[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I almost shed a tear over Geocities

cliaz

I am amazed that AOL is still around. They used to be a behemoth and I have not heard anyone mention them in years.

I have a good friend who works for them. They are still pretty big, but I have no idea why. What service do they offer these days?

EDIT: AIM. The instant messenger is the only thing I can think of... and it's free.

Edited by AtomicCEO

I had a little geocities site a long time ago for bootleg CDR trading. last time I bothered to check it was still up, but I guess it's gone now.

Sinner.

I had one where I told stories from when I delivered pizzas while in college. Good times.

Mid 90's I spent a lot of time at AOL, weekly trivia games and such. I remember racing home from OB appointments (I was pregnant with my oldest then) to get home in time for my favorite weekly game. Dialling up and hearing the busy signal, dialling...ah, modem squeal! Those were the days. :wacko:

I had a little geocities site a long time ago for bootleg CDR trading. last time I bothered to check it was still up, but I guess it's gone now.

Me too, I started a bootleg trading newsgroup and kept my FAQ on Geocities. The site is long gone, but the newsgroup is still very active.

Remember AOL disks? I used to get them by the mail weekly. In magazines. They were everywhere. People made art with them there were so many.

Office coaster. :wacko:

Also remember the msg boards on Prodigy, were huge (esp for the time) - and not policed much *shiver* But it was the precursor to what you see today I think. Also first fantasy anything I played, baseball of all things, and later first FFL. My first pick: Barry Sanders - and he promptly had his 2000 yd season. Too bad most of the rest of my team sucked.

In fact I heard Prodigy (remember them?) is even (technically) still around-?
Prodigy the company was acquired by SBC earlier this decade. SBC then when into partnership with Yahoo forming SBC Yahoo. SBC then purchased AT&T and took on AT&T's name. AT&T now handles the support for any legacy prodigy.net email accounts, but Prodigy the company doesn't exist anymore here in the states. SBC (AT&T) was trying to sell the name though.

Mid 90's I spent a lot of time at AOL, weekly trivia games and such. I remember racing home from OB appointments (I was pregnant with my oldest then) to get home in time for my favorite weekly game. Dialling up and hearing the busy signal, dialling...ah, modem squeal! Those were the days. :wacko:

I can remember racing home to my gateway 486 with the 14.4 internal modem, logging in after lord knows how many attempts, and spending hours in chat rooms and playing NWN.

i was so excited when Walmart got their first batch of 28.8k external modems in. I went at 1AM to get one and it cost me $75.

There will never be anything like the early net

..hell i used to get a phone book like magazine that listed all the new websites that went on line each month....

I can remember racing home to my gateway 486 with the 14.4 internal modem,

I remember upgrading from the ol 2400 to a 14.4. Man the net just flew on that thing at the time, Prodigy fired up in a blink. Course it helped when I was into the finer points of memory mgt and was cramming stuff into the ol XMS and course using my bootlegged copy of PC Tools to defrag now and then, which conveniently fit on one 3.5" floppy and.....

I admit it, I miss them days. Well PC wise anyway.

Edited by BeeR