[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone care about the World Series

nuke'em ttg

I don't pay much attention to the regular season but enjoy the Fall Classic. I just enjoy watching the game and don't worry about all the BS behind it. If you left baseball because you're disgusted by the roids scandal, I don't understand how you can still be a football fan. In fact, if you've given up on any sport because of anything other than being bored with the product on the field, I don't see how you can be a football fan.

The NFL is a freaking teflon beast that seems to have the same issues that drags down other sports just slide right off it.

"I don't watch the NBA because they're all thugs. I watch football." Okey dokey.

"I don't watch baseball because they're all roided out. I watch football." Gotcha.

At any rate, watching Cliff Lee deal on Wednesday night was nothing short of amazing and watching AJ do nearly as well last night was great as well. The season is too damned long for me to care for most of it. But when you whittle it down to the best and they have at it in October, it's pretty damned fun to watch.

Det, it's very subjective, but I can say for myself that the NFL has taken many steps backwards since rampant free agency, salary cap, carousel coaching changes and oversaturation. The 70's and 80s NFL was a much better product IMO. Fantasy football has been the only thing that has kept the NFL #1 and even that is lacking in excitement nowadays compared to the early days. You used to have to dig for info and now it's all presented on a silver platter.

Edited by TimC

Det, it's very subjective, but I can say for myself that the NFL has taken many steps backwards since rampant free agency, salary cap, carousel coaching changes and oversaturation. The 70's and 80s NFL was a much better product IMO. Fantasy football has been the only thing that has kept the NFL #1 and even that is lacking in excitement nowadays compared to the early days. You used to have to dig for info and now it's all presented on a silver platter.

I hear you on many counts but wonder if the product was, in fact, better back then or if I was just younger. I certainly hear you on FF, both in how it has aided in the NFL staying on top (ironic since I think baseball was the first to have rotisserie) and also that FF itself has gotten less fun now that everyone gets spoonfed every breakout.

I remember in the early days of our leagues, I was tracking the box scores and noticed this kid Antowain Smith getting more and more reps and doing more and more with them. In a pinch, I picked him up and started him the week he went off. Nobody believed it because it seemed like I pulled that out of nowhere. These days, every one of those guys would have been getting hyped on him from whatever site they used.

None the less, that's why I try to think about the BS as little as possible. Watching well played sports is fun. If it's played by total a-holes, bummer.

If it's a close game in the late innings (World Series and playoffs both I guess) and I see it as I'm flipping through channels, then yeah I'll watch. But other than that, no I don't care. I really don't follow or care for baseball much at all, though I do enjoy it when I see on Sportscenter or something that the Cubs or Yankees have lost. I don't watch much TV anymore so I could've gone for a while without knowing when the World Series was or who was in it if it wasn't posted here.

No and I grew up playing baseball until I was an adult and in the service. And even after I got out I did some coaching and umpiring. Greatest game ever invented imo and was a big fan until the last strike and I don't even remember what year that was now. Just lost interest in big league ball and never got it back. Still watch some amateur ball from time to time but thats about it. From time to time I still get a little nostalgic about it, but it always passes.

I watch it. The Royals sucked me into baseball as I was growing up in the 70's and haven't let go.

I watch because:

#1. I'm a sports fan. And the World Series is still a big event for me. And as a sports fan, you just watch big events, because you never know when you will see something great.