[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Employee Recognition Programs

keggerz

I sponsor an employee of the month program where nominations come strictly from employee peers - not management. We award gift cards once per month. We present the awards during daily staff meetings and note the specific behavior(s) the employee was nominated for.

We do a similar thing with safety - all employees that work safely that month are eligible for a random drawing for a gift card.

As much as employees like to wins stuff, they typically get more satisfaction out of everyday acknowledgement and appreciation. Managers and supervisors should be trained and monitored regarding positive feedback to every employee. A 2-3 minute chat with employees about their family, weekend and satisfaction at work goes a long, long way.

Special recognition for service above and beyond should be noted and celebrated, even if in very small, non-monetary ways. If someone comes up with a good idea, make sure his/her peers know where it came from and what it accomplished. Present them with a token of appreciation, many employees with gobble up even a web-generated certificate with their name on it if their peers know about it....

Our company has a big recognition program. Each Main Department (4) awards employee an employee of the quarter. Then you have the employee of the year. Not sure of the award prizes but I know it involves days off and maybe a few $$$. Persons are nominated by there boss or by other employees. I am sure someone from HR would be glad to discuss the program. Give me a call if you want a number.

In one of our facilities, we give small monthly awards ($25 gift card) to each member of the team with the most improvements/problems solved. Every employee is on a continuous improvement team. We also give a $25 gift card each month to the individual with the most improvement suggestions outside their department. The only criteria is that the suggestion has to be reasonable. Both awards include a photo on the "wall of fame". It works incredibly well there, generating both interest and friendly competition.

Special recognition for service above and beyond should be noted and celebrated, even if in very small, non-monetary ways. If someone comes up with a good idea, make sure his/her peers know where it came from and what it accomplished. Present them with a token of appreciation, many employees with gobble up even a web-generated certificate with their name on it if their peers know about it....

This is textbook Lean Enterprise. You don't give anything beyond a small token and/or recognition, because that tends to undermine the idea that improvement activity is part of everyone's normal work responsibilities.

Our County is looking for feedback on our recognition program so I started to do some researching and thought what better than to have a focus group at the huddle

TIA

Working in IT has skewed my thinking process a bit. When I read the title I was thinking you needed some kind of security measure to make sure the county employees are who they say they are. Like a fingerprint scanner or biometrics. Damn, I gotta get out more.

A few different ones.

Each employee can give 10 "ACE" points per quarter to other employess. ACE stands for Awards to Celebrate Excellence. Managers can also give ACE points kind of like bonuses for special recognition, ACE points can be redeemed for a catalog of items including electronics, travel, etc.

We have a Safety Hero program where employees can nominate fellow employees for performing actions or going above and beyond in relation to a safety or potential safety matter. If the nomination is selected from the Safety Team to be a Safety hero for that quarter, they are invited to a luncheon in honor of all of the safety heroes for that quarter.

Many of the work groups also have awards for within their group, usually to recognize someone for excelling in the core values of the company. These people are selected by votes from their fellow employees in the work group, so it really is recognition from their peers for their performance. Many managers tie ACE points to these awards.

ETA: Our Law and HR departments have made it policy that we are not allowed to give out gift cards to employees. There are also potential issues with the ACE program as it can have relation to a cash value. It stems from potential issues with hourly employees, and how the value of any potential award/bonus affects their hourly rate, and thus the proper accounting for overtime hours, etc.

Edited by Big Country

Working in IT has skewed my thinking process a bit. When I read the title I was thinking you needed some kind of security measure to make sure the county employees are who they say they are. Like a fingerprint scanner or biometrics. Damn, I gotta get out more.

+ :wacko:

My division does a monthly award for outstanding customer service or general achievement. We used to get $100 Amex gift checks, but now it's just a fancy looking certificate. Since they are free to hand out and ostensibly build morale, most employees have a few displayed on their cubicle wall or a stack of them in a drawer.

To me the real recognition comes at bonus time, early March. We're extremely generous in that department. :wacko:

We basically only have one award, and that is employee of the year. There is a committee of supervisors to select the winner, but they allow all employees the chance to nominate a fellow employee. There is a form we fill out and a short narrative to use for describing why we feel that person is deserving. The award ends up being something like $1000. If you need to use something that is more frequent, I would go to a quarterly award.