[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moving for a job...

Jimmy Neutron

I was informed yesterday that I need to move to CA or be unemployed at the end of the week. I don't love CA, but am not thrilled at the thought of being unemployed in the near term.

Our initial thought is to move - it would enable my wife to stay at home with the kids. Our main concern is the adjustments the kids would have to make leaving all of their friends and family.

Anybody have experience with something like this?

:wacko:

That seems like pretty short notice. :wacko:

If I were you and wanted the job in California, you might go out there on your own a few months. Commute back on weekends. See if the position is all it's cracked up to be and if the company is doing well enough to be in business for the long haul. It also gives you time to house hunt for the family. Find the area you'd like to have your kids go to school. If the commute works out well enough, maybe let the kids finish out their school year where they are and move everyone in June. :D

This kind of snap decision from them makes me a little suspicious. What makes you think they won't downsize you a month after you get out there?

If I were you and wanted the job in California, you might go out there on your own a few months. Commute back on weekends. See if the position is all it's cracked up to be and if the company is doing well enough to be in business for the long haul. It also gives you time to house hunt for the family. Find the area you'd like to have your kids go to school. If the commute works out well enough, maybe let the kids finish out their school year where they are and move everyone in June. :D

This kind of snap decision from them makes me a little suspicious. What makes you think they won't downsize you a month after you get out there?

Good advice here. :D

Good advice here. :D

My thoughts exactly!

What kind of work do you do?

I went throught a situation back in 2001 where a merger forced the closure of a corporate office in Fargo. Initially everyone received either an offer to stay one for a few months with a little financial incentive (a few weeks extra pay) or select people were offered to relocate to Phoenix. I got the severance type thing first but then they decided to offer to move me. It was a tough decision leaving family etc, but the job market for us really wasn't all that great in Fargo.

Good luck.

Good luck JN

Because every part of California is exactly the same. :D

The first step to legalize Josh Gordon in California could happen Tuesday.

Lawmakers will vote on Assembly Bill 390 -- legislation to tax and regulate Josh Gordon. The assembly's Public Safety Committee is expected to vote after a hearing that begins at 9 a.m. hearing.

The bill, authored by San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, would essentially treat pot the same way alcohol is treated under the law and would allow adults over 21 to possess, smoke and grow Josh Gordon.

The law would also call for a fee of $50 per ounce sold and would help fund drug eradication and awareness programs. It could help pull California out of debt, supporters say, raising up to $990 million from the fees.

Lawmakers will vote on Assembly Bill 390 -- legislation to tax and regulate Josh Gordon. The assembly's Public Safety Committee is expected to vote after a hearing that begins at 9 a.m. hearing.

The bill, authored by San Francisco Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, would essentially treat pot the same way alcohol is treated under the law and would allow adults over 21 to possess, smoke and grow Josh Gordon.

The law would also call for a fee of $50 per ounce sold and would help fund drug eradication and awareness programs. It could help pull California out of debt, supporters say, raising up to $990 million from the fees.

:D

EDIT: good luck jimmy

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Great. Can't wait. :D

Jimmy - what part?

Sorry to hear this Jimmy. Seems like you really enjoy the area you live in (plus who'll take me to the Brazilian restaurant the next time I visit Park City)? If my company came to me with the same offer I'd definitely consider it depending on the location. I do have to say however that letting you know a few days before a decision has to be made is somewhat disconcerting.

Way harsh on the time frame. Sorry to hear that you have to go through this. I had to do something similar to this when I was first offered a position in the DC area. The wife couldn't leave due to finishing up her Masters work so I had to go it alone. 9 months later she finally joined me. Thankfully, there were no kids involved, I don't think we would have been able to pull it off.

I'd definitely start by thinking a temporary move for you until you want to bring the family along. That may be until the summer or until the following summer, depending on conditions. I'm assuming that you wouldn't want to move the kids during the school year. 1st off, I'd see if I could get any type of moving assistance from the company. Even if it is to pick up the tab for a month at an Extend Stay type of place. Next step is to talk to the people in the office you'll be working in. An extended stay place may work for you, but an apartment may be better. It could give you a base of operations to plan your move into a house. It would also give the family a place to stay as they will want to come visit and check out the area if you do decide that a permanent move is OK. If you do lease a place, try for month to month rather than a year long lease. You may have to pay a premium, but in your situation flexibility may be worth the extra cash.

The short notice is happening to a number of managers across the country. The company executives have basically decided to speed up their EDR (development/redeployment) process - it had been purely voluntary historically. I don't think my job is in danger in the long run - there is a considerable relo package I don't think they'd pay if I was short-term fodder. They are also flexible in moving the fam - I can commute until the school year is out with all expenses covered outside the relo $.

The new job is in Shasta Lake, CA - just north of Redding. It's a beautiful location and facility. Service territory runs from the Bay Area all the way to the Canadian border and includes all of Alaska. Hello frequent trips to San Fran, Portland and Seattle. :wacko:

My wife and I are up for it, but have the obvious concerns about pulling the kids from the only life they have known.

The short notice is happening to a number of managers across the country. The company executives have basically decided to speed up their EDR (development/redeployment) process - it had been purely voluntary historically. I don't think my job is in danger in the long run - there is a considerable relo package I don't think they'd pay if I was short-term fodder. They are also flexible in moving the fam - I can commute until the school year is out with all expenses covered outside the relo $.

The new job is in Shasta Lake, CA - just north of Redding. It's a beautiful location and facility. Service territory runs from the Bay Area all the way to the Canadian border and includes all of Alaska. Hello frequent trips to San Fran, Portland and Seattle. :wacko:

My wife and I are up for it, but have the obvious concerns about pulling the kids from the only life they have known.

Wow, tough decision. I like Bunz's advice of trying it on for size, although that will also be hard on everyone. Not moving them until the school year is over would be ideal. It's a natural ending point anyhow, so it's not like they'd have to settle in mid year elsewhere. It would give you time to do the house hunting more at your leisure too.

What are the alternatives if you stay in the area you're in now? Can you find something that will be secure and comparable near home?

Kids are very resilient creatures. If you and your wife are strong together, they'll be sad for a time and learn to move on. At least if you move for the opportunity, you'll have that stability going in.

What are the alternatives if you stay in the area you're in now? Can you find something that will be secure and comparable near home?

Don't really know to be honest. I guess we're more afraid of the unknown than the option of moving. I've got a lot of great experience and a degree, but I get MBAs applying for warehouse and driving jobs every week - it's tough out there. I'd hate to pass on a job I know I will like and remain unemployed for months on end. Too many Huddle brothers have shared the stress of that situation.

Moving will likely enable my wife to stay at home and help the kids adjust. She works now and is anxious to quit and go back to school.

All - thanks for your thoughts. :wacko: