[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

MojoMan

I didn't post this to be a debate about Obama. Obama is the pawn in this particular debate

This event shows how bogus the Nobel committee is - at least the one that votes on the peace prize (intentionally NOT capitalized).

As a physician/scientist, I was always taught to revere the Nobel Laureates. Anyone in science always aspired to win that award.

Most of the great universities in the world "advertise" how many Laureates they have.

The Nobel committe should be ashamed of itself for its choices over the past several years.

weigie, what say you about the econ laureates?

Why is the peace prize so bogus?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I can tell, nearly all of the other nobel awards are very legit. even in a field like economics, where there IS a right/left political divide, the recipients of the award come from across the spectrum and when they win it's because they did something to really advance knowledge in the field, not just because they are the most popular or whatever. it's really only the peace prize which has been turned into a complete political joke.

from what I can tell, nearly all of the other nobel awards are very legit. even in a field like economics, where there IS a right/left political divide, the recipients of the award come from across the spectrum and when they win it's because they did something to really advance knowledge in the field, not just because they are the most popular or whatever. it's really only the peace prize which has been turned into a complete political joke.

What about literature?

I don't know what Alfred wrote about those selection criteria. However, why would they choose some obscure poet or other writer.

While it can be said that Dan Brown stuff is formulaic NYT bestseller pap, his stuff does have a thought provoking and historical aspect to it and it is read by millions of people. It causes people to question their faith and look into history.

This Romanian/German woman writes poems against Ceausescu that are read by tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people.

Who had the bigger effect?

Could Dan Brown win the Nobel Prize for Literature?

I think not.

Edited by MojoMan

Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which recognize completed scientific or literary accomplishment, the Nobel Peace Prize may be awarded to persons or organizations that are in the process of resolving a conflict or creating peace.

That being said, I believe the cut off cor nominees was 11 days after he took office.

Edited by cliaz

That being said, I believe the cut off cor nominees was 11 days after he took office.

So the Nobel peace committee, in its infinite wisdom, knew that we would be surrendering our Armed Forces within a year of the change of administrations?

Name one country that likes us more now that Obama is the President.

England? Nope Yes

France? Nope Yes, probably

Russia? Nope Yes

N.Korea? Nope Probably, though they don't like anyone. Seems like there is some progress, though who really knows?

Iran? Nope

Iraq? Nope

Afghanistan? Nope

Pakistan? Nope Yes - a quick check on Pakistan's 180 turn since mid-year would make this obvious

Israel? Nope Unchanged as long as the money is rolling in

Poland? Nope Inconclusive

Czechs? Nope Inconclusive

Fixed

What about literature?

I don't know what Alfred wrote about those selection criteria. However, why would they choose some obscure poet or other writer.

While it can be said that Dan Brown stuff is formulaic NYT bestseller pap, his stuff does have a thought provoking and historical aspect to it and it is read by millions of people. It causes people to question their faith and look into history.

This Romanian/German woman writes poems against Ceausescu that are read by tens, maybe hundreds of thousands of people.

I think not.

Dan Brown is a hack.

But I did hear that Phillip Roth was being considered. He's written some good stuff.

I think not.

:wacko: dan brown is a bullsh*t artist.

This man has done nothing...NOTHING at all...to have received the accolades or the position he's attained.

Unless you count getting elected the first black President an accomplishment . . . . but then again I think ANYONE that wasnt a Republican and had a pulse would have won the election. That bar was set so low by Bush it was actually underground . . .

More importantly . . . would HILARY have won the Nobel Prize if she was the first female President? :wacko::D

Unless you count getting elected the first black President an accomplishment . . . . but then again I think ANYONE that wasnt a Republican and had a pulse would have won the election. That bar was set so low by Bush it was actually underground . . .

More importantly . . . would HILARY have won the Nobel Prize if she was the first female President? :wacko::D

Being the 2nd worse president in the last 8 years, by default, has a dignity all its own.

Edited by bushwacked

Why is everyone dogging on Obama?? He has accomplished a lot so far in his short reign as President. here is a list of his accomplishments so far:

:wacko: The first time I've ever seen a post like this and knew there was no text to be highlighted to be read. Brilliant!

Fixed

You are nuts.

England is no better or worse

France the populace likes us more, their President thinks Obama is a naive idiot.

North Korea, really! Like firing a missile as Obama is giving an nonproliferation speech. :wacko:

Israel doesn't like us nearly as much, with Obama wanting them to give away their land.

Poland, yes they were real happy with us removing the missile defense battery

Czechs, see Poland.

The only one of your so called fixes that might be somewhat accurate is Pakistan, and that is questionable. The rest you are just blowing a bunch of smoke out of your ass.