[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

District 9 movie

TimC

Surprised me how many people people in this thread really thought it was good (or perhaps just said they did because someone else did). I really did hate it but that doesnt mean other people cant enjoy it. To each their own...

i've read several columns calling it one of the best sci-fi films of the DECADE ... so some people definitely like it.

maybe you should watch it again ...

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've read several columns calling it one of the best sci-fi films of the DECADE ... so some people definitely like it.

I thought it was fantastic - just really well done and original - special effects and cgi were top notch.

some peeps just don't like sci-fi but in the very least it was a well-acted, first rate production.

We recently rented it and enjoyed it alot - even my wife did. I found it to be very originial and rather different from other movies about aliens and the like. I went into it thinking that it would be a big cinematic metaphor for race relations but it really wasn't. I guess I enjoyed it so much because I did not know what was going to happen. It's one of the best movies I have seen in a while. Not sure what people did not enjoy about it. You have to admit it was different.

See, I didnt find it the least bit original. I thought it looked like a cross between most alien movies I have seen and most movies I have seen about mass poverty/class warfare/etc. Looked to me like they got together and said 'lets take a couple parts from a bunch of popular sci-fi movies, some war movies, etc and mix it up with some cgi and see what we come up with'.

No, thanks

And to reiterate, I am not knocking those that did like it. Just saying I didnt.

I thought it was fantastic - just really well done and original - special effects and cgi were top notch.

some peeps just don't like sci-fi but in the very least it was a well-acted, first rate production.

Again, you saw it as original where I saw it as a cheezy knock-off of a bunch of other movies. Didnt see any real point to it other than to show off what you can do with special effects on a hugh budget... Edited by Delicious_bass

Again, you saw it as original where I saw it as a cheezy knock-off of a bunch of other movies. Didnt see any real point to it other than to show off what you can do with special effects on a hugh budget...

Please tell which "bunch of other movies" you are referring to. Thanks.

See, I didnt find it the least bit original. I thought it looked like a cross between most alien movies I have seen and most movies I have seen about mass poverty/class warfare/etc. Looked to me like they got together and said 'lets take a couple parts from a bunch of popular sci-fi movies, some war movies, etc and mix it up with some cgi and see what we come up with'.

You are completely entitled to your opinion - I am jsut surprised. I do not recall seeing a movie where the aliens were derelicts and that humans had to take care of them. The angle of aliens-only being able to use their weaponry and how that was interwoven into the main characters transformation was another thing I find refreshing. Granted I do not see a lot of Sci-Fi movies but I rarely knew what was going to happen.

You are completely entitled to your opinion - I am jsut surprised. I do not recall seeing a movie where the aliens were derelicts and that humans had to take care of them. The angle of aliens-only being able to use their weaponry and how that was interwoven into the main characters transformation was another thing I find refreshing. Granted I do not see a lot of Sci-Fi movies but I rarely knew what was going to happen.

Alien Nation, District 9 blows goats.

Not bad as a movie, but I would have liked some more info on the "lead" alien and his story.

Somewhat comparable to Alien nation, but they were integrated into society, whereas the District 9 aliens were treated as outcasts.

Couldnt set up easier for sequels, but a little more info would have been nice for the character development.

I watched it tonight, and thought it was great. Most of the people I talk to that did not like it are not big sci fi fans.

One plot "hole" I noticed . . . How did a bunch of aliens with badass weaponry get confined in a concentration camp anyways? And the weaponry was still inside with them??? 1.8 million of them?

But I too thought the movie was very enjoyable. A little gory.

I look forward to the sequel. Want to find out how they got there and why.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw it and was sort of "meh".

The fact that it seems to be a vehicle for sequals annoyed me more than it intrigued me.

Really? I think it works just fine as a stand-alone but they can certainly make intriguing OTHER stories using the same palette. LOVED it.

Own it now and it is very original. Nothing cookie cutter about it, thought the lead actor was fantastic. A-

I don't know that it's necessarily THAT original.

The "ship over the city" shots are straight out of the original V; the 2nd-class aliens being ghettoized/hated/exploited is Alien Nation. The mech at the end was pretty close to ED-209 from Robocop. Wilkus transformation was right out of The Fly (original AND Cronenberg versions).

All that said, I think it takes those ingredients and makes a brilliant stew that while obviously informed by prior films, is its own thing.

