[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers -Vikings

alexgaddis

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not cheering for any damn Vikings QB except in highly exceptional circumstances, and this game didn't qualify.

hey, if the lambeau fans treated him like any other vikes QB, no big deal. but they booed him like he was santa claus in philly. really weak, IMO. green bay fans remind me of an insular religious cult.

If you are not from around here and have not heard all the crap and retire unretire crap you have no idea.

umm, I've heard more than I care to, the national media's obsession with all things favre has been sickening. one thing I know is that, yeah he jerked them around pretty bad that offseason a couple years ago. the folks in charge decided they'd be better off moving on, and I can see why they did but when he figured out that he DID want to play, he went to them. they're the ones that told HIM no. and all the fans rush to the side of dear leader GM, a coach, and QB who have proven to be no better than mediocre since favre left.

lots of great players have gone to play for other teams in the apparent twilight of their careers. the fans of the old team usually just kind of let it go, with a bit of sadness and maybe a little bitterness about how the business aspect of sports brought it all to pass. but green bay fans with favre have turned into complete bat chit bunny boilers over favre, and from where I am standing, they and the team are the ones who jilted HIM.

....I can see why they did but when he figured out that he DID want to play, he went to them. they're the ones that told HIM no. and all the fans rush to the side of dear leader GM, a coach, and QB who have proven to be no better than mediocre since favre left.

Well, Favre kinda HAD to go to them since he was under contract.

And I'd say the split was pretty even on Favre vs GB after he was traded to the Jets. But when he manuevered his way out of NY to go to Minny, I think it showed a LOT of people his true nature.

Really, it's fine that Favre was unhappy in NY and wanted out. That left him a choice of 29 destinations where most GB fans would go "keep on keepin' on Brett." Of course, he HAD to go to one of the two that would absolutely be a big finger to the people who gave him near-unconditional love for 16 yrs.

lots of great players have gone to play for other teams in the apparent twilight of their careers. the fans of the old team usually just kind of let it go, with a bit of sadness and maybe a little bitterness about how the business aspect of sports brought it all to pass. but green bay fans with favre have turned into complete bat chit bunny boilers over favre, and from where I am standing, they and the team are the ones who jilted HIM.

- Namath, Unitas, Montana, etc, in general, didn't go to bitter divisional rivals. Lots of times they weren't even in the same conference.

- yeah, some GB fans are too wound up about it. Unlike the 100% classy, level-headed, sedate fans of other teams. You know the lunatic fringe draws the biggest crowd when it comes to media coverage

- to re-iterate, I'd definitely not lay ALL the blame at Favre's feet, but I truly think he made his own bed as far as the bad divorce with GB went. Then he and Thompson both sh*t in the bed, and they fought over the sheets and managed to fling the crap all over the room and out into the hallway.

Well, Favre kinda HAD to go to them since he was under contract.

had to and did. again, the point is, it was green bay who said "no thanks, we think we're better off moving on" and it was other teams that wanted him to be their QB.

But when he manuevered his way out of NY to go to Minny, I think it showed a LOT of people his true nature.

Really, it's fine that Favre was unhappy in NY and wanted out. That left him a choice of 29 destinations where most GB fans would go "keep on keepin' on Brett." Of course, he HAD to go to one of the two that would absolutely be a big finger to the people who gave him near-unconditional love for 16 yrs.

"his true nature"? there you go being a bunny boiler. ok, how many teams out there were bad enough at QB to be interested in a 40 year old? of that already short list, how many were actually really good in every area BUT QB, such that taking a one or two year run with a 40 year old QB actually made some sense for both parties, and who also happed to have a head coach who is friends with him? you're pretty much left with a list of one team. really, it ain't about you guys, and paying back your (completely conditional) "unconditional love" by rubbing it in your face. it was just obviously by far the best fit for all parties involved.

Edited by Azazello1313

had to and did. again, the point is, it was green bay who said "no thanks, we think we're better off moving on" and it was other teams that wanted him to be their QB.
...and they sent him to another team.

"his true nature"? there you go being a bunny boiler. ok, how many teams out there were bad enough at QB to be interested in a 40 year old? of that already short list, how many were actually really good in every area BUT QB, such that taking a one or two year run with a 40 year old QB actually made some sense for both parties, and who also happed to have a head coach who is friends with him? you're pretty much left with a list of one team. really, it ain't about you guys, and paying back your (completely conditional) "unconditional love" by rubbing it in your face. it was just obviously by far the best fit for all parties involved.

It's less the GOING to Minnesota and the HOW of how he got there. Or did you miss the "I'm retired....but could you guys release me anyway, just in case, uh, because, uh, y'know?"

THEN when he got to team B, it was more "uh, well, hmm, yeah, no, maybe, I dunno...." until the end of training camp.

So from where I'm standing, he made a yearly circus of jerking around Green Bay every offseason for about 4 yrs, scorched the earth when they said "thanks but no thanks," then jerked around the Jets to get his release, then jerked around Minny to get out of going to training camp. I think it's pretty indicative that when he was weaseling his way out of NY, they were basically like "yeah, whatever, get outta here."

Heck, most of the more aware Minny fans here can tell when Favre is spouting some line of b.s. (hint - it's whenever his lips are moving), but they're too happy about a legit QB for the first time in about 5 yrs and are just taking the wins & not worrying about it.

Edited by Chavez

really, it ain't about you guys, and paying back your (completely conditional) "unconditional love" by rubbing it in your face. it was just obviously by far the best fit for all parties involved.

You brought up Favre being "jilted" - if Favre doesn't owe GB at least a modicum of loyalty for what he GOT from management and the fans over the years (which most tangibly is well over $100 million in salary), then once relations were severed, GB fans don't owe him anything either.

But hey, I guess you'd have showed up wearing a silver and black #7 and cheered wildly for every Raider score in my Elway scenario, right?

Chavez are you nuts!? I don't see how you can not place a ton of blame on TT. They had major issues from last year that this team needed to address and they were completely ignored. Let me ask you this, when he hired Capers how did you feel? I know I was off the wall ecstatic because I knew that TT only addresses needs through the draft and they wouldn't have the personel to execute a 3-4 on a consistent basis for quite some time if ever. There was major names available in areas of need but GB ignored them, and this is not the way to compete in the NFL when you reach on guys every year in the draft. Think about this for a second, if TT was GM in '93 would he have ever signed Reggie White? The obvious answer is no. When the pack signed him to a big FA contract, he was 32 I think, and we both know TT has never signed any FA that old to big money. Yeah he was old and didn't play as well as he did with the Eagles, but he was a major part in that #1 D and the SB win. Yet we sit and watch TT put one of the youngest teams in the NFL out there every single year. I just can't figure out why, because they have a ton of cap room and they're only missing a couple key people to make things just click. This is the same guy that passed on Randy Moss even though he wanted to come to you guys and Brett wanted him. DD and GJ are no chumps but think of adding Randy to that and the Pack would have had the most explosive offense in the NFL for years and years, but yet TT passes so he can try to develop guys like Jordy Nelson.

Then there is the draft.... good god what a yearly nightmare that must be. B.J. Raji......'nuff said.

So how does this chump still have his job?

No, they aren't. Usually the big fall-off occurs in the last 4 or 5 games, but:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sectio...&id=4583781

Thanks for the link, Chavez. This is what I was talking about to Chadman and he came up with some silly numbers (that only someone with purple colored glasses would come up with) to prove that Favre doesn't fade late in the season. I was looking all over for the other post I saw these numbers from but couldn't find it.

Okay, Chadman, now what do you say?

Edited by tosberg34

Media-Whore....Waffling....Retire-Un-Retire....

The only thing that matters now is 7-1

AND 2-0 vs. GB with the last win in "HIS HOUSE".

:wacko:

Favre is not as athletic as AR, but finds a way for a stacked team to win. Say that AR could do the same on that team. Maybe. He has the tools, but not the leadership skills. Rodgers is starting to look a lot like a scared deer behind the swiss-cheese line. Not all his fault, but even Aikman can see some sacks are due to holding the ball and not getting rid of it quicker. David Carr anyone??

Say what you will, but TT and MM are not the answer. Kampman is out of his element and the draft is not working. Matthews looks good, but Harrell and Radji still have to produce like NFL caliber players...oh yeah, that's right, one isn't even playing now.

TT must go. The OL has had issues for a few years now and is not getting better. Now that teams have a game-plan, the Bengals and Queens won't be the only ones to put Mr. Rodgers out of his neighborhood.

Edited by Ed Hoyle

Say what you will about this historic rivalry and how the fans treat each other on their home turf, but what was really struck me was how everyone reacted the same when Driver went down.

You could hear a collective gasp as the crowd lept to it's feet, regardless of purple or green everyone's stood horrified as their stomaches lept into their thoats. The chilling silence brought on by this gruesome lesson was soon broken by a collective chant until it was clear that it wasn't anything too serious. Participants threw their loyalties out the window when it came down to what really mattered and it seemed like everyone was involved.

