[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

what kind of dog do you have?

Liverlips

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny story. I owned a pit and a rott. TOTALLY well behaved dogs. Would leave them in my back yard when I went to work. I do contracting, so I pop home around lunch time daily to see what's up. Pull up to my house, the whole police force is in front of my house, like 5 cars. The dogs got out, walked two blocks to a busy road up the street. The cop said when he showed up the dogs turned around and walked home. When I pulled up they were sitting on the porch and the cops where just watching them. They actually got a chuckle out of it. Just had to show my papers and that was it. Made the local paper and everything. Luckily all my neighbors no they're harmless.

The rotty passed two years ago, one of the saddest days of my life. :wacko:

jasper and sierra

jasper the male is almost 14. sierra the female is almost 13.

:wacko: jasper has developed a growth in his stomach (cancer) and even if they operate, prognosis is unknown. he has deteriorated pretty quicky... not eating, vomits often, lethargic, ahedonic, and just moves so slowly. he is my boy. soooooooo sad that i will have to put him down prob w/in a month or two. it still feels too early to do so, but it's coming. :D i really love this dog.

jasper and sierra

jasper the male is almost 14. sierra the female is almost 13.

:wacko: jasper has developed a growth in his stomach (cancer) and even if they operate, prognosis is unknown. he has deteriorated pretty quicky... not eating, vomits often, lethargic, ahedonic, and just moves so slowly. he is my boy. soooooooo sad that i will have to put him down prob w/in a month or two. it still feels too early to do so, but it's coming. :D i really love this dog.

Sorry to hear that, Bier. :D

I own a 7 year old Aussie and a 10 year old Gordon Setter. I won't own either again. The Aussie is too high drive, controlling, and needs to be herding sheep not live in a suburban home. My Gordon is too sensitive and not very bright-although my last Gordon was one of the smartest dogs I've ever met. Actually my current Gordon learns things quickly through classical conditioning (pavlov) but this is not how humans can practically train dogs. Dogs and all animals learn to survive through Pavlov conditioning. Darwin's survival of the fittest is classical conditioning getting passed down through generations.

I have trained about every AKC breed and from my experiences for a pet, the Golden Retriever is the most steady and easy going breed I've trained. I have worked with hundreds of aggressive dogs and only two of them have been Goldens. The Labs are close but the field bred Labs are really hyper and for the most part all are hyper the first two years. I am seeing aggression popping up more and more in the poorly bred Labs. The problem with the Golden is they are so overbred that even spending over a thousand dollars on one with careful breeding and health clearances on the parents and puppies, their lives are oftened shortened by lots of genetic diseases, the big one cancer at a very young age. The other issue is they eat everything until age 2-rocks, shoes, underwear, cell phones, etc. I had one puppy in my class rushed to the vet for eating a door knob! I have not owned a Golden because they become too mellow at five years of age and lose a lot of endurance-not a fit for my active lifestyle. That was more of an issue when I was 40, but now that I am 50, not such a bad thing.

The other breed I really like is the Springer, but still lots of health issues including rage syndrome which is a neurological disorder causing aggression and turning even on their owners. Even reputable breeders can find it in their lines. I have only met one with rage. Most all Springers I've met have had wonderful temperaments. I do see hyperactivity in the field lines. I like the Standard Poodles-just can't get over the looks. The mini poodles can be somewhat neurotic and a lot of the toys I see are pretty crazed. I think there is less in breeding in the Standards. With that said, I have seen some Goldendoodles and Labardoodles that clearly are suffering from neurological problems. The problem is people who don't know or care what they are breeding, breed any old Lab or Golden to any old Poodle, without regard to temperament or health because they can charge $2000. I'd say about 60%-70% of the doodles I meet have questionable temperaments. But the 30-40% that are good, are really good. A lot of them who have come out of my classes are now therapy dogs.

My favorite small dog is the Papillon. Lots of energy, smart and has a happy attitude. Many people who want a small dog but have owned large dogs like this breed. Same goes for the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, but huge health problems in this breed. Heart problems cannot be avoided in even the best bloodlines. Your dog may not end up with heart disease, but your dog will likely carry the gene.

boston terrier, 3 years old, neutered male.

- very smart, especially when it comes to little games of his own devising

- very high energy level

- fiendishly obsessed with playing ball, fetch, etc.

- very athletic compared to his breed standard

- great with kids, other dogs....even if potentially a little overbearing with his energy level

- eager to please us

very pleased with him individually, and with the breed in general. the downsides would be some potential health issues, and the fact that their almost total lack of a substantial coat makes them possibly better suited to milder climates. oh and gas :wacko: overall though a great breed, a smaller dog (20'ish pounds)that doesn't act small and has a ton of personality.

:D

Niles of Manster. almost 3. And you are right about the gas. Probably the worst I've ever come across.

And 6 year old fixed female pit bull named Sunshine

Edited by Clubfoothead

Winnie. 3 yr old Australian-lab mix. Female. High energy. I get on my bike and take her for a 2 mile run each morning. Sometimes go for a run in the evening as well. I have seen her snap once and that was at my brother's dog when the dog tried to take Winnie's bone away. She barks if anyone comes to the door. She has a wireless shock collar so she doesn't leave the yard. Any adult she doesn't recognize comes into the yard, she runs in circles around him/her and barks like hell. She has scared the hell out of more than a few solicitors. She never does that with a child. Just runs up and wants to play.

