[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mini Rant

Czarina

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ans was made with cane sugar instead of the HFCS now causing the price hikes.

You can buy "Mexican" branded Coca-Cola and Pepsi here that is made with sugar. It is about 3 times the price, but it tastes sooooo much better than the HFCS stuff.

You can buy "Mexican" branded Coca-Cola and Pepsi here that is made with sugar. It is about 3 times the price, but it tastes sooooo much better than the HFCS stuff.

wurd. the "POP " made with sugar instead of that nasty corn syrup is about 1 million times better.

Somebody told me HFCS is banned in most of Europe. Is that true?

I am seeing contractory info on his. The best I could come with is it is not specifically banned, but a lot more expensive to produce in Eurore, thus not widlely used. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/H...yrup%23Overview

I am seeing contractory info on his. The best I could come with is it is not specifically banned, but a lot more expensive to produce in Eurore, thus not widlely used. http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/H...yrup%23Overview

So with US agribusiness growing corn like there's no tomorrow, it was mega cheap to produce here, but the ethanol subsidies make it relatively scarcer, thus driving up prices of stuff in which it's an ingredient.

So with US agribusiness growing corn like there's no tomorrow, it was mega cheap to produce here, but the ethanol subsidies make it relatively scarcer, thus driving up prices of stuff in which it's an ingredient.

Indeed!

Go to the grocery store and try and find something without corn syrup in it. It is no wonder Americans are fat.

• 1 month later...

Now Pepsi just advertised a retro formula for sale made with sugar.

why do they use corn-syrup instead of sugar? very likely because of the HUGH tariffs on imported sugar

Instead of complaining about the price of soda, you should all be happy that foreign sugar makers aren't stealing American jobs... right?

why do they use corn-syrup instead of sugar? very likely because of the HUGH tariffs on imported sugar

Instead of complaining about the price of soda, you should all be happy that foreign sugar makers aren't stealing American jobs... right?

Cost... and, I've also heard the HFCS doesn't trigger the sensors that you are intaking calories, etc., thus it doesn't fill you up and you drink more. Probably bunk, but a good story

I know that it is the cost--my point was that the high costs of sugar are a result of high tariffs on imported sugar.

Wow, I had no idea we had such high tariffs on sugar. I looked it up on the customs website and there are more rules than I care to read through, but for some of the classifications of different sugars, the tariff is 0.33 - 0.40 per kg. Plus there are quotas on foreign imports. What a mess.

how insane is it that the soda companies actually put a REAL ingredient in their product and they have the nerve to call it retro. they got buy for many, many years substituting in processed garbage and when the cost for the processed garbage goes too high because everyone is using it, they go back to an actual ingredient and try to make it special. a-holes.

i think it was log cabin syrup that came out with their "classic recipe" version and when you check the ingredients, there was NO maple syrup in it! it was all processed, HFCS, etc. how can your "classic recipe" syrup not have any syrup in it?

who drinks soda anyways?...I get distilled water delivered and I drink orange juice..

the only thing soda is good for is mixing with liquor :D

Are you sure it's really distilled? A lot of bottled water comes from the tap. :wacko:

how insane is it that the soda companies actually put a REAL ingredient in their product and they have the nerve to call it retro. they got buy for many, many years substituting in processed garbage and when the cost for the processed garbage goes too high because everyone is using it, they go back to an actual ingredient and try to make it special. a-holes.

i think it was log cabin syrup that came out with their "classic recipe" version and when you check the ingredients, there was NO maple syrup in it! it was all processed, HFCS, etc. how can your "classic recipe" syrup not have any syrup in it?

My wife likes the fake syrup. I only eat the real maple syrup.