[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Massive Gulf Coast Oil Spill

BeeR

Must....breathe. I swear I hate foreigners more every day. We need to become an isolationist country again like pre WWII. Take care of ourselves first and foremost. The rest of the world can have our scraps.

And this time if they start fighting with each other (it's inevitable because they are lower life forms) then we nuke them out of existance this time.

+1. I don't understand why we need to be the world's cop, rich uncle, spiritual advisor, buddy with a couch where you can crash, etc. We are inching toward bankruptcy if the debt keeps its current trend.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must....breathe. I swear I hate foreigners more every day. We need to become an isolationist country again like pre WWII. Take care of ourselves first and foremost. The rest of the world can have our scraps.

And this time if they start fighting with each other (it's inevitable because they are lower life forms) then we nuke them out of existance this time.

Bail ME out to pay for the $20 a gallon for gas :wacko:

Agreed.

Obama's Gulf Oil Spill Commission and the Missing Experts

By Robert Eugene Simmons Jr

Instead of an oil spill commission staffed with experts, as promised in his Oval Office address, the president has announced a panel with membership that reads like a Who's Who of radical environmentalism. Former Senator Graham of Florida, for example, has consistently pushed for a ban on oil drilling, and Frances Beinecke of the National Resources Defense Council has argued for the global warming agenda -- including linking "global poverty" to global warming, an argument used at the Copenhagen conference to support reparations to be paid to nations such as Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe for our supposed global crimes.

In fact, if you peruse the names of the council members, there isn't a single expert in oil drilling, oil platform rigs, or petroleum engineering. The panel's membership doesn't even include a single oil drilling company executive, or even a field engineer. In fact, the only technical-minded person on the commission at all is Cherry Murray, Dean of Harvard's Engineering School. Murray has had a long and distinguished academic career at all of the "right" schools, but she has absolutely nothing in her resume to indicate that she has the slightest knowledge about petroleum exploration. When it comes to academics, there isn't even one professor that specializes in petroleum exploration despite the plethora of possible names that could be drawn from institutions such as the prestigious Colorado School of Mines.

In addition to the shocking lack of engineering and petroleum drilling experience on the panel, there isn't a single person with experience in investigation or forensic science. When we consider that the actual Deepwater Horizon rig is at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico, we might expect to see an expert in deepwater salvage on the commission, but that expertise is also lacking.

In fact, the only thing this council is qualified to do is to put forth an alternative energy policy as a "solution" to oil drilling in general. Although that outcome would certainly please Obama and the Democrats looking for political cover to pass "Cap and Trade," the panel wouldn't be even remotely qualified to "offer recommendations on what additional safety and environmental standards we need to put in place."

What the commission should be charged with is finding answers, not providing political cover for the environmentalist agenda. Regardless of what you believe about global warming, there are more pressing questions that need to be answered. We need to know what exactly happened on the rig to cause the explosion. If faulty equipment or procedures were at fault, we need to find out how that equipment got past testing and who authorized its installation. We need to find out why the safety regulations were waived on the BP platform and who waived them. In addition, we need to find out why the fire was put out on the rig rather than allowing the oil to burn off. And who had the bright idea to spray several thousand gallons of water at a floating, burning ship, thus sinking it to the bottom of the gulf and snapping the riser pipe it was connected to?

Not the least of the questions that need to be answered is the nature of the money trail in relation to this disaster. We need to find out what the connection is between George Soros and Tony Podesta is in relation to the disaster. Soros stands to make billions from the offshore drilling ban, and Tony Podesta is the main lobbyist for BP and brother to John Podesta at Soros' Center for American Progress. In every other investigation, the police will follow the money, but in this case, it is being brushed off and ignored. Were safety regulations and quality slowly eroded to create a ticking time bomb in the Gulf? All of these questions should be put to the test and answered.

Finally, we need to know why it is that these questions are not being investigated and answered. When terrorists slammed two planes into the World Trade Center, the government left no stone unturned to find out the causes of the disaster. However, when the lives of millions in the Gulf are being turned upside-down by the biggest ecological disaster of our time, the government isn't interested in answers, but only politics?

The eleven who lost their lives on the rig are not being granted the most basic justice given to any worker killed on a job in the USA. Their names and faces are being coated with oil and politics. If the Obama administration had any sense of ethical responsibility, the commission would be staffed with experts and investigators looking for answers, not environmentalists looking to impose their agenda on the American people.

I could do with out the Soros conspiracy theory, and contemplated removing it from the post above because I think it lunacy. Still the rest of the article makes very valid and concerning points.

Federal Gov't Halts Sand Berm Dredging

Nungesser Pleads With President To Allow Work To Continue

POSTED: 5:37 pm CDT June 22, 2010

UPDATED: 8:59 am CDT June 23, 2010

NEW ORLEANS --

Public Officials Spar Over Sand Berms

The federal government is shutting down the dredging that was being done to create protective sand berms in the Gulf of Mexico.

The berms are meant to protect the Louisiana coastline from oil. But the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department has concerns about where the dredging is being done.

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser, who was one of the most vocal advocates of the dredging plan, has sent a letter to President Barack Obama, pleading for the work to continue.

