[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What was he mad about?

WaterMan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,218314

Peyton Manning storms off Super Bowl field. Is he a poor sport?

By Chris Chase

Peyton Manning(notes) didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.

Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees(notes) may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that?

LeBron James was caught up in a similar controversy during the NBA playoffs last year and the same thing that was true then is true now: A perfunctory handshake doesn't make someone a good sport. It either makes them indifferent to the game's result or a good actor. What would people have preferred Peyton and LeBron do, laugh off the loss with apathy and treat the victors to dinner after? This isn't Little League.

The only time I question my sports fandom is when the players I'm rooting for seem to care less about the result than I do. I don't want to see my team's quarterback laughing on the sideline while losing a big game. If I care so much, why shouldn't the players?

"It's just a job for these guys," is a familiar refrain. The natural response to that is the great ones make their job their passion. Hall of Fames don't tend to include guys who can't care. The desire to win is what sustains greatness. You think Michael Jordan was hugging Isiah Thomas after losses in the 1980s? Or that Larry Bird stayed on the court to congratulate Kareem? Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio weren't going out for drinks after the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The great ones are competitors and competitors can't flip a switch immediately after a devastating loss and act like it didn't matter.

Being a good sportsman is playing fair, respecting the game and giving credit after to an opponent. Manning did all those things Sunday. In his postgame press conference he said of his quick exit:

"I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys who didn't win. There's the stage being set up and the celebration. It's time for the Saints to celebrate. It's their field."

That's probably a tad disingenuous, but no more than it would have been if Peyton had walked over to congratulate Drew Brees.

For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy." If the man who was supposedly snubbed thinks so, that's enough for me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl,218314

Peyton Manning storms off Super Bowl field. Is he a poor sport?

By Chris Chase

Peyton Manning(notes) didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.

Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees(notes) may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that?

LeBron James was caught up in a similar controversy during the NBA playoffs last year and the same thing that was true then is true now: A perfunctory handshake doesn't make someone a good sport. It either makes them indifferent to the game's result or a good actor. What would people have preferred Peyton and LeBron do, laugh off the loss with apathy and treat the victors to dinner after? This isn't Little League.

The only time I question my sports fandom is when the players I'm rooting for seem to care less about the result than I do. I don't want to see my team's quarterback laughing on the sideline while losing a big game. If I care so much, why shouldn't the players?

"It's just a job for these guys," is a familiar refrain. The natural response to that is the great ones make their job their passion. Hall of Fames don't tend to include guys who can't care. The desire to win is what sustains greatness. You think Michael Jordan was hugging Isiah Thomas after losses in the 1980s? Or that Larry Bird stayed on the court to congratulate Kareem? Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio weren't going out for drinks after the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The great ones are competitors and competitors can't flip a switch immediately after a devastating loss and act like it didn't matter.

Being a good sportsman is playing fair, respecting the game and giving credit after to an opponent. Manning did all those things Sunday. In his postgame press conference he said of his quick exit:

"I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys who didn't win. There's the stage being set up and the celebration. It's time for the Saints to celebrate. It's their field."

That's probably a tad disingenuous, but no more than it would have been if Peyton had walked over to congratulate Drew Brees.

For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy." If the man who was supposedly snubbed thinks so, that's enough for me.

He is a little tit, what do you think?

As someone that coaches little league football, I still like to see the competitors show good sportmanship at the end of a game. Even if they are upset. Peyton and Reggie shoulda stuck around.

Edited by CaptainHook

I'm a big fan of Peyton and he was just frustrated I think. He's a hard worker and quite possibly one of the best QBs of all time... or well on his way.

(what I would give if JaPORKass would have half the heart he does)

He called Brees... I don't think he's a sore loser at all.

I don't think the Colt's nor the Saints will be in the super bowl again next year and I believe Peyton knows this as well. It might have been his last shot for a while.

The things people try to make stories of nowadays.

