[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cory Redding for Julian Peterson

policyvote

Former Spartan Julian Peterson is coming home, in exchange for Cory Redding and a fifth-rounder.

Links: mlive.com, Fox Sports, my blog.

Man oh man, I am a HUGE fan of this deal. The Lions are adding size, strength, smarts, and talent like crazy. People are saying this means no Curry--don't believe it. I still think Curry is the pick at 1.1 . . . between Curry, Sims, and Peterson, they could flash a lot of looks and wreck a lot of fools.

Peace

policy

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Former Spartan Julian Peterson is coming home, in exchange for Cory Redding and a fifth-rounder.

Man oh man, I am a HUGE fan of this deal. The Lions are adding size, strength, smarts, and talent like crazy. People are saying this means no Curry--don't believe it. I still think Curry is the pick at 1.1 . . . between Curry, Sims, and Peterson, they could flash a lot of looks and wreck a lot of fools.

Peace

policy

Totally giving up on Dizon, eh? And toss Lenon out with the garbage? Dizon had/has promise and Lenon was actually somewhat respectable.

Peterson's gonna be 31 come the '09 season. :wacko:

Interesting deal.

I thought Dizon was inside and Peterson outside. No?

I believe Dizon played inside and outside at Colorado and the Kitties were trying him in both roles last season before he flamed out.

But I was referring to policy's projection of having Sims inside, the drafted Curry on one side and Peterson on the other. If I'm reading his post correctly, that is...

And to keg's point, he's right... I had noted in the IDP forum that I wasn't a big fan of Hill, but now that makes sense, and he does jump up as a possible "sleeper" next season.

Totally giving up on Dizon, eh? And toss Lenon out with the garbage? Dizon had/has promise and Lenon was actually somewhat respectable.

Peterson's gonna be 31 come the '09 season. :wacko:

Interesting deal.

Dizon, unfortunately, was a bit of a project . . . even Marinelli thought he needed a year or two at SAM before sliding over to the middle. Now that we're no longer running the Tampa 2, a 6'-0", 230# MLB is almost useless. I think he'll need a couple years now before he can make an impact on this defense. On the other hand, you could see a lot of 3-4 looks with Sims, Dizon, Curry, and Peterson all out there somewhere . . .

Lenon is a UFA and probably won't be re-signed.

Peace

policy

I believe Dizon played inside and outside at Colorado and the Kitties were trying him in both roles last season before he flamed out.

But I was referring to policy's projection of having Sims inside, the drafted Curry on one side and Peterson on the other. If I'm reading his post correctly, that is...

And to keg's point, he's right... I had noted in the IDP forum that I wasn't a big fan of Hill, but now that makes sense, and he does jump up as a possible "sleeper" next season.

:wacko:

Millen wanted him installed at the middle immedately, but Marinelli wanted him to be seasoned at the outside first. When Millen got fired, Dizon went from third-string Mike to #2 Sam . . . then he got hurt and went on IR.

Actually I think Curry would be inside, going sideline-to-sideline, while Peterson and Sims are more free to attack. Schwartz has said that he doesn't like to use strongside/weakside specializations, just "OLB" and "MLB" . . . we'll see, but I still say Curry is the combination of incredible talent and rock-solid character that Schwatz wants to build his D around.

Peace

policy

From the Seattle perspective, if Curry makes it to them at 1.04, does he go there? DO the Seahawks address OLB earlier in the draft?

Might make sense to get some insurance on Hill and someone to take over for DD Lewis midseason.

Anyone else think that a guy like Gerald McRath would be a perfect fit?

This looks like two teams dumping big contracts more than anything. Peterson has been a gamer, but his pass rush skills diminished greatly last season. That could have very well been a result of no d-line presence after Patrick Kearney got hurt midway through the year. Redding becomes the focal point of a defensive line that has been desperate for some kind of presence in the middle for a few seasons now.

Mostly, I think this opens up the potential for the Seahawks to draft Curry, as OLB and a pass rush becomes a large hole.

This looks like two teams dumping big contracts more than anything. Peterson has been a gamer, but his pass rush skills diminished greatly last season. That could have very well been a result of no d-line presence after Patrick Kearney got hurt midway through the year. Redding becomes the focal point of a defensive line that has been desperate for some kind of presence in the middle for a few seasons now.

