[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

:wacko: I popped my World Cup "never have seen a goal in my life live" cherry. Watched the last 5 minutes or so. Pretty cool.

It's sorta like the NBA, isn't it? Just watch the final few minutes for the excitement. Anyways, good job USA.

To the contrary, you needed to watch the all the close calls in the last 1/2 to better appreciate the dramatic ending.

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the contrary, you needed to watch the all the close calls in the last 1/2 to better appreciate the dramatic ending.

Yeah, it's called SportsCenter highlights. All the excitement without all the boredom.

I was wathcing most of the match on a univision stream at home (with a sick kid who was hogging the tv :wacko:)....what a great match. I didn't see the beginning, so I missed the disallowed goal and the algiera crossbar, but what I did see....lots of great chances both ways, mostly for the US. the goal, wow...the defense-to-offense fast break, it was almost like an NBA game for a second. awesome. it seemed like the ball was sitting there for 30 seconds before donovan knocked it in. great stuff! :tup:

Bummer, I was working and hoped to get back into the truck before time expired... but sure was happy to hear what happened! I know it was in stoppage time.... quesation: How many more minutes of stoppage time was there before the timer ran out, after the goal? That is one thing I hate about soccer... stoppage time is some secret or something, you never know just how many seconds or minutes are left in a game.

Thanks, but we didn't need to see Darin with his shirt off. :tup:

[big John] :tup: Darin is not a complete and utter slobby fool [/big John]

---

Looking back on that Donovan goal... just par for the course (or pitch?) for him. Seems to always be in the right spot at the right time. He kinda played a bit tentative today, not taking advantage of the left defender being more of a "forward defender"... but hey, he was there when it counted.

And as someone who's played soccer for nearly 30 years, there is absolutely nothing like the feeling of putting the ball in goal. Yes, soccer haters, it's because there's not much scoring. :wacko: But hearing that ball spin against the back of the net is simply awesome.

Bummer, I was working and hoped to get back into the truck before time expired... but sure was happy to hear what happened! I know it was in stoppage time.... quesation: How many more minutes of stoppage time was there before the timer ran out, after the goal? That is one thing I hate about soccer... stoppage time is some secret or something, you never know just how many seconds or minutes are left in a game.

4 minutes were scheduled, they scored about 2 minutes in.

How many more minutes of stoppage time was there before the timer ran out, after the goal? That is one thing I hate about soccer... stoppage time is some secret or something, you never know just how many seconds or minutes are left in a game.

there was about a 1:45 left in the game after the goal.

And not sure if you knew, but the ref lets the sidelines know at the end of regulation how many extra minutes will be played, and then a sign is held up displaying how many additional minutes are left.

in this US match, there were four minutes of extra time, about 45 seconds of which was the US celebrating their goal.

there was about a 1:45 left in the game after the goal.

And not sure if you knew, but the ref lets the sidelines know at the end of regulation how many extra minutes will be played, and then a sign is held up displaying how many additional minutes are left.

in this US match, there were four minutes of extra time, about 45 seconds of which was the US celebrating their goal.

OK, I don't watch much soccer, but the announcers never seem to have a handle on just how much stoppage time is left... they seem to have a general idea, but it's still weird that there isn't a clock, at least I think so.

Is that :45 added to the stoppage time?

Depends on the referee but generally yes, most of it.

OK, I don't watch much soccer, but the announcers never seem to have a handle on just how much stoppage time is left... they seem to have a general idea, but it's still weird that there isn't a clock, at least I think so.

In soccer the referee is the sole arbiter of time, according to the laws. Why, you say? Because one of the principles of the International Board (the controlling body for the rules of world soccer) is that the fundamental laws of the game are to be the same for every match, all the way from internationals down to parks games. Thus, because the parks match wouldn't have an independent timekeeper, neither does the highest level match.

IMO, this rationale will eventually be dispensed with but that's why it's done this way.

In soccer the referee is the sole arbiter of time, according to the laws. Why, you say? Because one of the principles of the International Board (the controlling body for the rules of world soccer) is that the fundamental laws of the game are to be the same for every match, all the way from internationals down to parks games. Thus, because the parks match wouldn't have an independent timekeeper, neither does the highest level match.

IMO, this rationale will eventually be dispensed with but that's why it's done this way.

No matter the "real" rational, I like the fact that refs will usually allow play to continue if a reasonable attack is underway.