He was pissed, hurt, jealous, whatever you wanna call it. If you're a competetitor, watching somebody else celebrate at your expense is the biggest punch in the gut you can have. It was probably all he could do to keep from going ballistic on himself and his teammates. Let Brees celebrate with his friends, family and teammates. Brees doesn't want that awkward moment any more than Manning did. IMO this is the way every athlete should do it. The coaches should shake hands. The players shouldn't have to willingly subject themselves to the humiliation, they already did that on the field.

I think Peyton should have made an effort to shake hands with someone on the Saints...say, "hey, congrats to you guys...let Drew know I will contact him later" or some such...

have to say still think that the NHL handshake line exchange is one of the best things in sports...but I do wonder how that would be effected if the media was able to run out on the ice

While I don't disagree that he was frustrated and angry, I can't help but think about the roasting that one other major NFL figure took when he similarly failed to shake hands at the end of a game. :wacko:

someone had earned a reputation for being anything but friendly long before that SB.

This is ghey. The effort Manning would have had to make to get to Brees would have been ridiculous. Crap like this is blown out of proportion. When you're in the Super Bowl, I don't know that you need to be a good sport when you lose anyway. I actually think this is refreshing and maybe it would bring a little of the intense rivalry that has disappeared back into sport rather than everyone being all lovey lovey.

This is ghey. The effort Manning would have had to make to get to Brees would have been ridiculous. Crap like this is blown out of proportion.
Agreed. Did any of the Colts main players stay on the field? Yes it would have been nice if he had stuck around. He wasn't happy for obvious reasons. But it also was a zoo. You got press all over the place trying to get "the picture". You got NFL, production, and nework crews scrambling all around to get a stage in place.

Agreed. Did any of the Colts main players stay on the field? Yes it would have been nice if he had stuck around. He wasn't happy for obvious reasons. But it also was a zoo. You got press all over the place trying to get "the picture". You got NFL, production, and nework crews scrambling all around to get a stage in place.

But lets keep in mind that Manning has played in many big games before. Cameras and crews aren't anything new on the football field.

While I don't disagree that he was frustrated and angry, I can't help but think about the roasting that one other major NFL figure took when he similarly failed to shake hands at the end of a game. :wacko:

+1

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but didn't Belichik actually leave just a tad before the game actually ended - more or less announcing his intention that he wasn't going to shake hands.

That's a bit different than what happened with Manning/Brees this year when the celebration erupted and Maninng was on the complete opposite side of the field. Apples to oranges IMO.

Head coaches shaking hands at midfield is a tradition. Not an apples to apples comparison by any means.

But lets keep in mind that Manning has played in many big games before. Cameras and crews aren't anything new on the football field.
Has he ever walked off the field like that before? Has he ever lost the Superbowl before? This wasn't a big game...this was the big game. The only other game of this magnitude was when they won the Superbowl and he obviously stayed on the field. I don't remember though if Kyle Orton congratulated him though.

Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but didn't Belichik actually leave just a tad before the game actually ended - more or less announcing his intention that he wasn't going to shake hands.

That's a bit different than what happened with Manning/Brees this year when the celebration erupted and Maninng was on the complete opposite side of the field. Apples to oranges IMO.

Hypocrisy, and you know it. Manning's getting a pass here when Belichick didn't. Manning's supposed to be the mighty classy guy. Brees was looking for him on the field and he wasn't there.

What's good for one is certainly good for the other.

Hypocrisy, and you know it. Manning's getting a pass here when Belichick didn't. Manning's supposed to be the mighty classy guy. Brees was looking for him on the field and he wasn't there.

What's good for one is certainly good for the other.

I dunno. It's probably true that the media grabbed hold of Belichik's snub much more readily than Manning's, but I think that speaks to the image each person had built for themselves leading up to their respective incidents. Manning had always conducted himself in a classy manner so ya, he gets the pass I guess. Belichik had not in many people's eyes, so ya, he got roasted. Not sure if that equals hypocrisy or not. I don't really think so.