Mostly, I think this opens up the potential for the Seahawks to draft Curry, as OLB and a pass rush becomes a large hole.

I don't think he'll be there. If Detroit doesn't pick him KC should.

And I don't believe Dizon can play NFL LB.

Sims is a weakside LB, not Mike

Peterson is a Strongside LB

Dizon or Lennon will play inside.

This trade means there is no way Curry is going to Detroit. Curry is not an MLB.

Detroit takes Stafford #1.

Peterson isn't a strongside linebacker. Leroy Hill plays that side here. I had assumed Sims was.

I see the money thing, but can't really get this deal into my head. The Seahawks just spent 20 million+ on a free agent DT (Cole), and they still have Mebane. Is Redding even a starter for us?

I love DD Lewis, but he isn't a starting quality linebacker on a good defense. He is a great 4th linebacker and special teamer. I guess this means the Hawks HAVE to take Curry if he is still there.

At first thought, I don't like this move for the Seahawks. Peterson may have been our single best player on this roster. We certainly don't get better right away from this deal. If the Seahawks really wanted Curry, they could have simply let Leroy Hill walk away.

Who can give me a good breakdown on Redding? I know just about nothing of this guy.

I guess this narrows down the Lions to choose between tackle/QB, does it not?

Edited by Seahawks21

Sims is a weakside LB, not Mike

Peterson is a Strongside LB

Dizon or Lennon will play inside.

This trade means there is no way Curry is going to Detroit. Curry is not an MLB.

Detroit takes Stafford #1.

not a lions fan...but im rooting for em here...i love CJ...and they are in a good position here to get things moving in the right direction...and mayhew looks to up to the task....great deal he pulled with dallas for roy....and i know patience is running thin in detroit....but i gotta preach patience with their football team

big mistake taking stafford #1...way too inconsistent in the speed rules SEC....never came up in big games...and he had weapons....remember schwartz's blackjack analogy???

like i said before with patience...too many people are looking at matt ryan and flaccos early success....ryan hardly lit the world on fire....he benefited from a strong running game...and flacco from a running game and a defense.....alot of people are going to be looking for the quick fix savior....they need to get the defense right and the running game going consistenly before worrying about whos back there....and are in a good position to get that process going with the picks they have.....

Agree.

Could this also mean that Seattle goes DT at 4?

No way. Red Bryant, who the Hawks like, is now the #4 DT behind Redding, Cole & Mebane. I don't see them using the #4 pick on a fifth DT. We are as good there as we are gonna get.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatric...tml?eref=fromSI

when mayock talks...i listen....

and honestly...its something i learned quite some time ago and i tell people all of the time...tons of guys come through this league with big arms...its pocket presence and the ability to process information quickly that seperate the franchise qbs from the rest.....and stafford just didnt do it well enough in a league thats most comparible to the nfl in terms of speed on defense

Dizon, unfortunately, was a bit of a project . . . even Marinelli thought he needed a year or two at SAM before sliding over to the middle. Now that we're no longer running the Tampa 2, a 6'-0", 230# MLB is almost useless. I think he'll need a couple years now before he can make an impact on this defense. On the other hand, you could see a lot of 3-4 looks with Sims, Dizon, Curry, and Peterson all out there somewhere . . .

Lenon is a UFA and probably won't be re-signed.

Peace

policy

Ah, didn't realize Lenon was a UFA. Easy dump there.

I've read that Dizon may end up in Indy... but with them ditching the Cover-2 (presumably) then Dizon is crap-outta-luck there too I'd imagine.

Millen wanted him installed at the middle immedately, but Marinelli wanted him to be seasoned at the outside first. When Millen got fired, Dizon went from third-string Mike to #2 Sam . . . then he got hurt and went on IR.

Actually I think Curry would be inside, going sideline-to-sideline, while Peterson and Sims are more free to attack. Schwartz has said that he doesn't like to use strongside/weakside specializations, just "OLB" and "MLB" . . . we'll see, but I still say Curry is the combination of incredible talent and rock-solid character that Schwatz wants to build his D around.

Peace

policy

Honestly I haven't done my due diligence on every rook-to-be thus far. I wasn't sure if Curry projected as a MLB or OLB. Either way, a LB corps of Sims, Curry and Peterson would be a deadly combination of veteran leadership and youthful athleticism.

