[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 10 Albums of this past decade

gilthorp

In this information age, and what would seem to be a lost art of listening to an entire album, let's put together our top 10 albums of the decade.

I've been thinking about this for the last few days, and sure, I can get to the first 5 or 6 easily, but the final few is really tough to decide upon.

If nobody else posts their top ten before I make my decision, I'll bump this back up once I've committed to my 10. 4 more for me to decide upon.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is an "album"? Is that like an "8 track"?

I think he means album in the non-media specific sense. you know, the word itself (latin) DOES pre-date the LP and even recorded music.

anyway, I can think of a lot of good albums, but very few I am certain I would stick on a "best of the decade" list. the only one I can think of right off is wilco's "yankee hotel foxtrot". I'm sure many people will want to throw a bunch of radiohead on this list, which I guess is ok. :wacko:

Arcade Fire didn't necessarily create a major mainstream splash, but it's phenomenal. I'd get some Drive-By Truckers on there. Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf. The White Stripes' White Blood Cells. Daft Punk's Discovery.

Here is what Rolling Stone says is the Top 100

Looking through the list, there is some good music and I have some of that in my own collection(U2 and Coldplay mostly) but the majority does not appeal to me...:wacko:

Maybe I just missed it, but Linkin Park's Meteora should be on that list.

The White Stripes' White Blood Cells. Daft Punk's Discovery.

those two for me as well.

Definitely Kings of Leon's Youth and Young Manhood

Vampire Weekend's debut

Narrow Stairs - Deathcab for Cutie

Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem

Illinois - Sufjan Stevens

i would definitely have these three on the list (personal opinion of course ...):

kid a - radiohead

all that you can't leave behind - u2

american idiot - green day

after that you would probably need something from ryan adams and something from the white stripes.

Definitely Kings of Leon's Youth and Young Manhood

Sound of Silver - LCD Soundsystem

I like KoL well enough, I just don't see Youth and Young Manhood as capital-g "Great." Same with LCD Soundsystem.

Of course, Sound of Silver has popped up on NUMEROUS "best-of-the-aughts" lists so maybe I should defer to those who critique music for a living.... :wacko: ...nah, that wouldn't be any fun.

Here is what Rolling Stone says is the Top 100

Looking through the list, there is some good music and I have some of that in my own collection(U2 and Coldplay mostly) but the majority does not appeal to me...:wacko:

Of that list, I ticked off 20 as rap/r&b albums*, so that gives me a baseline of 80 "Rock" (-ish) type albums that would be stuff on my radar.

Of those 80, I am hitting around 25% - I own 20 of them in some form or another.

* - this is not to diminish these genres at all, they just ain't my bag.

In no particular order:

Radiohead - Kid A

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Radiohead - Amnesiac

Bjork - Vespertine

RHCP - Stadium Arcadium

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid

Eminem - Marshall Mathers

Beck - Sea Change

System of a Down - Toxicity

Iron and Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

The Strokes - Is This It

The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine

The Thermals - More Parts Per Million

One of the albums I can't put off my list was released in 2000 and it's last the whole time for me.

The Dandy Warhols - Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia.

I'm pretty sure much that makes my list won't make others.

I have to put a second vote in to Az's selection of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

SO...that's two for me. I'll save my best for later, once I get all 10 put together.

Anything by Radiohead, and Pearl Jam's last two. Violence, Sex, Language, Other by Stereophonics. Anything by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Warpaint by Black Crowes.

Too hard to make definitive lists but I like these a lot.

ETA: Jayhawks, Rainy Day Music and Rush of Blood to the Head by Coldplay (met these guys in Atlanta right after this came out).

Edited by matt770