I went into it thinking that it would be a big cinematic metaphor for race relations but it really wasn't.

Hell yeah it is. The director has even said that it's completely informed by his growing up in Johannesburg during apartheid.

The thing is that D9 just has the race subtext in there and lets you take it as you will. Other similar movies beat you about the head and neck with the metaphor.

One plot "hole" I noticed . . . How did a bunch of aliens with badass weaponry get confined in a concentration camp anyways? And the weaponry was still inside with them??? 1.8 million of them?

This is somewhat explained in the movie - the prawns that are in D9 are thought to be the drones; ergo, whatever happened on that ship, the leaders died. They have the weapons, but there is no "queen" to point the drones in the correct direction.

Which also explains why a starfaring race is stuck in a ghetto eating cat food. We're looking at, for lack of a better word, the underclass.

I look forward to the sequel. Want to find out how they got there and why.

The sequel could also be Christopher coming back. Which would be bad for South Africa and perhaps the Earth in general; yes indeedy.

Didnt see any real point to it other than to show off what you can do with special effects on a hugh budget...

The movie was reportedly made for $30 million. I think you have D9 confused with Avatar. :wacko:

I don't know that it's necessarily THAT original.

The "ship over the city" shots are straight out of the original V; the 2nd-class aliens being ghettoized/hated/exploited is Alien Nation. The mech at the end was pretty close to ED-209 from Robocop. Wilkus transformation was right out of The Fly (original AND Cronenberg versions).

All that said, I think it takes those ingredients and makes a brilliant stew that while obviously informed by prior films, is its own thing.

I appreciated the originality of the documentary type style...brought you right into the film and forced you to pay attention.

I appreciated the originality of the documentary type style...brought you right into the film and forced you to pay attention.

I was talking about the movie with Mrs Chavez today - D9 has some obvious lifts from other films, but story-wise it felt fresh.

Compared to Avatar, which despite its incredible effects, had a story (and characters) that felt stale and overly familiar.

I was talking about the movie with Mrs Chavez today - D9 has some obvious lifts from other films, but story-wise it felt fresh.

Compared to Avatar, which despite its incredible effects, had a story (and characters) that felt stale and overly familiar.

I told the wife today that it is better than Twilight.

yeah? Why didnt they use that badass weaponry and beat the crap out of the human race when they started treating them like concentration camp occupants?

They were the workers of their species and therefore had no drive or will once the leadership died aboard the ship. That's why the ship 'crashed' so to speak on earth. My thoughts were that they were stuck on the ship because they didn't know if they could/should leave or not.

And to answers the question about the ship over the city, it wasn't. It was on the outskirts and they built District 9 under it.

There are two camps when it comes to this film, you either loved it or hated it.

btw, I just got some a little while go and it's time to pee

They were the workers of their species and therefore had no drive or will once the leadership died aboard the ship. That's why the ship 'crashed' so to speak on earth. My thoughts were that they were stuck on the ship because they didn't know if they could/should leave or not.

And to answers the question about the ship over the city, it wasn't. It was on the outskirts and they built District 9 under it.

There are two camps when it comes to this film, you either loved it or hated it.

btw, I just got some a little while go and it's time to pee

Good time to have a seat and wipe off the lube? :wacko:

I was really psyched about seeing this movie, and was so sure I'd love it judging by the previews that I bought it the day it came out and I buy DVD's infrequently, maybe a couple a year max. I was pretty disappointed by it, though I feel they could have done more with the plot then they did - it could have been better, more in depth. It was a good concept, but it just fell flat. I was waiting for the handheld camera style viewshot of the film to end, but it never did unfortunately. Good special effects, but I'm tired of movies where that's all they have going for them - weak story, but great CGI - so what.

It's all set up and tied with a bow for a sequal. I'm not interested.

Haven't seen Avatar, yeah I'm the guy. As infrequently as I buy DVD's, I got to the movies even less frequently. I actually was thinking about catching a matinee, but I've been too busy on my days off. But there's got to be more than just great special effect's in that movie, it's made over a billion bucks!

But there's got to be more than just great special effect's in that movie, it's made over a billion bucks!

Nah, not really. It's like Cameron spent $499,999,999 on the effects and $1 on the script. At least that's how it came off to me.

But the effects are certainly amazing.

Edited by Chavez

• 1 year later...