me? I'll go the $80 route. Especially if I have to get up in the morning for my real job.