[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Income Taxes

whomper

How did you do ?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. How did you do on your income taxes ?

• Got crushed
    • Getting money back
    • Broke just about even
    • Puddy
  2. 2. How did you prepare your taxes ?

• Accountant
    • Turbo tax or similar program
    • I literally used Puddy

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're gonna be one happy mofo.

House Ways and Means Committee Republicans have issued a summary of the 25 tax increases signed into law by Mr. Obama so far. They total $670 billion over the next 10 years, including 14 tax hikes (including an annual tax on every insurance policy and an annual tax on brand-name drugs) that break Mr. Obama's solemn 2008 campaign pledge never to raise taxes on families making less than $250,000 a year.

Recent polling shows that most people believe President Obama has either left taxes the same for this past year or actually raised them. The truth could not be more different. The President cut taxes for 98 percent of working people in 2009

You're gonna be one happy mofo.

House Ways and Means Committee Republicans have issued a summary of the 25 tax increases signed into law by Mr. Obama so far. They total $670 billion over the next 10 years, including 14 tax hikes (including an annual tax on every insurance policy and an annual tax on brand-name drugs) that break Mr. Obama's solemn 2008 campaign pledge never to raise taxes on families making less than $250,000 a year.

OMG an op-ed piece written by Karl Rove . . :wacko::tup: Dude cant you find a better source? :tup::lol: If it is true, then I am sure that you can find it somewhere besides an opinion piece written by a Republican strategist . . . . cant you?

Your attempt to access the requested site may be in violation of ******** policy and has been restricted by the Technology Services Department.

Site Category: "Political/Activist Groups"

Blocked web page: http://www.ctj.org/obamastaxcuts.php

:wacko:

OMG an op-ed piece written by Karl Rove . . :wacko::tup: Dude cant you find a better source? :tup::lol: If it is true, then I am sure that you can find it somewhere besides an opinion piece written by a Republican strategist . . . . cant you?

Do you dispute the information you quoted in your reply?

Do you dispute the information you quoted in your reply?

Can you provide any gard evidence besides an OPINION piece that uses the HOUSE REPUBLICANS as its source?

real information has things like foot notes and references to prove validity . . sadly enough Karl Rove doesnt use those pesky details.

http://ctj.org/pdf/truthaboutobamataxcuts.pdf

we try (and fail miserably every year) to adjust my withholding so that we don't have to make quarterly payments on my wife's income as a musician. in 2007, we owed like a grand, and in 2008 we owed like $2500, then this year we got back $2500 :wacko:

this year I am going to look at it at least once or twice during the year to try and at least get it into three digits one way or the other.

I've used TurboTax for several years, now... Always gotten money back, or at the very worst, had to pay in a few hundred. This year, however, we got crushed to the tune of about 8 grand. Biggest change is that this is the first year (in its entirety) that we didn't pay any mortgage interest (currently renting since September 2008). I knew that was going to make a significant difference, and that we were going to have to pay in. I underestimated the impact, however, and we're taking the hit because of it.

I guess the good news is that we didn't "let the government use our money" during the year. The downside of that is that we were charged a "Penalty for Underpayment of Estimated Tax"... something I never knew even existed. :tup: Oh well... that penalty is pocket change compared to what we would have been charged for filing/paying late.

First thing on my agenda, going forward, is to adjust what is being withheld from our paychecks. Since we're already nearly a third of the way through 2010, it's going to have to be a pretty drastic adjustment, in order to avoid the same thing happening next April. In all honesty, it's probably too late at this point (to completely avoid paying in next year), but at least we can soften the blow by increasing our withholdings for the remaining 8 and 1/2 months.

Lesson learned... mortgage interest truly is your best friend, come tax season. One of our goals is definitely to get back into the housing market within the next couple of years. This will also be the last year, more than likely, that I avoid going to a CPA for taxes... We completed a short-sale on our previously owned home in January. Ended up selling for about 40% of what we bought the house for. Very ugly situation, and a LONG story. Needless to say, I'll need some expert advise next year, as our lender may be sending us a fairly hefty 1099 due to the short-sale. :wacko:

We completed a short-sale on our previously owned home in January. Ended up selling for about 40% of what we bought the house for. Very ugly situation, and a LONG story. Needless to say, I'll need some expert advise next year, as our lender may be sending us a fairly hefty 1099 due to the short-sale. :wacko:

Ouch. :tup:

I've used TurboTax for several years, now... Always gotten money back, or at the very worst, had to pay in a few hundred. This year, however, we got crushed to the tune of about 8 grand. Biggest change is that this is the first year (in its entirety) that we didn't pay any mortgage interest (currently renting since September 2008). I knew that was going to make a significant difference, and that we were going to have to pay in. I underestimated the impact, however, and we're taking the hit because of it.

I guess the good news is that we didn't "let the government use our money" during the year. The downside of that is that we were charged a "Penalty for Underpayment of Estimated Tax"... something I never knew even existed. :tup: Oh well... that penalty is pocket change compared to what we would have been charged for filing/paying late.

First thing on my agenda, going forward, is to adjust what is being withheld from our paychecks. Since we're already nearly a third of the way through 2010, it's going to have to be a pretty drastic adjustment, in order to avoid the same thing happening next April. In all honesty, it's probably too late at this point (to completely avoid paying in next year), but at least we can soften the blow by increasing our withholdings for the remaining 8 and 1/2 months.

Lesson learned... mortgage interest truly is your best friend, come tax season. One of our goals is definitely to get back into the housing market within the next couple of years. This will also be the last year, more than likely, that I avoid going to a CPA for taxes... We completed a short-sale on our previously owned home in January. Ended up selling for about 40% of what we bought the house for. Very ugly situation, and a LONG story. Needless to say, I'll need some expert advise next year, as our lender may be sending us a fairly hefty 1099 due to the short-sale. :wacko:

That blows - sorry for you hugh loss. Contemplating a decision that might have similar ramifications - whether or not to buy a home in CA, which is still listed as a declining housing market. I hate to buy and get upsidedown in a house, but would also hate to lose out on all that beautiful interest in a new mortgage....

We completed a short-sale on our previously owned home in January. Ended up selling for about 40% of what we bought the house for. Very ugly situation, and a LONG story. Needless to say, I'll need some expert advise next year, as our lender may be sending us a fairly hefty 1099 due to the short-sale. :wacko:

:tup:

Can't you children stay on topic and not go on your political witch hunts just once?

Some Huddler's come across as a chives when they talk politics.

Some Huddler's come across as a chives when they talk football.

Some Huddler's just come across as a chives.

It's all good. :wacko:

The Mortgage Debt Relief Act of 2007 generally allows taxpayers to exclude income from the discharge of debt on their principal residence. Debt reduced through mortgage restructuring, as well as mortgage debt forgiven in connection with a foreclosure, qualifies for the relief.

http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=179414,00.html

I don't know your situation but you probably won't have to pay tax on the debt forgiven in the short sale.