[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PETA wants Punxsutawney Phil to be replaced with a robot...

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pets/...h__a_robot.html

Is nothing sacred?

The animal rights group PETA is demanding that America's beloved harbinger of spring, Punxsutawney Phil, be replaced with ... a robot.

The group says it's unfair of the Groundhog Day festival organizers to subject the furry critter to the bright lights and huge crowds that descend on the tiny Pennsylvania town of Punxsutawney every Feb. 2.

"Make the compassionate decision to use an animatronic Phil and retire the live groundhogs who are used for Groundhog Day activities to a sanctuary," wrote Gemma Vaughan of the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

"Tradition is no excuse for cruelty."

William Deeley, president of the Inner Circle of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, said Phil is the most pampered groundhog in the world.

"This is just crazy," Deeley told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

"Phil is probably treated better than the average child in Pennsylvania. He's got air conditioning in the summer, his pen is heated in winter ... He has everything but a TV in there. What more do you want?"

Besides, Pennsylvania already has an animatronic "Gus the Groundhog," who is the "spokesanimal" for the state lottery.

Over at the Staten Island Zoo, spokeswoman MaryLee Montalvo said they'd never dream of replacing their weather-predicting groundhog, Charles G. Hogg (a.k.a. Staten Island Chuck), with a robot.

"He's a local celebrity," she said.

He's also a bit of a diva. Last year, he bit Mayor Bloomberg on the finger after he was rousted from his lair to declare that spring was on the way.

The movie, "Groundhog Day," starring Bill Murray featured a real groundhog - even if it was shot in Woodstock, Ill. His best known animatronic co-star is the gopher from "Caddyshack."

PETA is just ridiculous . .

Oh yeah, they were protesting at my small college once right in front of this little grill/coffee house we had. They were obnoxious and catching people walking away from the counter with their food. I had my standard double-patty melt w/bacon and cheese, so they loved me. The chick asked me "Did you know on average there's 30 lbs of undigested red meat in the colon of an adult male?" I shot back "I'm probably double that!" and other folks they'd harassed laughed. They had ticked me off at that point (trying to ruin your appetite) so I sat close to them and heckled until they left. I kept asking the one girl who'd accosted me "I bet I know how you get YOUR protein! :wacko:

Has anyone tried to protest PETA? I mean like go to their HQ & have a cookout or something like that. That would be pretty funny.

What would be really funny is if someone were to go to there message board and start talking about how much the like eating meat and the such. I'm surprised nobody here has done that :wacko:

Dude.

I can't imagine how these guys can raise any money at all when they pull this crap. They completely marginalize any credible causes they take up by constantly making a mockery of themselves.

Exactly.

The chick asked me "Did you know on average there's 30 lbs of undigested red meat in the colon of an adult male?" I shot back "I'm probably double that!" and other folks they'd harassed laughed.
lol

I would've added "did YOU know that believing such an idiotic myth makes you one of the stupidest people on the planet?" Good grief. PS I can't help but wonder if any of them were wearing any belts or shoes with leather in them.

Love to see obnoxious people get theirs though :wacko:

Oh yeah, they were protesting at my small college once right in front of this little grill/coffee house we had. They were obnoxious and catching people walking away from the counter with their food. I had my standard double-patty melt w/bacon and cheese, so they loved me. The chick asked me "Did you know on average there's 30 lbs of undigested red meat in the colon of an adult male?" I shot back "I'm probably double that!" and other folks they'd harassed laughed. They had ticked me off at that point (trying to ruin your appetite) so I sat close to them and heckled until they left. I kept asking the one girl who'd accosted me "I bet I know how you get YOUR protein! :wacko:

You should have asked her if she gets all her nutritional information from "Beverly Hills Cop."

:D man, I realize that this is the understatement of the year and has been true for at least the last 20 years, but PETA could really use a new PR department :wacko:

That would be a tough one to fill . . .

"Complete nutjob organization looking for a qualified individual to hopelessly try and spin our radical views into a semi-coherent propaganda that will paint us in a positive light while not compromising any of our core ideals that put the importance of animals over the value of humans. Please include salary requirements . . . must love dogs. Vegans preferred."

That would be a tough one to fill . . .

"Complete nutjob organization looking for a qualified individual to hopelessly try and spin our radical views into a semi-coherent propaganda that will paint us in a positive light while not compromising any of our core ideals that put the importance of animals over the value of humans. Please include salary requirements . . . must love dogs. Vegans preferred."

I'm sure if they hired david axelrod they could convince a majority of americans they were pragmatic centrists.

Tell her you know someone in Hollywood who thinks she's been watching too many movies. beverly Hills Cop to be precise which is the first place I ever heard that joke. And it is a joke, according to snopes.

Hardest thing to digest? Veggies and legumes. Ask her if she has 30 pounds of beans in her colon next time.

So are we to assume from this that most of Pennsylvania's children don't have their pens heated in winter? :wacko:

Nope. Parents too busy clinging to their guns n religion yknow. On the plus side, they don't throw their reverends/churches under the bus for PR reasons, so let the little buggers freeze I say.

lol - why don't I get loons like that getting in my face? SO much fun you could have with them right then and there. Instead I get ahole co-workers who are also the boss' golden child. But I digress.