[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pat's or Geno's

TimC

Pat's v Geno's  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Pat's v Geno's

• Pat's
    • Geno's
    • Puddy

Neither are an option around here, so I went with Puddy.

This poll does bring something that I've been meaning to ask. What are the traditional "add ons" for a Philly Steak Sandwich? We have several Penn Station East Coast Subs around town and their Philly is one of my favorites. I usually get the optional onions, mushrooms, and banana peppers. My wife picked me up one a while back and she just said yes to everything extra. It ended up having pizza sauce on it. Does an "authentic" philly have pizza sauce as an option?

1. Pudge's in Norristown

Might be the best in the region, but I was keeping to to Philly-only.

If suburbs are fair game, try John's in Frazer....just outstanding. Dellasandro's in Roxborough is an institution, and for good reason....amazing sandwhich.

cdrudge: for basic authenticity, a steak with Cheese Whiz & fried onions is the way to go. Add-ons include pizza sauce, peppers, mushrooms or even pepperoni. Over the last decade or so, the advent of the chicken cheesestake has been popular. Basically shaved chicken instead of shaved beef. It is indeed phenomenal...try one if your spot makes one.

But as with all Philly steaks and hoagies, much of the delicacy is the bread...must be a doughy roll, ala Amorosa's. Around here, the texture is perfected because of the hardness of the water...keeps the bread doughy, almost chewy.

Dellasandro's in Roxborough is an institution

My wife is from Roxborough and most of her family still lives there...they favor Marchiano's for their tomato pie and stuffed breads. That stuff is a staple at every family event and tailgate. Interestingly they aren't as crazy about cheesesteaks. Sometimes they will put away a steak hoagie and my wife like a pizza steak now and then, but the tomato pie is what you'll find whenever they all get together.

I make the best cheesesteak around, even my in-laws say so.

Nsab hooked me up with a place in wildwood a few years ago that was awesome. I also like the midway in seaside heights. I gotta remember the wildwood place I didn't make it there the first year he told me but went the year after. It was great

Did you know what the Subway BMT sandwaich stands for?

It is the Boston Metro Transit sandwich. Subway actually started in the subway.

Thank me later.

And then they use the New York subway motif. :wacko:

edit: BMT stands for Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit there but Subway's official designation is "Biggest, Meatiest, Tastiest"

edit2: And it did not start in a subway nor subway station

Edited by Big John

Nsab hooked me up with a place in wildwood a few years ago that was awesome. I also like the midway in seaside heights. I gotta remember the wildwood place I didn't make it there the first year he told me but went the year after. It was great

Russo's 7th & Surf in North WW- better than anyplace in Philly!

Edited by Marauders11