[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

When did I say that that does not annoy me?

Not sure if NFL teams do it much when it comes down to winning the division or coming second?

I'll tell you what annoys me most about the NFL - taking a knee. With a full two minutes left on the clock, the game simply ends. Ridiculous.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did I say that that does not annoy me?

Not sure if NFL teams do it much when it comes down to winning the division or coming second?

You said thats what bugs you about soccer, as if this phenomenon is specific to the sport...when really it happens in all sports...

by the way, had you watched the game you would have seen Portugal taking plenty of chances to try to win...they simply didn't score...

Then stop watching, soccer doesn't need you

Yikes - don't get your panties in a wad.

When it happens in football it also annoys me - it seems ties and playing for ties in soccer happens much more than in any other sport - especially when a win does change the actual standing of the pool.

Man - very defensive but I can also see why you are defensive - soccer takes a ton of ribbing here in the states.

Like someone else said - all it takes is 3 hours of practice and you are ready to play world cup soccer :wacko:

Agree, gbp. It would be great if soccer was like that tennis match yesterday and they basically played to the death until a winner was determined.

No it wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with a tie in regular season play in any sport as far as I'm concerned.

No it wouldn't. There's nothing wrong with a tie in regular season play in any sport as far as I'm concerned.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression the World Cup was like the playoffs in the NFL?

I may be wrong but I was under the impression the World Cup was like the playoffs in the NFL?

It is but only once the field is reduced to 16. A 90 minute tie then triggers a further 30 minutes, then a penalty shootout.

ETA: Ties in the group stage keep all sorts of result combinations possible. Wins only could finish the groups off after only two games. Ties make that less likely.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

maybe in reg season but you should always play till someone scores in postseason - would love to see soccer go and go and go as opposed to penalty kicks.

maybe in reg season but you should always play till someone scores in postseason - would love to see soccer go and go and go as opposed to penalty kicks.

You'll find a lot of support for that among soccer fans too.

It is but only once the field is reduced to 16. A 90 minute tie then triggers a further 30 minutes, then a penalty shootout.

ETA: Ties in the group stage keep all sorts of result combinations possible. Wins only could finish the groups off after only two games. Ties make that less likely.

I see....so it's one of those sports that plays one sport and then totally plays another sport in tie-breaker time to eventually determine a winner. No thanks.

I see....so it's one of those sports that plays one sport and then totally plays another sport in tie-breaker time to eventually determine a winner. No thanks.

Even in the penalty shootout after a 0-0 tie, someone has to score. And the penalty shot is part of the game so how is it two sports?

of reaction to the US goal vs algeria.

If that doesn't give you goosebumps, nothing will.

Is this a great game or what? It can be tedious, it can be low-scoring but the highs are just stratospheric. I still think the difficulty of scoring a goal is one of the things that makes it so exciting.

agreed...they have all this pressure but have created very few real scoring chances.

They had that one to the right of goal but blazed it miles over the bar. He had time too.

ETA: I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict a Korea goal in the next 15 minutes.

Edited by Ursa Majoris