[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Job Interview

Brentastic

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In myt profession I almost always have to sit through a panel interview of a Board of Directors. Not only nerve wracking, but also one of the BEST ways to go through an interview.

I usually ask challenging questions BACK at individuals of the panel and just watch their reactions to the questions, not necessarily the answer.

Just like reading tells in poker, find the "tells" that let you know you are on the right track.

I definitely like to try and control the interview by asking a ton of questions. When they ask you a question, ask one back to make them expand on it or clarify it. Don't be afraid to make it seem like you are interviewing them. Especially if it is for a leadership position. It also gives me a feel for the person(s) I'll be working with. How do they deal with somone with a take charge attitude? Can they only work with a perceived position of power?

As much as I need a job, it's quite possible that putting myself in a bad work situation could make me worse off 3 to 6 months from now. That is to be avoided at all costs.

My favorite question is "What is the worst mistake you've made in you career, and I'm not talking about working for company "A" instead of company "B", I'm talking about when you F'd something up royally."

Another one of my favorite questions is "We offer you a company truck, a gas card, insurance and a 401K that we match to a certain percentage, what do you think you need for a salary? Don't low ball it, because this relationship has to be good for you as well as good for us, but don't over shoot it, because we will not negotiate, we will either take you or leave you based on what you say you need."

"What do you want to be doing 5 years from now?" If they say working for us, I usually follow it up with "in what capacity?"

Do you have family locally? Kid's, etc.. Helps to determine the likelihood of them up an moving once you've spent time and energy training them.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Wow, you've got some great candidates :wacko:

I pride myself in over-preparedness. During my phone interview, I busted out their mission statement and some data from their financial statements. I plan on studying for about 4 hours tonight in preparation. Thanks for your input.

one of the best and probably most over looked parts of interviewing is doing your homework on the company...also you know they are going to ask if you have any questions....dont be the guy that says, Nope no questions.

If the question comes up "what is your favorite song" Don't answer that Bears fight song you paste here 100's of times during the NFL season. :wacko:

Good luck!!

That's when I tear off my shirt and show that HUGH C (hicago) in blue and orange and then yell the Bear fight song.

one of the best and probably most over looked parts of interviewing is doing your homework on the company...also you know they are going to ask if you have any questions....dont be the guy that says, Nope no questions.

+ :wacko:

Drives me crazy when you give some an open invitation to demonstrate something special about themselves and they pass. If you aren't going to rise to the occasion and and "wow" me during the interview, chances are its all downhill from there once (if) they get the job.

Edited by yo mama

+ :D

Drives me crazy when you give some an open invitation to demonstrate something special about themselves and they pass. If you aren't going to rise to the occasion and and "wow" me during the interview, chances are its all downhill from there once (if) they get the job.

I hear ya. I always have questions prepared. Actually, to be perfectly honest, I was hoping to get some thoughts and ideas I haven't already thought of, but so far, I have everything covered. Not surprising I guess, I'm a pretty amazing person - well, I'm Brentastic. :wacko:

If the company you're interviewing with, find out which analyst has the highest and which analyst has the lowest earning estimates for the company, try to get their reports, read them and use them to ask the interviewer strategic questions about their employer that would be relevant to their particular area (i.e., ask the marketing guy about sales growth, but not about some sort of odd-ball derivatives transaction buried in the footnote ... and ask the guy in corporate treasury to talk about commercial paper issuance and corporate funding during Q4'08 and Q'09 and what he/she learned during that period) ... etc ...

Many companies are using the STAR method (or something similar) in interviewing. If you are prepared to answer intelligently with an understanding of this, you'll be better prepared than most.

The STAR acronym stands for Situation, Task, Action, Result. If you are asked a question about how you have resolved a conflict with a coworker in the past, be able to specifically spell out a situation you had, the task you were trying to complete and why there was conflict, the action plan you followed and the result of your action. Don't be afraid to use an actual failure if you can be specific and ready to explain what you learned from the experience and what you would do differently if in a similar situation in the future.

Researching the company you are interviewing is a given, but it is amazing how many candidates don't do this.

Don't name drop unless you get the distinct impression it will be well received.

Also ask as many questions as feels appropriate - too many candidates come across as uncurious - uninterested. Not good. One question I recommend asking is, "What one trait would you like to see that would make me the best __________ you've ever had?"

Ask the interviewer(s) what they like best about the company.

Good luck!

I interviewed 25 years ago for a job on the floor of the Philly Stock Exchange. The last question was take a stab @ the sq. mileage of Mexico. I guessed it filled 1/2 a rectangle that was 1500x1000 miles. So I answered 750,000 sq miles. In actuality the rectangle is 1000x1500 & the answer was 756,000. The bosses were so impressed, that they took me around to the whole firm & introduced me as the closest guesser ever. Seems they had asked that question for years.

I didn't get the job.

So, I absolutely killed the interview. The interviewee spent about 45 minutes talking and asking me questions then asked me if I had any questions for her. I asked questions for about an hour and 15 minutes. She told me she wanted me back for a 2nd interview where I would meet with the CEO and V.P. - adding that it's important for personalities to gel in order to keep the family happy.

What I have to do now is get a urine test at a local testing facility :D I knew it might happen but haven't had to do this since my military days. It just makes me realize that this company might be a bunch of tight-asses. I don't know how this helps them but it is what it is I guess. I can kind of expect it from a job requiring physical labor or driving but a desk job :wacko:

Wish me luck people.

What I have to do now is get a urine test at a local testing facility :D I knew it might happen but haven't had to do this since my military days. It just makes me realize that this company might be a bunch of tight-asses. I don't know how this helps them but it is what it is I guess. I can kind of expect it from a job requiring physical labor or driving but a desk job :wacko:

Every company is interesting in trying to protect themselves and minimize their financial risk. I doubt too many of them run a drug testing program because they want to be tight asses.