Anyone who offended by the joking nature of their rival needs to grow some thicker skin, because this instance showed the true class of both teams' fans. Compare that to Philly fans who loudly cheered as Kevin Boss lay writhing on the turf. Stay classy all you folks from the midwest!

Thanks for the link, Chavez. This is what I was talking about to Chadman and he came up with some silly numbers (that only someone with purple colored glasses would come up with) to prove that Favre doesn't fade late in the season. I was looking all over for the other post I saw these numbers from but couldn't find it.

Okay, Chadman, now what do you say?

Okay, I'll go back and dig up the numbers. When I said "good", that may have been a little glamourous for what he did. As for 20 TDs and 40 INT's the last four games of those seasons, I'll have to check my numbers and post what I was thinking. If you find it, post it, I will as well. I know the numbers I posted were solid for a QB, and again, his numbers this season should be better after his surgery, which definitely played into the situation, I would have to think. I could be way off base, but the general numbers from his stats don't show huge dropoffs in yardage, TD's, maybe more interceptions, evidently.

I have to head out this morning, but I'll be back in later. The numbers I posted were from his career stats, BTW, they weren't something I made up or glossed over. And I certainly don't think last season should enter into this discussion all that much, as clearly he was injured - if you watch the difference in his passes this season to last, it should be obvious to anyone not wearing yellow tinted shades.

I don't doubt that much older QB's that play outside late in the season would have less success than earlier in seasons - the other post also addressed that Favre also had pretty poor stats during his years playing in the Metrodome, but I don't see those same results this season, do you?

Again, I'll be back in, I do have an appointment this morning, and will be back later this afternoon.

I think Harvin was most valuable in the game. Also in both games, the offensive line and defensive line were the true reason why the Vikings won. Rodgers sacked 14 times, Favre zero. You can say Favre did this and Favre did that, but the old saying rings true about winning the battle of the trenches.

Phil Loadholt is going to be a good player.

But hey, I guess you'd have showed up wearing a silver and black #7 and cheered wildly for every Raider score in my Elway scenario, right?

well I tend to think there are more options than:

1) booing at the top of my lungs every time he touches he ball, and

2) putting on the other team's jersey and cheering for him to win the game.

How about a little polite ovation when he comes on the field and then cheer for the home team like you would any other game? Kinda seems like the non-bunny boiler way to approach the situation to me :wacko:

hey, if the lambeau fans treated him like any other vikes QB, no big deal. but they booed him like he was santa claus in philly. really weak, IMO. green bay fans remind me of an insular religious cult.

umm, I've heard more than I care to, the national media's obsession with all things favre has been sickening. one thing I know is that, yeah he jerked them around pretty bad that offseason a couple years ago. the folks in charge decided they'd be better off moving on, and I can see why they did but when he figured out that he DID want to play, he went to them. they're the ones that told HIM no. and all the fans rush to the side of dear leader GM, a coach, and QB who have proven to be no better than mediocre since favre left.

Azz - tell me one person in history that has a similar scenario as the Favre Packers scenario? There has NEVER been a situation like this.

What other player meets all of these:

He was the absolute face of this storied franchise where the fans are incredibly loyal to this team.

1st ballot hall of famer

Has retried and unretired multiple times

Had retired and unretired AFTER the team believed he was retired and decided to move on

Team makes a smart football decision to not let him go to a hated rival like Minnesota - I have to add here that doing this does not mean that TT or McCarthy thought that he was still a great QB - it only means that they did not want Minnesota to get better which only means they thought Favre was better than Jackson.

Team trades him to Jets to get him away from Minnestota

Favre then wiggles his way out of NY by retiring yet again

Favre says he does not want to play again and then decides AFTER training camp to come out of retirement to play for the hated rival.

So please send the list of players where this scenario has played out before.

Edited by gbpfan1231

With or without Favre the Vikings are the better team.Rosenfels at QB would beat the Pack this season.I am a Pack fan through and through but the only reason the Packers are having any success is Aaron Rodgers.He is an absolute beast at QB.I am hoping beyond hope he makes it through the season behind the sickening O-line.I like the changes in the defense but it only shows up against the very worst of teams.This team is also very undisciplined.Jolly's headbutt was a joke and cost the Pack 4 points.That penalty changed the complexion of the game.This should have been a 34-27 game late in the fourth.I am just frustrated with the same crap every week from the Packers.Sack,penalty or dropped ball I just don't see the improvement that is going to make the Pack a wild card team.