[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Engineering Challenge

Savage Beatings

The foundation of my house was built up in order to give us a basement lookout. This means we have to go up some steps in order to get in to any of the doors to our house. Our front steps are particularly perilous. They are very narrow and can be quite dangerous in the winter. Here's the thing though, they are basically permanent because they are consturcted out of one giant block of (cement/concrete - I don't know the difference).

Here are some pictures: steps 1, steps 2, steps 3

Here are the measurements: sidewalk, then 9 solid steps, then front porch. Rise over Run is approx. 7" over 10". 10' 7.5" (127.5") from left to right.

Here is the challenge: I'd like to see if it is possible to basically build a set of wooden steps to go over the 9 existing ones. And I'm wondering if we can make the wooden steps with more than 10" of run so that people's feet can fit on them better. I'd like to see if we can get at least another 1" of run out of them if not more. Is this kind of thing possible? :wacko:

ETA: total height from ground to top step is 64" and total depth from house to front step is 92"

Edited by Savage Beatings

Damn, them's some STEEP stairs.

The answer is yes, of course, you could over build the concrete ones with wooden ones. Be aware that any shift on thos concrete stairs will affect what is resting on them.

But even widening the stairs still makes them really steep. I would likely consider somehow reducing the angle. Perhaps adding a turn and a landing?

First, it is concrete. Cement is the bonding agent in concrete, but is not concrete itself.

For the question, the steeper the slope, the less of a run is called for. If you build the steps so the overall slope is flatter, you can put in those wider steps.

a calculator for this

By the way, in the south when a house is advertised with a basement, that is really the first floor, and there is a full flight of steps leading to the main front door as what is called the first floor is really the second floor, so that is seen a lot around here.

I don't need to keep the number of steps at 9. The thing that I couldn't quite figure is if I increase the run by 1" or 2" per step with a wooden step on top of the concrete, wouldn't I somehow run out of base steps to build on top of? I'm not even sure how to phrase my concern here.

I don't need to keep the number of steps at 9. The thing that I couldn't quite figure is if I increase the run by 1" or 2" per step with a wooden step on top of the concrete, wouldn't I somehow run out of base steps to build on top of? I'm not even sure how to phrase my concern here.

Yes, you will run out, of course. I'd consider total replacement but that's going to be expensive. The other alternative might be to put a turn in as someone mentioned already and make the new set wider while basically filling in the old ones. Again, expensive.

can you just build up a new set of wood steps relying on the old steps for support, but not necessarily built directly resting on them? basically, build the set of steps like you would a deck, basically ignoring the steps themselves, only using them to act as the ground for support beams where necessary. i think this would cause you to wall up the sides or add some lattice in order to cover up the fact that you had built over other steps.

can you just build up a new set of wood steps relying on the old steps for support, but not necessarily built directly resting on them? basically, build the set of steps like you would a deck, basically ignoring the steps themselves, only using them to act as the ground for support beams where necessary. i think this would cause you to wall up the sides or add some lattice in order to cover up the fact that you had built over other steps.

Yeah, I think that's precisely the kind of idea I am looking for. Thanks! :wacko:

Wow. That tread looks like it is barely 6" . Do they have residential building codes in Minny ? :wacko: Cut a stringer to the specs you would like place it alongside of the existing steps and see how it will work out, you may be able to bury it. If not take a jackhammer to that thing and start over. Make the rise and run on the new set to suit.

Rise must be 7 3/8" t0 7 3/4" max here. Tread depth is 9" min. to 9 3/8" FWIW .

Based upon what you have written, you have 7" of rise and 10" of run. That is fairly typical in residential construction. 10" is generally the smallest tread depth allowed by code. You could actually have a little bit more rise. I believe 7 1/2" is usually allowable for rise, so they could be a little bit steeper. One possible solution that would be much cheaper than actually addressing the rise and run of the stair would be to possibly put another handrail in the center of the steps. The width of the steps is pretty large, and if you had something to hold on to, it would probably alleviate a great deal of the problem. Those stairs have a nice finish, and should last a good long time. I just hate to see you put something on top of them that is less durable.

FYI...my brick guy charged me $200.00 a step. Worth every penny. Makes the front of the house look great. You'll get every penny back when you sell it. Get a jackhammer and start from scratch.

Interesting... I hadn't even considered starting over with brick. I was just thinking about either wood or maintenance free decking material over the existing concrete. I'll for sure have to look into that.

Like Perch said they did a beautiful job except for the tread length.......Timmay is prolly right w/ the jackhammer....have the new set either composite wood or concrete or brick split in 1/2 with a landing and turn.....when ya lengthin the tread the sidewalk won't line up anyway but ya can save some of it with a gradual ghey swoop to the new.......that landing is a nice break for the old folks......when ya add brick you're gonna need a footing so that's more tacos and work......as nice as those steps look i bet there's a footing under it