[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so...europe is looking like garbage. africa pretty bad too. but asia and the americas looking pretty solid. interesting phenomena.

How do they seed the groups? Is there a mandatory spread? No group has more than 2 euro teams and that looks like the cap on 'same continent' teams. Anyone know?

How do they seed the groups? Is there a mandatory spread? No group has more than 2 euro teams and that looks like the cap on 'same continent' teams. Anyone know?

There is an element of that (keeping continents spread) mixed with a seeding system based on world ranking and previous world cup results.

Question: What happens to the yellow cards obtained in group play, previous to heading into the round of 16? IIRC, the ones they have received up to this point are eliminated and they start with a clean slate again, right? But from here to the final they are kept in the books.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know someone knows the answer to this.

Question: What happens to the yellow cards obtained in group play, previous to heading into the round of 16? IIRC, the ones they have received up to this point are eliminated and they start with a clean slate again, right? But from here to the final they are kept in the books.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I know someone knows the answer to this.

This article says they keep accumulating and are wiped clean after the quarter-finals (round of 8).

I did not watch the game but looks like Brazil and Portugal ties. I read somewhere that teams do this if going into the last game a tie means both move on. Is this true?

If it is true, it is another thing that bugs me about soccer - you shuld ALWAYS play to win. Why would you not? If Portugal would win they would then win the group.

Saw a few more times yesterday when a goalie would make a save and flop on the ground - seems like they try very hard to make every save look spectacular - why not land on your feet so you are ready for a rebound? Just another annoying thing (kindalike the scrum in the net of the Italy match where both the Italian and the goalie faked serious injuries when nothing much happened).

Take away the faking/flopping and I am enjoying this world cup.

I did not watch the game but looks like Brazil and Portugal ties. I read somewhere that teams do this if going into the last game a tie means both move on. Is this true?

If it is true, it is another thing that bugs me about soccer - you shuld ALWAYS play to win. Why would you not? If Portugal would win they would then win the group.

Saw a few more times yesterday when a goalie would make a save and flop on the ground - seems like they try very hard to make every save look spectacular - why not land on your feet so you are ready for a rebound? Just another annoying thing (kindalike the scrum in the net of the Italy match where both the Italian and the goalie faked serious injuries when nothing much happened).

Take away the faking/flopping and I am enjoying this world cup.

yeah really, I mean this never happens in the NFL when a team has the playoffs clinched and they bench their starters.... :wacko:

We get it, you don't like soccer...now kindly F-off

Edited by alexgaddis

Group play is all about finishing in the top 2, nothing more. Risk management is the name of the game.

yeah really, I mean this never happens in the NFL when a team has the playoffs clinched and they bench their starters.... :wacko:

When did I say that that does not annoy me?

Not sure if NFL teams do it much when it comes down to winning the division or coming second?

Group play is all about finishing in the top 2, nothing more. Risk management is the name of the game.

and in my mind that is wrong.

For example Chile v Spain - Chile is guaranteed in and will win the group with a win or tie - if they win and Switzerland beats Honduras then SPain is OUT (I think I have this all worked out) - Chile should do the best they can and try to eliminate a power like SPain but it seems like teams are content to just play for a tie.