[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mexican Bird Flu

theeohiostate

Any threads on this....didn't see any.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qj0kZkqmVo...feature=related

I read a post made by a doctor from the Mexican Institute of Health , he stated that there are far more deaths then being reported. He stated that in his hospital alone, 3 to 4 are dying each day and this has been going on for 3 weeks.

FWIW, I get info on things like this sent to my work e-mail regarding these things for obvious reasons. The outbreak has "pandemic potential" because it meets 2 of the 3 criteria for pandemic. 1) it is a new strain so our immune systems aren't used to it. 2) There have been deaths related. The third has not been confirmed and that is that it needs to be easily transferred from person to person. Again, the third has not been officially confirmed.

Another major point that the e-mail I got is that you can't get it by eating pork provided it's properly prepared. Same rules apply as always for pork, that, provided it is cooked, you're good to go. If you want to be paranoid, stick to pork stew and away from things like chops that have a smaller window of goodness between cooked enough and dry as hell.

In terms of stopping avoid the spread, it is no different than any other illness, wash your hands often and avoid touching your eyes and nose. Typically stuff that you do during cold and flu season.

Its hitting San Diego. They are actually screening crossers at the border. We live 5 exits from there and they have already shut 1 school down. Getting kinda scary.

They said 100K people cross the Tijuana border...every day. That's amazing. How do you police that without shutting it down?

I'm not overly concerned. Like someone else said the regular old flu kills something like 36,000 a year. Remember the SARS scare, somewhere around 1,000 died from that, yet you would have thought it was the plague the way the WHO, CDC, and media played it. This is pretty much the same thing. A lot of the reasons for so many deaths in Mexico City are contributing factors. Mexico City's air quality is about 10 times worse than that of LA. Smoking is much more prevalent, especially in the youth. They also have several vitamin deficiencies due to poor diet. Last I heard there were 8 confirmed cases in Texas, and only one of the patients had to be hospitalized, and they expect that patient to make a full recovery.

Meh. Media blowing this out of proportion at this point. Panic and irrational behavior in the public is a bigger concern to me.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to see the light.