[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Domestic duties...role reversals?

Puddy

The vacuum thread begs the question. What duties around the house do you do on a regular (or semi-regular basis) that has been traditionally viewed as a responsibility of the opposite sex.

Here are mine:

Ironing - I am a master with the Rowenta and probably iron 80% of the clothes

Dishes - my wife does this more than me but I do load and unload the dishwasher probably 25% of the time

Laundry - wifey normally separates, loads and unloads while I fold the clothes more often than not (while watching TV)

Cooking - depends on who is home earlier. The next few months I'll cook more as she has evening classes. I enjoy cooking. I make breakfast on the weekends.

Gardening - Strictly my gig. It was my idea initially and I plant, feed and harvest.

Even though I responded in the vacuum thread, that's one chore I never do or mop the floors.

Mrs. Puddy doesn't do any of the outside work.

The vacuum thread begs the question. What duties around the house do you do on a regular (or semi-regular basis) that has been traditionally viewed as a responsibility of the opposite sex.

Here are mine:

Ironing - I am a master with the Rowenta and probably iron 80% of the clothes

Dishes - my wife does this more than me but I do load and unload the dishwasher probably 25% of the time

Laundry - wifey normally separates, loads and unloads while I fold the clothes more often than not (while watching TV)

Cooking - depends on who is home earlier. The next few months I'll cook more as she has evening classes. I enjoy cooking. I make breakfast on the weekends.

Gardening - Strictly my gig. It was my idea initially and I plant, feed and harvest.

Even though I responded in the vacuum thread, that's one chore I never do or mop the floors.

Mrs. Puddy doesn't do any of the outside work.

Puddy, you're a dream husband!!! You had me at hello ironing & unloading the dishwasher

Ironing - wife 100%

Dishes - wife 95%

Laundry - wife 100%

Cooking - wife 99%

Gardening - wife 95% (except trees; me 100%)

Mowing - wife 25% (riding mower only)

Major home construction projects (of which we have many) - wife 5%

Painting (walls, etc) - wife 70%

...sh|t, I'm a crappy husband...

Ironing - whoever needs something ironed does it, so prolly 50/50

Dishes - I scrub pots and pans and load the washer, she puts away after it runs.

Laundry - she washes and usually folds, but if I'm around I do the folding

Cooking - I do just about all the cooking.

Gardening - pretty much a joint venture. It's a together activity.

Mowing - she enjoys it, so I let her have it (we have a VERY small lawn. . .it's like 30x10 or so)

Major home construction projects (of which we have many) - whoever has more fingers attached at the moment :wacko:

Painting (walls, etc) - again, joint project.

well, my wife works and i'm at home, so i do all the cooking, nearly all the dishes, 90 percent of the grocery shopping and probably about half the cleaning. she still does all the laundry (well, i'll fold if i'm asked), and my definition of "clean" is not as, shall we say, narrowly defined as her definition. we rent, so the owners pay for gardening and yardwork. i do, however, pick up the dog crap in the yard, which has to be the lowest form of household chore that exists.

i read an article not too long ago about how when it's the man with the job and the woman is at home, housework is divided like 80 percent for the woman, 20 percent for the man. when the man is at home and the woman has the job, the woman still does about 35 percent, or something like that.

Laundry - I do about 80 %

Cooking - I do about 75%

Yard work - I do 100%

Painting - 50/50

Ironing - wife does 100% (mostly dry cleaning though so not much ironing)

Dishes - 18 y/o son (who am I kidding, 50/50 between wife and I)

Picking up after our 3 y/o - 75% me

Laundry Wife does 90%. She worked in retail for years and is a folding machine. My running clothes go in a separate hamper, and I wash those.

Cooking I do 95%. I get home first. I like to cook, so she usually has dinner ready for her when she gets home.

Dishes 50/50

Outdoor Stuff 99% by me. I do all the mowing and shoveling of snow. Sometimes I'll ask for help weeding, or she'll tell me where to put a plant.

Bills My wife has taken care of the bills since I met her in college.

General cleaning 90% wife. My cleaning attempts are futile failures compared with her attempts.

My wife:

cleaning house 55%

For some reason that percentage cracks me up. Instead of going with 50%. :wacko:

:D The wife and I alternate weekends in cleaning the house and occasionally a guy's night out (hockey game) pops up on the weekend. So she will take one for the team. So yeah she does the housekeeping chores slightly more than I do. :D

I cook a little more than she does.

I wash a lot of clothes, but rarely fold them (exepct my own) - the wife and kids do this.

We all take turns doing the dishes.

I rarely vacuum, but do most of the "picking up."

She does the shopping - I have been banned for spending too much. :wacko: I'm all about speed, not economy.

We rarely iron - use the touch up setting on the dryer. Anything that can't fix gets dry cleaned.

I do all the outdoor stuff - lawn, gardening, snow-blowing, home maintenance and repairs.

She does the painting indoors.

Cooking - wife 100%

Vacuum - 50-50 split

Cleaning baths - wife 100%

Dusting - 50-50 split

Grocery shopping - wife 70%

Trash - me 100%

Mowing - me 100%

Cleaning flower beds - me 80%

Cleaning pool - me 100%

Cleaning outside grills, patio furniture, decks, patio, garage - me 100%

Laundry - wife 80%

Dishes - wife 90%

Bills - 50-50 split , I balance the books, she writes the checks and prepares them to mail

Organizing closet, drawers, cleaning after little one - me 80%

Honestly, I've never given the "distribution of domestic labor" topic any thoght before, but...

- I mow the lawn 100% of the time, not enough other outdoor chores to worry about

- I load/unload the dishwasher 85% of the time

- I do the laundry 85% of the time ... no ironing to speak of but she does the odd blouse or whatever she has that's not permanent press

- no kids living at home

- cooking is 50/50, whomever gets home first usually makes dinner unless we get takeout - if we do, she usually gets it

- bill paying is 100% her job

- pet care is 75% my job

I work somewhere between 45-55 hours per week on average ... she works PT, maybe 30 hours per week.

After reading what I've listed above, I have concluded that I'm getting screwed - or am not getting screwed enough, depending on your point of view.

:wacko:

Edited by ts

Outside stuff - she does all the summer gardening, mowing, etc since I am on record as being in favor of installing a Brady-style astroturf lawn; I handle shoveling in the winter

Vacuuming - my job

Mopping floors - wife

Laundry - each do our own, grab the kids and throw it in with our loads

Dishes - as needed, I usually do them more but go through streaks where I hardly do them

Cleaning the bathrooms - my job

Dusting - wife

I :

sweep

mop

vaccuum

clean bathrooms

wife :

cooks

laundry

cleans the rooms , dusts , etc

irons

we do the bills together

my oldest daughter does the dishes most of the time

I also do all the outside work

Edited by isleseeya

Ironing - wife 100%

Dishes - wife 95%

Laundry - wife 100%

Cooking - wife 99%

Gardening - wife 95% (except trees; me 100%)

Mowing - wife 25% (riding mower only)

Major home construction projects (of which we have many) - wife 5%

Painting (walls, etc) - wife 70%

...sh|t, I'm a crappy husband...

:wacko: I guess I am too then, because your list looks a lot like mine would. I do most of the grocery shopping (just because she spendstoo much, especially on junk food) and 100% of the bills. My wife does most of the yard work on the riding mower, but that is by choice. She can either wait for me to do it on the weekends or do it herself during the week. She doesn;t like the grass to be to high. :D I am the sole income and she is a stay at home mom now, so she does have a little more time than I do to do the housework stuff. When we were both working I did help out a lot more.