Honestly I haven't done my due diligence on every rook-to-be thus far. I wasn't sure if Curry projected as a MLB or OLB. Either way, a LB corps of Sims, Curry and Peterson would be a deadly combination of veteran leadership and youthful athleticism.

Frankly, Curry is a more natural OLB, if only because he's got breathtaking pass-rush ability. Of course, he also has breathtaking man-to-man coverage ability, zone coverage ability, open-field tackling, and lights people up. Oh, and he's 6'-2, 254#, and ran a 4.56 at the combine. He's not a prototypical meat-headed, glass-eating run stopper, but he's more than big enough, fast enough, and tough enough to play the middle. IMO, he probably doesn't get drafted #1 unless the Lions thought he could play middle anyway. The projected contract for 1.1 would make him like $3M/yr richer than any other linebacker anyway . . .

The overriding thing to me is that Schwartz has said throughout the entire process is that he wants, for the 1.1, a player like Megatron--a player with incredible physical gifts, as well as superior character. A special person, as well as a special player. I really think that that screams "Curry".

Peace

policy

Peterson isn't a strongside linebacker. Leroy Hill plays that side here. I had assumed Sims was.

I see the money thing, but can't really get this deal into my head. The Seahawks just spent 20 million+ on a free agent DT (Cole), and they still have Mebane. Is Redding even a starter for us?

I love DD Lewis, but he isn't a starting quality linebacker on a good defense. He is a great 4th linebacker and special teamer. I guess this means the Hawks HAVE to take Curry if he is still there.

At first thought, I don't like this move for the Seahawks. Peterson may have been our single best player on this roster. We certainly don't get better right away from this deal. If the Seahawks really wanted Curry, they could have simply let Leroy Hill walk away.

Who can give me a good breakdown on Redding? I know just about nothing of this guy.

I guess this narrows down the Lions to choose between tackle/QB, does it not?

For as much of a beast JP was in 2006-07, it was frustrating to watch his output diminish during the 2nd half of both seasons. I'd much rather keep Hill instead of JP. It's reported JP was going to be cut as he wasn't open to renegotiating his salary. Not necessarily excited about this trade, but in no way dissapointed. I know little about Redding, but from what I can tell about Cole, he was a career backup for a reason.

Edited by bushwacked

Frankly, Curry is a more natural OLB, if only because he's got breathtaking pass-rush ability. Of course, he also has breathtaking man-to-man coverage ability, zone coverage ability, open-field tackling, and lights people up. Oh, and he's 6'-2, 254#, and ran a 4.56 at the combine. He's not a prototypical meat-headed, glass-eating run stopper, but he's more than big enough, fast enough, and tough enough to play the middle. IMO, he probably doesn't get drafted #1 unless the Lions thought he could play middle anyway. The projected contract for 1.1 would make him like $3M/yr richer than any other linebacker anyway . . .

The overriding thing to me is that Schwartz has said throughout the entire process is that he wants, for the 1.1, a player like Megatron--a player with incredible physical gifts, as well as superior character. A special person, as well as a special player. I really think that that screams "Curry".

Peace

policy

Great analysis, and I agree that he could be talking about Curry... unless he's already slobbering on Stafford's knob.

For as much of a beast JP was in 2006-07, it was frustrating to watch his output diminish during the 2nd half of both seasons. I'd much rather keep Hill instead of JP. It's reported JP was going to be cut as he wasn't open to renegotiating his salary. Not necessarily excited about this trade, but in no way dissapointed. I know little about Redding, but from what I can tell about Cole, he was a career backup for a reason.

Redding will be a decent run-stopper and certainly a fine replacement for the departed Bernard.

Peace

policy

...despite the fact that they have almost nothing on the front line? Dunno about this trade.

IMO this removes any lingering doubt that Stafford is the pick for DET.

Frankly, Curry is a more natural OLB, if only because he's got breathtaking pass-rush ability.

They were interviewing him on Sirius yesterday, and they were asking about his mere 6 sacks ( I think career wise). Even if it was just last season, they were basically asking why he wasnt involved much in pash rush, and his response was basically the scheme he was in. That said, Ive never seen him play, but according to the interview, he hasnt really had much chance to pass rush.

Again, I havent seen him play, so maybe the numbers dont tell the whole tale...