[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can these babies make it?

Scooby

One of my best friends is delivering twins tonite after every problem under the sun an expectant mom can have, at just 23 wks, haven't heard yet if they are alive, if she's ok, etc...she had severe preeclampsia which led to this emergency c-section. Anyone know of babies being born this early with a good outcome? I'm so worried and travelling down to SA tomorrow to be with her. Don't worry MSHBII, I've pre-selected & the hubby has strict orders to contact me for remaining picks. Please pray for Laurie

28 weeks is the so called "safe zone." My son was born at 35 weeks and spent 10 days in the NICU. I saw some preemies there that were around 25 weeks. They were doing great.

Technology has come a long way. They'll probably need breathing help and obviously will be tube fed. And if they make it, they'll be in the NICU for probably at least 3 months.

My prayers are with them.

thnx all!! a quick update, she delivered 2 baby boys, one didn't make it, just 14 oz, the other was larger and seems to be doing fine, a long stay in the NICU for sure, but I know he's a little fighter. Can't wait to see her tomorrow

You'll be of great help for everyone. NICUs and PICUs are amazing places. I've spent 9 of the last 17 months in them. I've seen babies that fit in the palm of your hand a year ago that are crawling and standing now. The doctors and nurses in those units are always top notch. Hopefully, the only problems will be size and weight.

A little advice, make sure you have plenty of moisturizer for your hands. They are not bull$hitting about the 3 minutes of scrubbing up to the elbows. After about a week my hands were raw.

Keep us posted and we will keep sending the best vibes we can conjure up.

You'll be of great help for everyone. NICUs and PICUs are amazing places. I've spent 9 of the last 17 months in them. I've seen babies that fit in the palm of your hand a year ago that are crawling and standing now. The doctors and nurses in those units are always top notch. Hopefully, the only problems will be size and weight.

A little advice, make sure you have plenty of moisturizer for your hands. They are not bull$hitting about the 3 minutes of scrubbing up to the elbows. After about a week my hands were raw.

Keep us posted and we will keep sending the best vibes we can conjure up.

not sure what to expect, do you think they will lt me go into the NICU? I would of course love to, but thought this place was off limits. Did your babies have to spend time in the NICU? So hard I'm sure

not sure what to expect, do you think they will lt me go into the NICU? I would of course love to, but thought this place was off limits. Did your babies have to spend time in the NICU? So hard I'm sure

We were in civilian hospitals but they would let two people in at a time to see my daughter. Not mom and dad and one guest, two at a time. What rules you will have, I'm not sure. The visitor procedures were the same at both.

Mom generally does not want the baby out of her sight. Sometimes they need to do things that mom should not see. My wife's friends were the best at getting her to go downstairs for a cup of coffee.

My youngest daughter was an induced on time baby with a hole in her heart that caused her pulmonary artery and aorta to be misshapen. She spent her first month in PICU at Presbyterian Dallas. She had her first open heart surgery in July of 2007 and her second in February both at Medical City here in Dallas. She's standing and crawling now and trying to walk. Running behind schedule on all the physical milestones but with each next one she gets closer and closer to "normal". 24 months is the big deal for her condition so I'm scared to say anything else as far a jinxing things goes because we've got until March 13 there.

And everyone there has equally horrible and terrible stuff going on from minute to minute, you are in a Pediatric/Neonatal Intesive Care Unit after all. One day something will happen that convinces you there couldn't possibly be a god but there just might be a devil. Then the next day you'll witness something that you will only be able to describe as a miracle.

You are going to be worn out when you get home. They are lucky to have a friend like you. Despite my post count I don't like to talk much but if there's anything I can do I am compelled to help so just say the word. Good luck to all of you.

We were in civilian hospitals but they would let two people in at a time to see my daughter. Not mom and dad and one guest, two at a time. What rules you will have, I'm not sure. The visitor procedures were the same at both.

Same for us. I said one at a time but I meant Mom or Dad and one guest.

Mom generally does not want the baby out of her sight. Sometimes they need to do things that mom should not see. My wife's friends were the best at getting her to go downstairs for a cup of coffee.

My youngest daughter was an induced on time baby with a hole in her heart that caused her pulmonary artery and aorta to be misshapen. She spent her first month in PICU at Presbyterian Dallas. She had her first open heart surgery in July of 2007 and her second in February both at Medical City here in Dallas. She's standing and crawling now and trying to walk. Running behind schedule on all the physical milestones but with each next one she gets closer and closer to "normal". 24 months is the big deal for her condition so I'm scared to say anything else as far a jinxing things goes because we've got until March 13 there.

And everyone there has equally horrible and terrible stuff going on from minute to minute, you are in a Pediatric/Neonatal Intesive Care Unit after all. One day something will happen that convinces you there couldn't possibly be a god but there just might be a devil. Then the next day you'll witness something that you will only be able to describe as a miracle.

You are going to be worn out when you get home. They are lucky to have a friend like you. Despite my post count I don't like to talk much but if there's anything I can do I am compelled to help so just say the word. Good luck to all of you.

praying for you and your family, I had no idea, I have a feeling all will turn out just fine for you. Prayer of St. Francis sending your way now--the coolest saint ever known to mankind!! Thanks all for the good vibes, I'm tired but can't sleep right now so wound up. She already had a miscarriage before this pregancy, she's been thru so much

Just wanted to add my prayers and best wishes for the little one. The 23-week newborn survival rate depends on the NICU involved, but the remaining baby should have a better than 50-50 chance of making it.

We too spent about 13 days in the NICU after our daughter was born at 35 weeks, and as has already been said it was a very long 13 days. NICU care is the best you can imagine, everything will be fine. As has also already been said, no more then 2 people at a time and after major scrubbing. Thoughts and prayers with the family and Scooby

thnx all!! a quick update, she delivered 2 baby boys, one didn't make it, just 14 oz, the other was larger and seems to be doing fine, a long stay in the NICU for sure, but I know he's a little fighter. Can't wait to see her tomorrow

Prayers sent . Keep fighting little one :wacko:

Best wishes to your friend, what a heartbreak.

When my son was born (14 years ago) at 36 weeks, he had to stay in a NICU for 5 days for what turned out to be pretty minor stuff. At that time, it was very unlikely that a baby born that early would have much chance of normal development, but WOW have things changed.

I remember feeling guilty at the time going to see my relatively huge 6lb baby at the same time there were parents who literally could hold their child in the palm of their hands. :wacko: