[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prime Time commercials

rajncajn

Here we are... me, the wife & kids (10 & 4) having a nice evening together watching Shrek on TV. Commercials come on & me & the wife get up to do various things and a friggin movie ad comes on for Nightmare on Elm Street for the kids to see. :tup: What !@#$ing A$$HAT is in charge of deciding when to air these things & WT F is he thinking? I'm getting real sick of this crap & it's happening with more & more frequency. :wacko:

We rarely watch live tv these days. We cut out cable/satellite and got a Tivo to record over the air signals. It also streams Netflix and some other web based media. I don't miss the other crap at all.

Edit: And we only pay $12 per month for a Tivo subscription.

Edited by Egret

Here we are... me, the wife & kids (10 & 4) having a nice evening together watching Shrek on TV. Commercials come on & me & the wife get up to do various things and a friggin movie ad comes on for Nightmare on Elm Street for the kids to see. :tup: What !@#$ing A$$HAT is in charge of deciding when to air these things & WT F is he thinking? I'm getting real sick of this crap & it's happening with more & more frequency. :wacko:

LOL, watching the SAME THING with the family last night. Brilliant programming . . .:tup:

Thanks for trying to force me to spend nearly one-half of my TV-watching life viewing the same commercials at every break, over and over and over and over

:wacko:

I don't have anything to do with programming. I just light the damn things.

It has gotten to where I won't even let my kids watch prime time network TV, because of what is said and seen, and I'm talking about the programing itself.

Exactly. My daughter loves American Ido and Dancing with teh Stars, but they can't even keep from saying off color things on those shows these days.

Exactly. My daughter loves American Ido and Dancing with teh Stars, but they can't even keep from saying off color things on those shows these days.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. But I can turn the damn thing off. Let them do whatever. If it gets bad enough I'll kill the cable connection. I've done it before. :wacko:

Prime time programming has become a bit risque. Before, say, 9:30, they should really kinda evaluate the family-friendliness of programming. There was one show in particular that absolutely floored me, Accidentally on Purpose, I believe was the name. Nothing socially redeeming about that show and I believe it was on at 8:30 ( The show was absolutely horrendous even if it had of been missing some of the innuendo, hell, I don't even know if I would call it innuendo.) One character was always stoned and they talked about that, the lady got knocked up after a one night stand and they were constantly talking about that, their lives revolved around hooking up, and it seemed that they were continuously intoxicated. I can uinderstand this lifestyle, it happened to most of us between 21 and 26 (30 in my case), but to have this on and for people below the age of say, 21, to be viewing this in primetime is just irresponsible.

That being said, I do fully believe it is the judgement of the parent and responsibility of the parent to police what their children watch, but, there are really not any alternatives on the national networks. Hell, cable programming is mild compared to what comes on NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox.

And then what isn't delving into drug/alcohol use (of typically divorced parents) is promoting "alternative" lifestyles, I just don't see how kids have any grounding in what a "normal" family, relationship, life, etc... is any more. Geesh parents have it tough.

Since my daughter is a year old (May the 3rd), I don't have to quite worry about it yet... But much like the whole gun thing, when she starts going over to friends houses I might wanna know what type of programming that family watches. :wacko:

Prime time programming has become a bit risque. Before, say, 9:30, they should really kinda evaluate the family-friendliness of programming. There was one show in particular that absolutely floored me, Accidentally on Purpose, I believe was the name. Nothing socially redeeming about that show and I believe it was on at 8:30 ( The show was absolutely horrendous even if it had of been missing some of the innuendo, hell, I don't even know if I would call it innuendo.) One character was always stoned and they talked about that, the lady got knocked up after a one night stand and they were constantly talking about that, their lives revolved around hooking up, and it seemed that they were continuously intoxicated. I can uinderstand this lifestyle, it happened to most of us between 21 and 26 (30 in my case), but to have this on and for people below the age of say, 21, to be viewing this in primetime is just irresponsible.

That being said, I do fully believe it is the judgement of the parent and responsibility of the parent to police what their children watch, but, there are really not any alternatives on the national networks. Hell, cable programming is mild compared to what comes on NBC, ABC, CBS and Fox.

And then what isn't delving into drug/alcohol use (of typically divorced parents) is promoting "alternative" lifestyles, I just don't see how kids have any grounding in what a "normal" family, relationship, life, etc... is any more. Geesh parents have it tough.

Since my daughter is a year old (May the 3rd), I don't have to quite worry about it yet... But much like the whole gun thing, when she starts going over to friends houses I might wanna know what type of programming that family watches. :wacko:

Nobody ever got poor underestimating the intelligence of the TV-watching masses. Basically, the worse it is, the more it sells.

Nobody ever got poor underestimating the intelligence of the TV-watching masses. Basically, the worse it is, the more it sells.

Sadly, you speak the truth...

And despite the best efforts of the founding fathers we let these people vote. :unsure

:

Many times I just shake my head over things I hear on TV (agree about some of the stuff they say and/or infer on Idol) or in commercials...the other day my wife and I were watching a show on ABC Family (Can't Buy Me Love was on and we had a blast looking at the 80's outfits) and a commercial came on for a new show that was going to be on ABC Family, Beauty and the Briefcase and it's premise was about a women evidently doing undercover study of dating for Cosmo or something like that but the entire commercial easily showed that the show was far from what I would consider a FAMILY show...and then there was a commercial for a series something like 10 Things I Hate About You....I couldnt really even tell what that show was about (outside of looking annoying) but just look at the title...not sure that sounds like a show that should be aired on ABC Family

Edited by keggerz

i'm not sure what your argument is. if i don't like something, i don't watch it. if i don't want my kid to watch something, i don't let her watch it. if she's watching something i've never seen, i watch it with her. like you said, it's the parents' responsibility to monitor what their kids watch. some parents don't give a crap what their kids do -- in my experience, what these kids see on tv is probably the least of their problems.

i'm not sure what your argument is. if i don't like something, i don't watch it. if i don't want my kid to watch something, i don't let her watch it. if she's watching something i've never seen, i watch it with her. like you said, it's the parents' responsibility to monitor what their kids watch. some parents don't give a crap what their kids do -- in my experience, what these kids see on tv is probably the least of their problems.

Just curious... what is probably most of their problems?? honestly, not trying to be a smartass here.

I'm the same way when it comes to my kids... "if i don't want my kid to watch something, i don't let her watch it. if she's watching something i've never seen, i watch it with her". The biggest pain is having to deal with other parents not monitoring or caring what their own kids watch and then having to be reminded that so and so gets to watch this or that. I know that's not a new problem to parents, but it seems in today's age you have to be on your guard so much more than in the old days before cable TV with 500+ channels, the internet, etc. I think that was the point SEC=UGA was making.

I know there have been studies about how many commercials and how many sexual images our kids get on a daily basis (although i don't have the numbers) and those that don't think they have an effect on behavior (much like music) are :wacko: .

This and a democratically controlled government are gonna bring this country down. :tup:

Not to butt in, but my argument is when I sit down with my kids to watch a KIDS movie or even a football game. Something to me should be considered FAMILY programming no matter what time of day it comes on. I shouldn't have to be on the lookout for psycho killer movie trailers every time the commercials come on. I DO monitor what my kids watch very closely. In fact, neither of my kids have cable in their rooms & our family PC is set up in the living room so we can also monitor what they do on it. Disney doesn't put Freddy Krueger trailers on it's DVD's, why should these networks think it's ok to stick it in on TV?

Just curious... what is probably most of their problems?? honestly, not trying to be a smartass here.

I'm the same way when it comes to my kids... "if i don't want my kid to watch something, i don't let her watch it. if she's watching something i've never seen, i watch it with her". The biggest pain is having to deal with other parents not monitoring or caring what their own kids watch and then having to be reminded that so and so gets to watch this or that. I know that's not a new problem to parents, but it seems in today's age you have to be on your guard so much more than in the old days before cable TV with 500+ channels, the internet, etc. I think that was the point SEC=UGA was making.

I know there have been studies about how many commercials and how many sexual images our kids get on a daily basis (although i don't have the numbers) and those that don't think they have an effect on behavior (much like music) are :wacko: .

This and a democratically controlled government are gonna bring this country down. :tup:

what i meant was: parents who toss their kids the remote and say, "have at it," probably aren't the most involved parents. these kids' problems aren't so much what they see on tv, it's that their parents don't give a crap.

Not to butt in, but my argument is when I sit down with my kids to watch a KIDS movie or even a football game. Something to me should be considered FAMILY programming no matter what time of day it comes on. I shouldn't have to be on the lookout for psycho killer movie trailers every time the commercials come on. I DO monitor what my kids watch very closely. In fact, neither of my kids have cable in their rooms & our family PC is set up in the living room so we can also monitor what they do on it. Disney doesn't put Freddy Krueger trailers on it's DVD's, why should these networks think it's ok to stick it in on TV?

i wasn't trying to derail the thread. i happen to agree with you that a commercial for a violent R-rated movie shouldn't be shown during a kids movie. but i hardly ever notice it because the only live tv our daughter watches is disney or nickelodeon -- everything else is either a recording, where we can fast-forward through commercials, or a dvd.

I think what I 'm trying to say is that the level of vigilance that parents must have today far exceeds that of when I was a child... and it's somewhat of a shame that society has "deteriorated" to this point. Don't get me wrong, there have always been shows that dealt with "adult" subject matter, but most of those were on cable stations and were reserved for slots after 9:00. One could argue that this new openess on certain subjects is good, when dealing with issues of families of divorce and homosexuality, as these situations are seemingly more prevalent in society at large today than they were when I was a child. But, at the same time, I believe it sets a bad precedent. Instead of giving children situational comedies that have "normal" families represented these new shows seem to exploit and aggrandize the "alternative" lifestyles.

For instance, when contemplating the subjects of the shows I watch, not a one of them, outside of The Middle, shows an intact, "normal", family. Two and a Half Men, My Name is Earl, The Office, How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family (that name really kind of captures it), etc... all seem to have a degenerate spin to them. Do I find them humorous, hell yeah, do I want my kids to exemplify or immulate the characters on these shows (other than Earl) probably not.

Therefore, in this day and age I have to continuously monitor not only what my children are doing outside of my house but inside as well, the Television has turned into somewhat of a dysfunctional element in society.

Maybe it is no worse than it once was, I can think of situations from Cheers, Night Court, etc... that dealt with mature subjects in the primetime slots, but they were much more innocuous, or so it seemed. Then you have the controversey over cartoons enciting violence and stupidity in the children of the 80's, which I really saw no realistic correlative evidence. So maybe it is just my perception is skewed and I'm becoming an old codger.

Playing devil's advocate here, but the job of the networks is to put out shows that people watch in order to drive advertising revenue. Unfortunately, I think watching a 'normal' family is not going to be entertaining.

It is the general buffoonery, over the top characterizations and tackling of certain subject matters in a comedic fashion that bring in the viewers, and, in specific, adult viewers with discretionary income that advertisers will pay to reach.

Sports are a prime example. You;d think it would be easy to watch a ballg ame with the kid, but really, the major demographic for most sporting events is the 18-55 year old male, which means you will get a lot of beer ads, action/horror movie ads, fast food, etc., and, let;s face it, to that demographic, sex sells, thus bikini clad women bouncing around in snow covered hot tubs for Coors Light, Freddy Krueger or Stallone shooting a bunch of people and the Carls Jr. girl seductively wiping the special sauce that got all over the place.

So, it is difficult as a father of young children to monitor this, but, we generally restrict what and how much the kids can watch and/or play when it comes to video games, and try to do our best to be vigilant. Like others have said, in this era of the DVR, I really watch very little live programming, and realistically other than some SpongeBob on the weekends, neither do my kids, it is usually either something we recorded for them, or, Boomerang or Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon on Demand where they watch cartoons with no commercials.