[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What to buy a 1-year old boy for his birthday?

TimC

A friend of mine is having a birthday party for his 1-year old son. I need to go out at lunch and get something. She doesn't have time. I know a bunch of you have been through 1-year olds. Suggestions?

toys r us, 1 yo section.

wait, with your record, can you be within 100 yards of a toysrus?

toys r us, 1 yo section.

wait, with your record, can you be within 100 yards of a toysrus?

:wacko:

Make sure you cover up the "free candy" signs on your van 1st.

But in all seriousness, just go to Toys r us like dmarc said...you'll find something that'll work.

My experience is that the "12 months" toys are not as enjoyed by the typical 1 year old as the ones for 18 months and older. The time flies and if this kid is walking, then he is running, and his coordination and skill level is over the target 12 month toys. Some of those are ridiculous.

Just make sure there is nothing he can fit in his mouth or suffocate, etc. They make little tricycles that have limited turn radius and are used indoors.

Just got back from Toys R Us at lunch. I actually saw this Fisher Price 2-for-1 deal, but didn't see anything for the freebie gift I liked. I could've just bought 2 of the same thing and waited for the next one, but my friends are beginning to get old and senile and dried up and I don't know how many of them are still gonna be banging out children. I could've entertained myself for hours on this, but Tina doesn't allow me to make any noise of any kind.

I needed it by Saturday so I couldn't order in online. I went with the old standby, Elmo pllush toy with soundbook. It came with a book that makes sounds with no on/off switch. It is our job to annoy the parents as much as possible, after all. I also got him a Cat Dump Truck. Both said 18+ months, but I was working at 3 years old on a construction site so he needs to grow up and learn how to work a front end loader and dump truck soon.

He also has a 4-year old sister, so I got her a pre-school activity book and some washable markers with a note not to make a mess or I'll get blamed by the parents for giving it to her. I'm a firm believer in bringing the other kid something so they don't feel left out like when my sisters had birthdays and I was locked in the closet but a Mr. Potato Head that was a month-old real potato with knives stuck to it.

I know it is too late, but we will often buy savings bonds for little kids. They will not remember you gave them a toy in 15 years, they will however remember you when they can buy beer when they are in college because they cashed in a bond.

Food for thought.

Two top suggestions were to get something for the parents and perch's suggestion of a bag and paper.

Who the hell throws a party for a one year old?!?!?

I think for our son's first birthday we treated ourselves to a really nice dinner out. Reward for having succesfully not completely fouled up our first year as parents. Didn't do anything for his second birthday, and now that he is turning three next week we will have a party....