[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weird 1980's Toys

darin3

I'm guessing most of the demographic here played with toys in the late 70's and 80's.... I don't know why I was thinking about my old toys a few weeks ago, but I was. I certainly remembered Legos, Lincoln Logs and of course Star Wars inspired toys. But there was one toy set I couldn't remember the name of.... and somehow I was doing a netsearch for something and came across exactly what it was: Bristle Blocks

So, what random 70's/80's toys do you remember playing with?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a Hot Wheels display in the grocery store, and I tried to explain to the Sheikette how I played with them. She didn't know that they're not self-powered and you had to roll them down inclines or just keep a finger on them to keep them moving. I explained the proper progression of playing with Hot Wheels:

1. Have 2 cars drive side by side.

2. Have them driving in opposite directions, but in their own lanes

3. Have them play Hot Wheels Chicken with one car veering out of the way just in time

4. Hot Wheels demolition derby

11. Winging Hot Wheels against a concrete wall as hard as possible.

Good times. . .good times.

There was a Hot Wheels display in the grocery store, and I tried to explain to the Sheikette how I played with them. She didn't know that they're not self-powered and you had to roll them down inclines or just keep a finger on them to keep them moving. I explained the proper progression of playing with Hot Wheels:

1. Have 2 cars drive side by side.

2. Have them driving in opposite directions, but in their own lanes

3. Have them play Hot Wheels Chicken with one car veering out of the way just in time

4. Hot Wheels demolition derby

11. Winging Hot Wheels against a concrete wall as hard as possible.

Good times. . .good times.

[loaf] :wacko: [/loaf]

I remember the bag of army men I would blow up with firecrackers,melt with magnifying glass or pop with my daisy pump action BB gun. But perhaps my favorite toy, if it would be called that, was my Big Wheel. That thing took so much abuse and kept on ticken even though I had blown the front wheel. I got a green machine for x-mas one year and hated it. Not until I grew out of the big wheel did I even touch the green machine. What a great toy that was.

Lincoln Logs were cool. But those suckers date back to the teens!

Block City used to keep us amused for hours! But no roof option! :wacko: pretty sure it was a 50's thing.

Erector Set.....How cool was that? We did the Ferris Wheel, crane, and many more.

All of these prolly have too many small parts for a 12 year old today! *sigh*

Does anyone here remember the old "Realistic" Kits sold by Radio Shack?? Now those were really cool. You could listen to static all freakin' day!! :D

I remember the bag of army men I would blow up with firecrackers,melt with magnifying glass or pop with my daisy pump action BB gun. But perhaps my favorite toy, if it would be called that, was my Big Wheel. That thing took so much abuse and kept on ticken even though I had blown the front wheel. I got a green machine for x-mas one year and hated it. Not until I grew out of the big wheel did I even touch the green machine. What a great toy that was.

Tazinib1, you sound like that mean kid Sid on Toy Story

Not late 70s or 80s(some of us are older than that), but these were two of my faves, although I might add that I loved Tonka Toys back when they were made with metal and could take some serious abuse. One of the best Christmas' I ever had when I was a kid was when I found a Tonka earthmover and a bulldozer under the tree. Here's 2 more that I liked:

My neighbor had a 6 Million Dollar Man (you could look through his bionic eye). His twin brother had an Oscar Goldman with exploding briefcase. He's gay now. Seriously. :wacko:

psssst...he was gay then. But without the disposable income and washboard abs.

My neighbor had a 6 Million Dollar Man (you could look through his bionic eye). His twin brother had an Oscar Goldman with exploding briefcase. He's gay now. Seriously. :wacko:

had this. he could also lift a car engine and you could peel back a patch of fake skin on his arm to see the bionics.

most kids have no idea where the bionic sound effect they use on spongebob comes from ...