[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2009 Free Agent Wish List

Ziachild007

I was looking at the list of 2009 free agents available and put together a short list of some folks I would love to see the Texans go after.

Dominic Rhodes IND RB - I think he would be a good compliment to Slaton.

Owen Daniels HOU TE - The last year of his contract was voided due to incentives reached. I think the Texans front office really needs to get him under a long term deal.

Michael Clayton TB WR - I have always been a Clayton fan and would like to see him as depth behind Andre, Walter, Anderson, and Jones. Not a real big fan of Andre Davis.

Bart Scott BAL LB - I would be interested in seeing some combination of him, Ryans, and Diles at the LB position.

Michael Boley ATL LB - Same as Scott.

Nnamdi Asomugha OAK CB - We don't have a true shutdown corner. Robinson is probably our best, but he is a FA too and I am afraid he might have lost a step. Asomugha is going to command a big payday though and that usually isn't the Texans style/

Dunta Robinson HOU CB - Still a good player and has said he would like to stay in Houston. Hope they can work something out and get him resigned.

Bryant McFadden PIT CB - Looked good in PIT before he got hurt. I would like to see what he can do as a full time starting CB.

Oshiomogho Atogwe STL S - Like Asomugha, we need playmakers in the secondary.

Who are some players you would like to see your team try to sign?

Owen Daniels HOU TE - The last year of his contract was voided due to incentives reached. I think the Texans front office really needs to get him under a long term deal.

Who are some players you would like to see your team try to sign?

Daniels would look very nice in Eagle green as LJ Smith's replacement.

Vikings - Matt Cassell

If it were as simple as offering him the $/contract, then I would be with you that it might be a gamble worth taking. He has shown some ability and it would be interesting to see how he would do in a Vikes uni. Since the Pats have tagged him, though, I fear the price(whether it be draft picks or players in a trade) would be too high. I am not sure I would want to give up that much considering we dont know for sure how much of MC's success was due to his ability vs how much can be attributed to him playing in a good offense (that features great players on the line and at the skill positions) that he is very familiar with.

Unfortunately, looking at the available FA QBs, no one really stands out. I mean, Warner is obviously an accomplished passer, but he is old, likely expensive, and MN is a running team. Not sure that it makes sense to try for him from a cost-benefit point of view. The rest of the guys are arguably not much(if any) of an upgrade over what we have now. I'd say if the Vikes are looking for a legit starter that can help them capitalize on the current window of opportunity, they'll need to trade for one. Otherwise, they are going to have to try to find one in the draft and (unless they strike gold) that means we're dealing with the growing pains/ups and downs of a young QB for a while and they likely miss the window.

This organization decided to pass on bringing in a legit veteran starter when they had a chance (before the 07-08 season). Instead, they decided to roll with TJack(a guy they said was a 2-3 year project QB when they reached for him) who STILL hasnt shown he is really ready at a time when most of the other pieces were/are in place to maybe make a run. The gamble is looking like it came up craps and now they are in a tough spot. :wacko:

I don't see KC going after any FAs of note ... if anything, I see them trying to move some of their players for additional picks to continue the youth movement.

So long as it's not Gonzo then I think that's the right move. Tony gets traded and I am a very upset Chief fan :wacko:

If it were as simple as offering him the $/contract, then I would be with you that it might be a gamble worth taking. He has shown some ability and it would be interesting to see how he would do in a Vikes uni. Since the Pats have tagged him, though, I fear the price(whether it be draft picks or players in a trade) would be too high. I am not sure I would want to give up that much considering we dont know for sure how much of MC's success was due to his ability vs how much can be attributed to him playing in a good offense (that features great players on the line and at the skill positions) that he is very familiar with.

Unfortunately, looking at the available FA QBs, no one really stands out. I mean, Warner is obviously an accomplished passer, but he is old, likely expensive, and MN is a running team. Not sure that it makes sense to try for him from a cost-benefit point of view. The rest of the guys are arguably not much(if any) of an upgrade over what we have now. I'd say if the Vikes are looking for a legit starter that can help them capitalize on the current window of opportunity, they'll need to trade for one. Otherwise, they are going to have to try to find one in the draft and (unless they strike gold) that means we're dealing with the growing pains/ups and downs of a young QB for a while and they likely miss the window.

This organization decided to pass on bringing in a legit veteran starter when they had a chance (before the 07-08 season). Instead, they decided to roll with TJack(a guy they said was a 2-3 year project QB when they reached for him) who STILL hasnt shown he is really ready at a time when most of the other pieces were/are in place to maybe make a run. The gamble is looking like it came up craps and now they are in a tough spot. :wacko:

Have they officially said they were going to tag him? I would think they would try and sign him to a 3 year contract to save some cap money. Kind of what the Browns did with Anderson. If Brady does come back and there are no problems with the knee, they could trade him easier than if he was franchised.

We just need a Quarterback that can pass the ball consistently. You need to pass the ball more with the WCO...I think it should be a 60/40 pass/run split. Peterson won't be able to run if we can't pass it and it was evident on Sunday. Outside of that long run, wasn't he at about 2 yards per carry or less.

Sources: Stafford, Moreno to leave Georgia for draft

By Mark Schlabach

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: January 7, 2009, 9:11 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford and running back Knowshon Moreno, who led the SEC in passing and rushing this season, respectively, are expected to announce Wednesday that they will enter April's NFL draft.

Multiple sources with knowledge of the players' decisions said Moreno was definitely leaning toward entering the NFL draft, but said Stafford had wrestled with his decision for several days.

Stafford, a junior from Highland Park, Texas, might be the first player selected in the draft, according to Todd McShay, director of college football scouting for Scouts Inc. who also does NFL draft analysis for ESPN.

The strong-armed passer set a Georgia single-season record with 25 touchdown passes this year. He threw for 3,459 yards this season, the second-best total in school history, and ranked 15th nationally in pass efficiency.

Moreno, a sophomore from Bedford, N.J., ran for 1,338 yards and 16 touchdowns before the Bulldogs' 24-12 win over Michigan State in the Capital One Bowl. He became the first Georgia player since 1982 Heisman Trophy winner Herschel Walker to run for more than 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons.

Moreno was redshirted at Georgia in 2006, so he is eligible to enter the draft after playing only two seasons with the Bulldogs.

Moreno is expected to be one of the top two running backs selected in the NFL draft, along with Ohio State junior Chris "Beanie" Wells, should he decide to enter. Wells hasn't yet announced whether he'll return to school for his senior season.

Moreno leaves Georgia with 2,769 career yards rushing with 32 touchdowns (30 rushing, two receiving), not including the Capital One Bowl performance.

Mark Schlabach covers college football for ESPN.com

Have they officially said they were going to tag him? I would think they would try and sign him to a 3 year contract to save some cap money. Kind of what the Browns did with Anderson. If Brady does come back and there are no problems with the knee, they could trade him easier than if he was franchised.

We just need a Quarterback that can pass the ball consistently. You need to pass the ball more with the WCO...I think it should be a 60/40 pass/run split. Peterson won't be able to run if we can't pass it and it was evident on Sunday. Outside of that long run, wasn't he at about 2 yards per carry or less.

Has John David Booty developed at all?