[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shut the box

whomper

Has anyone ever played this ? I played it for the first time at a friends house the other night and it was totally addicting. From what I understand it is an old English Pub game

There are 9 numbers that you need to eliminate by rolling dice

You roll 2 dice

As you roll you eliminate numbers based on what you roll. The numbers are all in an opened box and you roll the dice inside the box. If you get rid of all of the numbers , you win

You can eliminate numbers any way you want depending on your roll. Example. If you roll a 9 you can just eliminate the 9 or if you roll a nine you can eliminate numbers that add up to 9 (5,4) (6,2,1) etc. If you roll a number that you cant eliminate , you lose. Example if there is a 7,8 left and you roll a 4. you lose. Once you get to the point where the numbers left add up to 6 and under you can only use 1 die. If you knock out all the numbers you literally shut the box . That is how you win. Very fun game

This is what it looks like

Edited by whomper

An old game show called High Rollers was based on this, except you had to roll 2 dice every time. One added item they had was if you rolled doubles, you got an insurance marker to be used if you have a bad roll, you could void that roll and roll again.

:wacko:

Edited by Big John

We got this for Christmas. Have not busted it out yet, but plan to on New Year's Eve.

You're gonna love it

What my wife does when she gets pissed at me :wacko:

:D

Funny, the mother in law played this at some Christmas party she was at and wanted to buy one. The FIL decided to make one on his own. I found what it looked like online and he put it together. He did a pretty good job. Fun game. I had never heard of it before.

Has anyone ever played this ? I played it for the first time at a friends house the other night and it was totally addicting. From what I understand it is an old English Pub game

There are 9 numbers that you need to eliminate by rolling dice

You roll 2 dice

As you roll you eliminate numbers based on what you roll. The numbers are all in an opened box and you roll the dice inside the box. If you get rid of all of the numbers , you win

You can eliminate numbers any way you want depending on your roll. Example. If you roll a 9 you can just eliminate the 9 or if you roll a nine you can eliminate numbers that add up to 9 (5,4) (6,2,1) etc. If you roll a number that you cant eliminate , you lose. Example if there is a 7,8 left and you roll a 4. you lose. Once you get to the point where the numbers left add up to 6 and under you can only use 1 die. If you knock out all the numbers you literally shut the box . That is how you win. Very fun game

This is what it looks like

Love this game. Been playing it at my cuz's house for years. Got one from my daughter for Xmas this year.

We have different rules though:

We always throw 2 dice.

Winner of the round starts the next round.

2 piles of chips. Basically a chip goes into each pile by each player. The player w/ the lowest total left for a round gets one pile and everyone re-antes into each pile again. The second pile accumulates each round until someone "closes the box". If 2 people "close the box" in a round, NO ONE WINS and everyone re-ante's again. You'd be surprised at how often that happens.

just went to toys r us.com, they have 3 of them, one is $14.99 the other 2 are $24.99

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kw...255956&sr=1

Amazon has a wide variety of them at reasonable prices. Some variations go up to 12, some have 2 sides, and more.

Love this game. Been playing it at my cuz's house for years. Got one from my daughter for Xmas this year.

We have different rules though:

We always throw 2 dice.

Winner of the round starts the next round.

2 piles of chips. Basically a chip goes into each pile by each player. The player w/ the lowest total left for a round gets one pile and everyone re-antes into each pile again. The second pile accumulates each round until someone "closes the box". If 2 people "close the box" in a round, NO ONE WINS and everyone re-ante's again. You'd be surprised at how often that happens.

Amazon has a wide variety of them at reasonable prices. Some variations go up to 12, some have 2 sides, and more.

Grew up playing this game when I was a kid.

It was also a big thing in the local bars here where you could play a quick game and worst score bought a round of shots.