[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cops have a quota for DUI arrests?

millerx

Although I'm not a fan of drunk drivers I tend to think this is going overboard and is just plain wrong. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to DUI's in general... personally, I already believe it has gone too far with what constitutes legally drunk. The .08 breathalyzer is A) too low B ) is not always a good indicator of someones motor skills and coordination. And then when the cops place a quota on how many DUI's they need... well, that's just adds to it.

I wonder how prevalent this is throughout local and state law enforcement agencies?

ETA: forgot to add the link originally, so here:

Cops have DUI quota to meet

Edited by millerx

I've heard locally it's some kind of a "points system" instead of a "quota". Kind of like speeding tickets. You don't have to write X amount every month. But you get so many points for a certain kind of ticket and if you have enough months of below a certain point threshold, you find yourself in trouble with your boss. Here is my obligatory article link going against MADD (It's pretty interesting if you have the time to read it) The DUI exception to the Constitution.

. The .08 breathalyzer is A) too low B ) is not always a good indicator of someones motor skills and coordination.

In my state you can get a DUI below a 0.08, per police discretion. One guy got a DUI at 0.02 and my buddy got arrested for a DUI at 0.06; it's a bunch of crap.

State and local governments have to make money to pay for all the unfunded federal mandates that are pushed on them. I don't like it, but I certainly understand it.

:wacko:

Quotas aren't something that just happened when a black mooslim got in office.

:tup:

Edited by bushwacked

Although I'm not a fan of drunk drivers I tend to think this is going overboard and is just plain wrong. I know I'm in the minority when it comes to DUI's in general... personally, I already believe it has gone too far with the what the constitutes legally drunk. The .08 breathalyzer is A) too low B ) is not always a good indicator of someones motor skills and coordination. And then when the cops place a quota on how many DUI's they need... well, that's just adds to it.

I wonder how prevalent this is throughout local and state law enforcement agencies?

ETA: forgot to add the link originally, so here:

Cops have DUI quota to meet

they use the limit test in order to have a blanket system. how could you test for motor skills? there would be too many variables in that test. atleast with a breath test level, you are either drunk or not.

they use the limit test in order to have a blanket system. how could you test for motor skills? there would be too many variables in that test. atleast with a breath test level, you are either drunk or not.

Again, I don't think my state is unique in the BAC that doesn't really matter.

In my state you can get a DUI below a 0.08, per police discretion. One guy got a DUI at 0.02 and my buddy got arrested for a DUI at 0.06; it's a bunch of crap.

:wacko:

Quotas aren't something that just happened when a black mooslim got in office.

:tup:

Hey idiot, where did I mention your lord and savior? This has been a problem since FDR, and with very few and minor exceptions, little has been done about it.

I've heard locally it's some kind of a "points system" instead of a "quota". Kind of like speeding tickets. You don't have to write X amount every month. But you get so many points for a certain kind of ticket and if you have enough months of below a certain point threshold, you find yourself in trouble with your boss. Here is my obligatory article link going against MADD (It's pretty interesting if you have the time to read it) The DUI exception to the Constitution.

That was a very enlightening read.

That was a very enlightening read.

Glad you liked it. It's one of those well written clips on the web that I think everyone should read (for perspective at least) but I don't want to get all preachy about it so I just link to it on occasional relevant threads.

has to be winnable in court, no?

My buddy with a 0.06 got it dropped to a neg; which isn't that much less Draconian in what it results in than a DUI. The guy that had a 0.02 actually won an out of court settlement...point being, if a cop testifies in court that you were below 0.08 but appeared to be more than legally intoxicated (for whatever reason); what do you think is going to happen most of the time?

Bushwhacked is right. In the county where I reside, you can basically be convicted on a DUI no matter your BAC, as long as it registers.

IOW, you could look like the guy who this cop's wife is banging. He can pull you over with the excuse you're driving erratically, make you take a breathalyzer (if you refuse in GA you lose your license for automatic 1 year - how's that 5th amendment protection about testifying against yourself again? :wacko:) you blow a .02, well under the limit, but the cop gets to arrest you to get your evil D&D stink off the road.

Not only can it be completely arbitrary, it's a HUGH money maker for the county. Minimum first offense sentence is 1 year probation with other stuff you have to pay for.

State and local governments have to make money to pay for all the unfunded federal mandates that are pushed on them. I don't like it, but I certainly understand it.

I hope you also understand that the very people that are supposed to serve and protect us then target the population to increase their revenue. That is a direct conflict of interest. Not OK, on any level.

I hope you also understand that the very people that are supposed to serve and protect us then target the population to increase their revenue. That is a direct conflict of interest. Not OK, on any level.

Apparently it is, because the asset forfeiture laws don't stir anyone up. :wacko:

I read this last time you posted it. It should be required reading for everyone. The law has been so twisted by MADD.

That and the influence of MADD is a lot more significant on how DUI laws have changed than the predictable talking point scapegoat that Perch is knee-jerking on.

Am I the only one that has a problem with the police at any level being required to give out a certain number of tickets or make a certain number of arrests for anything? Hey, Jude is wrong with all of you? Oooo, I'm 30 citations short and only three days to go, I guess I better go find someone doing something wrong. Either the LEO is not doing his or her job or it is a complete abuse of power just to generate revenue for the municipality or state. It is totally unacceptable IMO.

Again, I don't like it, I just understand why it is done.

Am I the only one that has a problem with the police at any level being required to give out a certain number of tickets or make a certain number of arrests for anything? Hey, Jude is wrong with all of you? Oooo, I'm 30 citations short and only three days to go, I guess I better go find someone doing something wrong. Either the LEO is not doing his or her job or it is a complete abuse of power just to generate revenue for the municipality or state. It is totally unacceptable IMO.

I guess you missed my sarchasm about the same cops stealing peoples property. :wacko: