[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Special Ecuation Teacher Stabbed To Death at Local HS

Perchoutofwater

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So do you know whats better for my child?

Nope. I always start off meetings by saying to parents that they are on the experts on their child. I would like to think that I know how to run a classroom and modify the curriculum for students with special needs. I also know many different strategies that are research based on how to work with students with special needs. Parents and teachers should work together in a partnership.

While I don't think that I'd have any qualms about busting a cap in a bad guy's ass, or somebody that intends me harm, I can't imagine shooting an impaired child/teen.

Arming special ed teachers would be a disastrous idea on a whole host of levels. You could just have a bunch of "Please Sue Me and the School District" invitations for the shooter to distribute to the bullet catcher's family at the hospital or funeral home.

Edited by Furd

While I don't think that I'd have any qualms about busting a cap in a bad guy's ass, or somebody that intends me harm, I can't imagine shooting an impaired child/teen.

Arming special ed teachers would be a disastrous idea on a whole host of levels. You could just have a bunch of "Please Sue Me' invitations for the shooter to distribute to the bullet catcher's family at the hospital or funeral home.

It would probably make "death by teacher" the newest fad. :shakeshead:

Here's the Michigan definition. It varies from state to state, but is generally the same:

R 340.1706 Emotional impairment; determination; evaluation report.

Rule 6. (1) Emotional impairment shall be determined through manifestation of behavioral problems primarily in the affective domain, over an extended period of time, which adversely affect the student's education to the extent that the student cannot profit from learning experiences without special education support. The problems result in behaviors manifested by 1 or more of the following characteristics:

(a) Inability to build or maintain satisfactory interpersonal relationships within the school environment.

(:D Inappropriate types of behavior or feelings under normal circumstances.

© General pervasive mood of unhappiness or depression.

(d) Tendency to develop physical symptoms or fears associated with personal or school problems.

(2) Emotional impairment also includes students who, in addition to the characteristics specified in subrule (1) of this rule, exhibit maladaptive behaviors related to schizophrenia or similar disorders. The term "emotional impairment" does not include persons who are socially maladjusted, unless it is determined that the persons have an emotional impairment.

(3) Emotional impairment does not include students whose behaviors are primarily the result of intellectual, sensory, or health factors.

(4) When evaluating a student suspected of having an emotional impairment, the multidisciplinary evaluation team report shall include documentation of all of the following:

(a) The student's performance in the educational setting and in other settings, such as adaptive behavior within the broader community.

(:D The systematic observation of the behaviors of primary concern which interfere with educational and social needs.

© The intervention strategies used to improve the behaviors and the length of time the strategies were utilized.

(d) Relevant medical information, if any.

(5) A determination of impairment shall be based on data provided by a multidisciplinary evaluation team, which shall include a comprehensive evaluation by both of the following:

(a) A psychologist or psychiatrist.

(:D A school social worker.

The :D graemlin here seems terribly inappropriate, not something to be made light of.

:wacko:

While I don't think that I'd have any qualms about busting a cap in a bad guys ass, or somebody that intends me harm, I can't imagine shooting an impaired child/teen.

Arming special ed teachers would be a disastrous idea on a whole host of levels. You could just have a bunch of "Please Sue Me' invitation for the shooter to distribute to the bullet catcher's family at the hospital or funeral home.

Obviously the gun deal was my wife and my first reaction, and like I said it does hit kind of close to home. Still, I wouldn't have a problem with a teacher that has a CHL having a gun provided that they keep it concealed, as they have shown proficiency in shooting and know when by law a gun can and can't be used. I would not be in favor of a teacher that does not have a CHL having a gun at school. You are probably right, a stun gun would probably be a better solution, but is the school going to provide them and the training to use them?

Arming special ed teachers would be a disastrous idea on a whole host of levels. You could just have a bunch of "Please Sue Me and the School District" invitations for the shooter to distribute to the bullet catcher's family at the hospital or funeral home.

While I don't necessarily disagree with your point here, At what point in time does a student about to stab someone to death become a person that intends harm instead of being an impaired child/teen? And at that point, how is a teacher supposed to deal with the threat?

While I don't necessarily disagree with your point here, At what point in time does a student about to stab someone to death become a person that intends harm instead of being an impaired child/teen? And at that point, how is a teacher supposed to deal with the threat?

How is that different from asking someone walking down the street who suddenly gets attacked by a loon how they're supposed to deal with the threat? In a classroom you can take pre-cautions so the attackers won't be armed at least.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

How is that different from asking someone walking down the street who suddenly gets attacked by a loon how they're supposed to deal with the threat? In a classroom you can take pre-cautions so the attackers won't be armed at least.

Obviously everyone should have a firearm on their person at all times. The world is a dangerous place.

Obviously everyone should have a firearm on their person at all times. The world is a dangerous place.

Actually the world would probably be much safer if everyone that hasn't been convicted of a violent crime had a psychological test showing they weren't crazy had a gun. It would be one hell of a deterrent if thieves or car jackers knew that there was a high probability that the person they were thinking of targeting was armed.

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee

‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’

— Patrick Henry

Edited by Perchoutofwater

Actually the world would probably be much safer if everyone that hasn't been convicted of a violent crime had a psychological test showing they weren't crazy had a gun. It would be one hell of a deterrent if thieves or car jackers knew that there was a high probability that the person they were thinking of targeting was armed.

"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." --Thomas Jefferson

‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee

‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’

— Patrick Henry

This theory has never been tested. If I were a criminal and planning on doing a carjacking, and I knew that people were armed, I'd simply carjack a car where the driver was alone. I'd walk up and shoot him/her in the face. Same thing if I was a thief.

— Richard Henry Lee

— Patrick Henry

you have lost yer mind my man - you honestly think those quotes are relevant to today's world??

the idea of a supposedly "non-criminals" packing heat is absolutely idiotic - society would derail so fast it wouldn't even be funny

everyone I know that has a solid head on their shoulders - even the ones who own a firearm do not want any part of carrying a concealed weapon

From one of my favorite movies. "You just don't lead'em as much.:

This theory has never been tested. If I were a criminal and planning on doing a carjacking, and I knew that people were armed, I'd simply carjack a car where the driver was alone. I'd walk up and shoot him/her in the face. Same thing if I was a thief.

kind of a silly discussion, but I guess I'll indulge just a bit. if that's what criminals had to do to commit a carjacking, well, first of all they could do that now just as easily. why don't they (usually)? probably because they don't want to be looking at the electric chair for stealing a car or someone's purse. how much carjacking would there be if you had to commit first degree murder to pull it off effectively? probably a whole lot less than there is now.

kind of a silly discussion, but I guess I'll indulge just a bit. if that's what criminals had to do to commit a carjacking, well, first of all they could do that now just as easily. why don't they (usually)? probably because they don't want to be looking at the electric chair for stealing a car or someone's purse. how much carjacking would there be if you had to commit first degree murder to pull it off effectively? probably a whole lot less than there is now.

Less theft and more murder probably. I'll take the theft myself.

I teach students with emotional impairments/behavior disorders/emotional disturbance or whatever the local state calls the disability. My undergraduate work is specific to these students as well as having a general education endorsement to teach them as well. My master's degree is in special education administration, so I am very familiar with federal laws and court cases.

I am qualified to speak on the subject.

This type of stuff happens with students who are not labeled as special education. Segregating students based on disability is ignorant and goes against all valid research. Segregating students based on known physical threats is not. Just because you went to school does not mean you know how to run one. Just because you're married to a teacher does not mean you know how to teach.

If you think there are problems with education in this country, volunteer. Go into schools and help. Perhaps you could be the difference in a child's life that could prevent something like this from happening.

I doubt that will happen. Instead, I'm pretty sure that I'll hear how f'd up everything is because of politics, parents, and the rest of whatever it is you can come up with.

I am also someone who is qualified to speak on the subject and this is a great answer.

Less theft and more murder probably. I'll take the theft myself.

possibly, but you're also adding a disincentive to murder in the form of an increased likelihood of being shot yourself. I think if everyone had guns, there probably WOULD be less crime overall. very possibly even less murder. but I still don't like the idea. kind of along the lines of what you're saying, the idea of everybody having lethal force at their immediate disposal is scary, and would fundamentally change how people interact with each other. it's just creepy.

possibly, but you're also adding a disincentive to murder in the form of an increased likelihood of being shot yourself. I think if everyone had guns, there probably WOULD be less crime overall. very possibly even less murder. but I still don't like the idea. kind of along the lines of what you're saying, the idea of everybody having lethal force at their immediate disposal is scary, and would fundamentally change how people interact with each other. it's just creepy.

do you honestly think that more guns would = less crime, and even murder? not a chance

arming "sane" people who commit road rage, get in fistfights over trivial chit - I think that would escalate things just a bit.....

The middle school where I worked the last year or so was a program for ED kids. IMO, this all comes down to money. It costs a TON to send kids out of district to special schools. Around here, the tab is >$100k per year in many cases. The pressure is on the district to find ways to keep those kids in house as much as possible. I had kids in my program who really would have benefitted from some residential treatment but were limping along in a large public school instead.

We won't even talk about how the program I was in was run. :wacko: Holy crap.

I am not saying it is different. I am saying that the mindset of how people in general view his kind of risk is skewed.