Nungesser said the government has asked crews to move the dredging site two more miles farther off the coastline.

"Once again, our government resource agencies, which are intended to protect us, are now leaving us vulnerable to the destruction of our coastline and marshes by the impending oil," Nungesser wrote to Obama. "Furthermore, with the threat of hurricanes or tropical storms, we are being put at an increased risk for devastation to our area from the intrusion of oil.

Nungesser has asked for the dredging to continue for the next seven days, the amount of time it would take to move the dredging operations two miles and out resume work.

Work is scheduled to halt at midnight Wednesday.

The California dredge located off the Chandelier Islands has pumped more than 50,000 cubic yards of material daily to create a sand berm, according to Plaquemines Parish officials.

Nungesser's letter includes an emotional plea to the president.

"Please don't let them shut this dredge down," he wrote. "This requires your immediate attention!"

Link

I could do with out the Soros conspiracy theory, and contemplated removing it from the post above because I think it lunacy. Still the rest of the article makes very valid and concerning points.

Absolutely. Soros is a fine man. The fact that he is heavily invested in the Brazilian oil company and stands to make a fortune from Obama's moratorium means nothing. No need to mention any of that.

Absolutely. Soros is a fine man. The fact that he is heavily invested in the Brazilian oil company and stands to make a fortune from Obama's moratorium means nothing. No need to mention any of that.

+1

Anytime someone stands to make millions/billions off of a "disaster", Im pretty sure it is safe to say there is more to it than meets the eye *cough* 9/11 *cough*

Nungesser needs to shut the hell up and start listening to the people who actually know a little bit about the ecosystem. I'm all for making sure the govt and BP remain diligent in eliminating this problem. But just barreling ahead with no regard to the natural makeup of the barrier islands could end up doing much more harm than good.

Another setback today:

More oil gushing into Gulf after problem with cap

AP – By MICHAEL KUNZELMAN, Associated Press Writer Michael Kunzelman, Associated Press Writer – 18 mins ago

NEW ORLEANS – Tens of thousands of gallons more oil gushed into the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday after an undersea robot bumped a venting system, forcing BP to remove the cap that had been containing some of the crude.

The setback, yet another in the nine-week effort to stop the gusher, came as thick pools of oil washed up on Pensacola Beach in Florida and the Obama administration tried to figure out how to resurrect a six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling.

When the robot bumped the system just before 10 a.m. Wednesday, gas rose through the vent that carries warm water down to prevent ice-like crystals from forming, Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said.

Crews were checking to see if crystals had formed before putting it back on. BP spokesman Bill Salvin could not say how long that might take.

"We're doing it as quickly as possible," he said.

Before the problem with the containment cap, it had collected about 700,000 gallons of oil in 24 hours and sucked it up to a ship on the surface. That's oil that's now pouring into the Gulf. Another 438,000 gallons was burned on the surface by a different system that was not affected by the issue with the cap.

A similar problem doomed the effort to put a bigger containment device over the blown-out well in May. BP had to abandon the four-story box after the crystals called hydrates clogged it, threatening to make it float away.

The smaller cap, which had worked fine until now, had been in place since early June. To get it there, though, crews had to slice away a section of the leaking pipe, meaning the flow of oil could be stronger now than before.

The current worst-case estimate of what's spewing into the Gulf is about 2.5 million gallons a day. Anywhere from 67 million to 127 million gallons have spilled since the April 20 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon rig that killed 11 workers and blew out the well 5,000 feet underwater. BP PLC was leasing the rig from owner Transocean Ltd.

Any updates on this? Did the big guy get the job done?

Another setback today:

More oil gushing into Gulf after problem with cap

[balla] Another Obamination, everyone needs to pray harder for BP.[/balla]

Edited by bushwacked

Nungesser needs to shut the hell up and start listening to the people who actually know a little bit about the ecosystem. I'm all for making sure the govt and BP remain diligent in eliminating this problem. But just barreling ahead with no regard to the natural makeup of the barrier islands could end up doing much more harm than good.

Dont tell Perch that, he and Jindal have this whole thing figured out. . .:wacko:

:wacko: praying for a resolution isn't something to make fun of. Obama is a bigger disastor than this spill will ever be, and I'm glad you defend him. :tup: Go ahead and make fun of me and others in my state affected by this disastor, many here realize the only hope is a miracle. If yer President is going to lie and be unactive, and leave this whole mess to BP, why wouldn't I ask God to empower them? You are no better than BeeR with your stupid insensitive posts.

:wacko: praying for a resolution isn't something to make fun of. Obama is a bigger disastor than this spill will ever be, and I'm glad you defend him. :tup: Go ahead and make fun of me and others in my state affected by this disastor, many here realize the only hope is a miracle. If yer President is going to lie and be unactive, and leave this whole mess to BP, why wouldn't I ask God to empower them? You are no better than BeeR with your stupid insensitive posts.

Huh?

Probably your weakest post ever. (That is hard to imagine. Your humor is rarely even worth a snicker, but this is weak as hell. So your answer to a post from someone smack dab in the middle of this disaster is to be petty about his disdain for your leader? Wow. You seriously need to take a break from here.