[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scared to fly

Missoula Griz

I am already dreading the flight to Maui for our vacation next week. When I was 10 years old, my parents were both killed in an airplane crash. I have only flown once since 911, and I did not fare real well.

Other than drinking heavily, do any of you have other suggestions. I have a doctors appointment the day before the flight so I will discuss it with a professional as well.

Sorry to hear about your folks, obviosuly you have a very valid reason to be worried about flying. :wacko:

I think Wiegie's suggestion is pretty solid. Also inform yourself about flying safety and you'll see just how incredibly safe it actually is.

http://www.gogetterjetsetter.com/how-safe-is-flying.php

http://www.aopa.org/learntofly/startfly/safe.html

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/safety/pf/pf_howsafe.html

:wacko: My idea probably wouldn't work then with kids along. Since the stressful times are takeoff and landing, I was going to suggest some positive reinforcement during those times. A blanket on your lap and a warm hand from your wife could get you to see things from a better perspective.

I am already dreading the flight to Maui for our vacation next week. When I was 10 years old, my parents were both killed in an airplane crash. I have only flown once since 911, and I did not fare real well.

Other than drinking heavily, do any of you have other suggestions. I have a doctors appointment the day before the flight so I will discuss it with a professional as well.

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear about your parents.

I am flying out tomorrow to see my GF in South Carolina. I have NEVER flown sober. I have also recently quit drinking which brings up quite a conflict.

I will be taking the Xanax approach and let you know how it works!

Im an aircraft mechanic and hate to fly...best advice I can tell is watch the Stewardess. When turbulence gets bad and they still are serving drinks and talking about random things you know you are ok...its when they start screaming you have problems.

...and yes one bird is not enough to crash a jet, but a flock will. The fighters take birds down the engines more than you would think and we mostly just borescope the insides and call it good if there is no damage.

and ive always been told the poultry is frozen when they do the tests, could be some crusty NCO blowing smoke though :wacko:

booze is the route i go.

Dude, sorry about your folks. This however is a good opportunity for personal growth. Man up and make your fear your girl dog. When I flew back from Mexico City a few years ago I was reasonably sure the plane was going down. I just prayed that we would crash and burn on the Texas side so it gave me something to look forward to, I mean crossing back into the US.

I ain't never seen me a chicken the size of a Canadian goose. But I did see a frog the size of a dog once. Just saying.

Canada goose, dumbass.

i echo the sentiments about your parents and the advice about xanax. my wife is a nervous flyer and swears by xanax.