[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"Lessons from the Great Depression for Economic Recovery in 2009"

wiegie

http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/eve...ssons_romer.pdf

Note that Christina Romer is an economist of the highest grade.

_______

Edited to add: Romer is the Chair of Obama's Council of Economic Advisors. I thought this paper would be interesting as it gives insights into how the administration's economists are approaching our current economic situation. You might be interested to know that Romer is the author of many research papers in economics including a number specifically on the Great Depression including:

The Great Crash and the onset of the Great Depression- CD Romer - The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1990

&

What Ended the Great Depression?- CD Romer - Journal of Economic History, 1992

&

The nation in depression- CD Romer - The Journal of Economic Perspectives, 1993

(All of the above are highly respected journals.)

_______

Edited by wiegie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just we all know her current role...

From wikipedia:

Christina Romer (née Duckworth; born on December 25, 1958 in Alton, Illinois) is the Class of 1957 Garff B. Wilson Professor of Economics at the University of California Berkeley. On November 24, 2008, President Barack Obama designated Romer as Chair of the Council of Economic Advisers upon the start of his administration.[1][2]

After her nomination and before the Obama administration took office, Romer was tasked with co-authoring the administration's plan to recover from the 2008 recession. With economist Jared Bernstein, Romer co-authored Obama's plan for economic recovery. [3]

In a video presentation, [4]she discussed details of the the jobs' creation package that the Obama administration submitted to Congress

So she is in effect saying the Administration is doing the right thing? Doesn't that tend to fly in the face of the position you've been maintaining these past few weeks?

:wacko:

She is talking about the macro-economy overall, and I agree with much of what she is saying there.

My main contention with the Obama administration so far (and it is an important one) is their approach (or seeming lack of one) to the problems in the financial system. I think we need both a solid fiscal stimulus and a strategy for fixing the financial system. I think they hit a single on the stimulus plan, but are facing an 0-2 count on fixing the financial system.

Yeah, I was thinking she was a non-biased independent thinker. :wacko:

I know that after the last eight years it is shocking to see a president actually choosing someone qualified to do their job instead of just appointing a political hack, but it seems that is exactly what has happened.

(I would strongly encourage you (and Savage) to look to see if anyone has criticized Romer as being a hack. Feel free to report back here if you find something.)

Edited by wiegie

yes, thanks for pointing that out, I am certain it wasn't evident from her paper:

:wacko: defensive much? it may not be apparent to everyone who reads this thread that "Council of Economic Advisers" means she is a shill for the administration. but I am really reassured that the person who co-authored the plan thinks it's a good plan.

:oldrolleyes:

I am really reassured that the person who co-authored the plan thinks it's a good plan.

You should be reassured because the person who co-authored the plan is one of the most qualified persons in the world who could have authored the plan.

You should be reassured because the person who co-authored the plan is one of the most qualified persons in the world who could have authored the plan.

This reminds me of the subtitles in the opening credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Those who were to sack those to have been sacked have just been sacked."

"Moose bites hurt"

This reminds me of the subtitles in the opening credits of Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Those who were to sack those to have been sacked have just been sacked."

"Moose bites hurt"

Without doubt, those are the best credits ever to roll across a movie screen.

I know that after the last eight years it is shocking to see a president actually choosing someone qualified to do their job instead of just appointing a political hack, but it seems that is exactly what has happened.

(I would strongly encourage you (and Savage) to look to see if anyone has criticized Romer as being a hack. Feel free to report back here if you find something.)

I didn't criticize her in the slightest. Maybe me just pointing out that she works for Obama and wrote the stimulus plan is somehow an attack upon her. I was simply providing more information. I couldn't (and so won't) say whether she is a hack or not. She does however keep some pretty interesting company there in Berkeley. :wacko:

She does however keep some pretty interesting company there in Berkeley. :D

Yep, two Nobel Prize winners and a few John Bates Clark medal winners would probably be pretty interesting company to have around.

(Or were you talking about John Yoo?) :wacko:

robert deniro is one of the greatest, most "qualified" actors of the past several decades. last year he produced and starred in a movie I saw this weekend called "what just happened". if deniro wrote a review of his own movie talking about how great it was, I'm not sure that would be the most convincing argument that the movie is worth seeing.

and the movie sucked, by the way.

Yep, two Nobel Prize winners and a few John Bates Clark medal winners would probably be pretty interesting company to have around.

(Or were you talking about John Yoo?) :wacko:

Yeah, Nobel prizes are relevant lol

FYI: I edited my original post to include the following:

_______

Edited to add: Romer is the Chair of Obama's Council of Economic Advisors. I thought this paper would be interesting as it gives insights into how the administration's economists are approaching our current economic situation. You might be interested to know that Romer is the author of many research papers in economics including a number specifically on the Great Depression including:

The Great Crash and the onset of the Great Depression- CD Romer - The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1990

&

What Ended the Great Depression?- CD Romer - Journal of Economic History, 1992

&

The nation in depression- CD Romer - The Journal of Economic Perspectives, 1993

(All of the above are highly respected journals.)

_______