I was greatly saddened this week to learn that my brother lost his golden retriever to cancer. :wacko: Molly was eight and a great friend to my brother.

coincidence, my mom lost her golden this week as well. she was not quite 8. my mom got home from work and she was just out in the back yard dead. she says they got a call a few years ago when her mom died suddenly and early of some congenital heart thing. so I guess it was probably that.

coincidence, my mom lost her golden this week as well. she was not quite 8. my mom got home from work and she was just out in the back yard dead. she says they got a call a few years ago when her mom died suddenly and early of some congenital heart thing. so I guess it was probably that.

That's rough. My brother had an awful week having to put Molly down, but at least he and his family got to say goodbye. Hope your mom is doing OK. :wacko:

Australian Shepard. Extremely smart, small bursts of energry but after playing for about an hour is totally calm. Very submissive, but is definitely a herding dog. Likes to 'play' with the cats but gets scared when they hiss at her.

jasper and sierra

american eskimos.

- there are bread to be alert dogs. we will never need a doorbell or alarm.

- very friendly and affectionate

- they are eager to please

- protective. when our daughter was born, our male was always within 5-10 feet of her.

- great with kids

- intellegent. they liked learning new tricks

and thank you guys for your thoughts guys. yesterday was a good day. he was eating and moving aournd much better. i even took him out to the park to try to play fetch. turns out the snow was too deep for him, but he loved being out there. he was great on the bike path, was walking with a bounce in his step.

Wow, it's hard to imagine that you're anything but a very kind person. I suppose it's odd to call dogs that have gone through what some of these guys have as "lucky", but they're sure lucky you all came around. :wacko:

Thanks!

It has been rewarding and tough at the same time. We gave up everything we had to do it... cashing the 401k, gone way too far into credit debt...so money is always our issue. And lately it has been tougher (my day-time salary was cut 20% and our food costs have gone up 30%).

My wife used to try to find homes for greyhounds from the tracks up in Minnesota. She moved down here, we met and eventually got married. At that time she only had a handful of her dogs. She heard about a greyhound in a pound up north and went to get him. This rural pound was so sad- dogs laying around in filth... some already laying there dead... in small concrete runs... the last run was the gas chamber they hook up to the car exhaust to kill the dogs. She came home with 6 or 7 dogs and our mission was started. In the last 4 years or so, we have found homes for around 400 dogs.

The real suprising thing is that we thought that we could count on people to help along the way. When we looked for volunteers, no one was interested. When we solicted our 400 adopters for donation help due to our recent issues, only 12 or so stepped forward with donations. It is really sad how self absorbed people are.

The reward for us is knowing that we did something that made a difference. When I look into the eyes of one of our little guys and know that we did something to help them- when no one else was there, it fills me up inside- and i am proud that we did it.

Bless you dug. I would love to do that. If I ever hit the lottery, no dogs would ever suffer again if I could help it. I would delve every penny I won into it (less a ZR1, of course). I got both my dogs from our local humane society and give to them as much as I can. Heck, I hardly even give to human causes anymore since people basically suck anyways. :D

Anyway, just wanted to throw you some support. :wacko:

I have a Great Dane.

:D

Did you ever get your other dog out of its throat? :wacko:

No doggies right now. I'm in a townhouse in Northern Virginia and will not subject even the smallest dog to that type of living (apartment, townhouse, condo). I think all dogs should have some free space to run, so until I get a back yard...

My personal favorites are Viszla, Goldens, Dogue de Bordeaux (or however the Fenchies spell it), Boxers, Dachshund, and Chihuahuas. I have also had great experiences with 20 to 30 lb, short hair terrier mixes that I have gotten from the pound.

1 year old Female Fawn Boxer. This is my first pet due to my father being allergic to everything you can imagine. Never thought I or the wife would be pet people, she grew up in a house where she was allowed to have any pet she wanted, and they had just about anything you could imagine and she was done being a pet owner. She finally agreed to let my boys and I have our first pet. I asked for advice on here about the subject and even talked to some huddlers personally. She is a joy and has a set routine she does every single day, that helps big time for us. She is my baby and she obeys me as the alpha male. I have trained her to shake on command with either hand you point to, she will sit, stay, roll over, beg, speak. She understands no, leave it and knock that off. I am working on playing dead right now.

I've got a 4 year old Chocolate lab named Pinot. Nothing better than putting "no" in a dog's name to give it issues.

She's a good dog. Was definitely a handful until she hit about 3.5. Now she just follows me around hoping that tonight will be steak tonight.

And she flops the nut boat and gets you to pay her off. Good doggie. :wacko:

I have a 3 year old mix. He is half Black Lab and half English Bulldog. We call him a Bullador. Looks kind of like a fat lab. His name is Kobe and he is short (shorter than most labs), fat (about 100lbs.), and solid. His head is a bit more "square" so some people think he is a rotty at first look (all black with white blaze). He's a gigantic wuss and reminds me of my English bulldog I grew up with. He likes to sleep most of the day but he'll get hyper and run around in circles every now and then. He barks if he hears someone at the door, but usually he just wants to slobber on the new guests. Pretty lazy around the family but he turns into a spaz when people come over. Overall a pretty good house dog. Very calm with little kids.