[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best and worst of time travel movies

BeeR

Some good additions and great films mentioned, although IMO the following don't really "count" ...

Memento - great flick but he didn't travel back in time

Scrooge films - IMO not really "time travel movies" but rather Christmas-y drama with a little time thing sort of on the side - besides he doesn't really travel back in time ie isn't "there"

It's a Wonderful Life - see Scrooge. Only diff is he really is there, but still it's really a Christmas drama flick, not a time travel flick

Field of Dreams - again see above, minus the Christmas part

Tempted to add Planet of the Apes as this was really a sci fi flick - they could have just as easily been travelling to another planet vs future Earth, except for the "got ya" at the end (which I agree was important to the flick)

But really I guess I was thinking of the more drama/action types where the time travel is a serious focus and very central to the flick, vs the silly stuff or stuff where it was more of just a vehicle for the real story.

PS thank you for not mentioning "Premonition" :barf:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there was one in the 80's about jack the ripper going back and forth in time..... via a wells time machine.. edit: -> time after time. and late 70's

dead again in the early 90's with kenneth branagh and emma thompson. good flick.

enjoyed the tv show quantum leap

Edited by Bier Meister

there was one in the 80's about jack the ripper going back and forth in time..... via a wells time machine.. edit: -> time after time. and late 70's

dead again in the early 90's with kenneth branagh and emma thompson. good flick.

Ooh, if we're doing TV shows - Voyager. Finneas Boggs.

Yeah, Time After Time was the first one I thought of.

I really liked Dr Who growing up, but that falls more in to the category of moving around in space/time than I think real time travel, right? I also loved Land of the Lost when I was younger...:D It was because of the dinosaurs though...:wacko:

Yeah, Time After Time was the first one I thought of.

I really liked Dr Who growing up, but that falls more in to the category of moving around in space/time than I think real time travel, right? I also loved Land of the Lost when I was younger...:D It was because of the dinosaurs though...:wacko:

i call bull on this. you wanted to nail chacka

Hey, Back to the Future 1 is still a great movie. Seriously, I love to catch a scene or two every one of the million times its been on TBS/TNT.

We still make fun of one of my good friends because like 10 years ago, he was flipping through channels and said "Oooh... Back To the Future 2 is on!", and put the remote down. The rest of the room just stared at him silently, waiting for the punch line until we all figured out that he was actually serious.

"Dude."

"Dude."

"Dude, wth"

the butterfly effect was well done also. pretty intense stuff.

The directors cut of that movie with the extra violence and the unhappy ending were much much better than the theatrical release. I would have been pissed if I all I had was the Hollywood ending.

forgot about Timeline, I liked it...

:wacko:

Sorry I thought that was one of the worst movies (and books) ever. Unless the book suddenly got a LOT better more than 1/2 way through, because that was as much as I could tolerate (and I hate starting a book and not finishing it).

oh and the Philadelphia experiment. Crap, i totally forgot about that one.

Yeah that wasn't a great movie but I liked it anyway, esp since there are allegations of truth to it (however weak).

GB F-15s flying by the Jap zeros and them going "WT*" :wacko: Ending w/the dog was kinda fun too.

Oh....movies. Time travel...alternate time....etc.

Click was cool, and one my wife's favorites is The Family Man.

Galaxy Quest is a fun movie.

Run Lola Run is a very interesting movie involving alternate endings based on various decisions made.

If you want to talk alternative reality, The Last Temptation of Christ is quite interesting.

Event Horizon was not a sci-fi movie... it was a horror movie in a sci-fi setting. In that context, I don't think it was so bad.

I caught a few minutes of the Hawking Paradox on the Science Channel last night. Got it TiVOed for 2:00 am. Event Horizon is a player.

Weird Science had time travel in it, no? If it did, by definition that makes Weird Science the best time travel movie ever.

I caught a few minutes of the Hawking Paradox on the Science Channel last night. Got it TiVOed for 2:00 am. Event Horizon is a player.

I'm totally addicted to shows about the universe on NatGeo HD. I don't know when I started getting this channel, but it rules.

Primer

Good call. But you better have your thinking cap on, and be prepared to watch it three times. Good though.

12 Monkeys is the best time travel movie ever made.

Back to the Future Part II was the worst. Part III wasn't bad though.

Time travel movies are my favorite. I like most already mentioned. Terminator and Star Trek First Contact are both very good. So is the Star Trek with the whales, IMO. Timeline isn't bad either.

Edited by CaptainHook

WOW!!

I was going to suggest trying to track down the French short film "Le Jetee" which is what "12 Monkeys" is based on. I was going to say it's very creepy and is more of a dissolving of black and white stills than an actual film. Still, I didn't expect to find the entire thing posted on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RvmJan17q8

27 minutes, worth the investment IMO...

dang. it's been removed.