[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

$1.4 million to charity

bushwacked

Obama donates Nobel Peace Prize money.

Kind of odd how there is a clamoring tissy fit on these boards when he wins the Nobel Peace Prize, and then not a peep about this.

Yeah, that's great. However, he NEVER should have won it in the first place. I think he realizes that and that's why he donated the money.

Yeah, that's great. However, he NEVER should have won it in the first place. I think he realizes that and that's why he donated the money.

Well done. Not only do you go back to carping about the original award, you also manage to ascribe base motives for him giving it away. Nicely played. :wacko:

Why are you so negative?

PS: Well done. You ignore the fact that he got an award he didn't deserve when the topic comes back up. :wacko:

That aside, I do give him props for this. And esp for this:

The most money -- $250,000 -- went to Fisher House, which provides housing for families of patients being cared for at major military and VA medical centers.

:D

Edited by BeeR

Well, what did George W. Bush do with his Nobel Prize money?

Bought a hovercraft, drove down to SC, bought a bunch of fireworks and shot them off on the beach, ate nothing but beef jerky and cans of frosting for a month, got sick, finally came home and got yelled at by Laura.

Honestly what else could he have done with the prize money? Any President, even this one, would be skewered by the media and the populous if he were to keep it for himself. We can say it is a nice gesture, but it is a completely expected (almost demanded) gesture as well.

This isn't a pro or anti Obama comment, but I'm just curious:

Obama had proposed making contributions to charity no longer tax deductable. If this were the case would he still be hit with the 1.4 M as income even though he's giving away? What ever happened to that idea?

Edited by SayItAintSoJoe

Kind of odd how there is a clamoring tissy fit on these boards when he wins the Nobel Peace Prize, and then not a peep about this.

do you honestly think how one disburses the prize money is as newsworthy as winning the award in the first place? :wacko:

but hey, I'm glad you have something to cheer for :D

do you honestly think how one disburses the prize money is as newsworthy as winning the award in the first place? :wacko:

Considering you cant blame Obama for getting nominated by someone else and then winning, when he has no say in the process . . . . but Obama IS responsible what he does with the winnings, I am not surprised that the right are silent on the charitable donation. After all . . isnt Obama the devil?

And it really isnt all that surprising considering almost every other Prez that has won has donated the winnings . . . .

Honestly what else could he have done with the prize money? Any President, even this one, would be skewered by the media and the populous if he were to keep it for himself. We can say it is a nice gesture, but it is a completely expected (almost demanded) gesture as well.

Exactly!!!

While you've missed my point, it's rather predictable to watch you exemplify it.

This isn't a pro or anti Obama comment, but I'm just curious:

Obama had proposed making contributions to charity no longer tax deductable. If this were the case would he still be hit with the 1.4 M as income even though he's giving away? What ever happened to that idea?

Depending on the timing and legal nature of the President's action, it could be treated as if he never received the money in the first place: that it went straight to charity. If that were the case, then the President would not have any income from the prize in the first place, and the charity's tax-exempt status would most likely shield the entire $1.4mm from income taxation. The availability of the charitable contribution deduction would be a non-factor, unless the President first took possession of the money, rolled around in it for a while, then stuffed as much of it as possible into Michelle's G-string before donating it.

Edited by yo mama

from the linked article

CBS News White House correspondent Mark Knoller reports that the president is letting the Nobel Committee distribute the prize money according to his list of charities. He will not get tax deductions for the donations.

legally, is he allowed to even keep the money? Aren't presidents forbidden from receiving any other income while in the office of the presidency? Hence, their having to place all assets acquired prior to their term in blind trusts during their term in office?

I honestly don't know, looking for answers.

legally, is he allowed to even keep the money? Aren't presidents forbidden from receiving any other income while in the office of the presidency? Hence, their having to place all assets acquired prior to their term in blind trusts during their term in office?

I honestly don't know, looking for answers.

They can't accept gifts. They can receive income.

So if Obama sells me crack, he can take the money for it?

Now that I think about it, there may be restrictions on wage-based income. But things like interest, dividends, rental income, etc. are all fine. In any event, how much can a TimC balloon work really be worth?

They can't accept gifts. They can receive income.

But it would have to go into a blind trust administered by a third party, correct? So, would the award money be a gift or income? Or a charitable donation?