[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Snapping Turtle in the Front Yard

The Irish Doggy

So I ago out to throw the ball with the dog this evening and smack in the middle of the front yard - a snapper with about an 18 inch shell - so its not as big as a frog as big as the dog. Of course the dog finds it first and starts to go bathsit crazy. I corral the dog and throw her back inside the house.

I didn't like the thought of the neighbors 6 and 10 yo girls playing with one of these suckers around, so leaving it alone didn't seem safe.

I maneuvered it into a trash can with a snow shovel.

I'm thinking of relocating it to an out-of-the-way stream tomorrow morning.

Opinions. Good idea/ bad idea?

What kind of a pink taco uses a snow shovel to pick up a turtle?

Gotta say I agree here as well.

When I was up in Ms years ago I learned that even Water Moccasins can be handled without yard implements. Turtles? :wacko:

We get them in our yard from time to time. Sounds like a mama who just got done laying her eggs -- or maybe she was on her way to do that. Keep an eye out for babies making their way across your yard sometime soon. It's not uncommon for them to lay away from the nearest water. We happen to have a stream the runs by the back of our property.

Snapping turtles often carry salmonella on their shells. Usually not a good idea to be handling them unless you touch nothing else and wash your hands immediately afterwards.

This all depends on where they live of course. If there are in brackish water, thats what can carry Salmonella and other parasites.

What kind of a pink taco uses a snow shovel to pick up a turtle?

Snapping turtles often carry salmonella on their shells. Usually not a good idea to be handling them unless you touch nothing else and wash your hands immediately afterwards.

This all depends on where they live of course. If there are in brackish water, thats what can carry Salmonella and other parasites.

+1 - ninnies. My 7-y/o daughter can handle 'em. :wacko:

Make a good soup is right.

I let em sit in a 55 gal. barrel for a week to "clean out" first.

Don't get on the wrong side of em though, pick em up by the tail, shell towards you or you will be sorry.

We caught a big one at the club, prolly 24" he was shot 2 times in the head & once in the neck with a .22, lived for three days , before we butchered em.

Part dinosaur they are. :wacko: