[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

Not going to spend a lot of time defending france here, as I am pretty sure the huddle is not exactly packed with francophiles, and to be honest this french team is not likeable (even less so now that it has the stench of defeat on it) both individually, and collectively.

HOWEVER let's not forget that Henry's handball did not rob the Irish from qualification, it robbed them the opportunity to continue trying to qualify. Had Henry not allowed Gallas to score on his handball, the game would have continued into overtime until someone scored, or gone to a penaly shootout (where the french would have been considered favorites) the winner of that would have gone on.

that is all.

See you guys in 4 more years.

Sorry, about being a dick, bad morning. :wacko:

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's 1940 all over again.

Learn a little history. It's easy to make uninformed statements.

Meanwhile, Rommel had surrounded five divisions of the French 1st Army near Lille. Though completely cut off, the French fought on for four days under General Molinié, thereby keeping seven German divisions from the assault on Dunkirk and saving a further 100,000 Allied troops.

and

Although Churchill had promised the French that the British would cover their escape, on the ground it was the French who held the line while the last remaining British were evacuated. Despite concentrated artillery fire and Luftwaffe strafing and bombs, the French stood their ground.

So the headline of l'equipe, france's sports paper with no bleeps or asterisks today is:

I'll fuck you up the ass, you son of a whore

alert: very raw language

which is what Anelka said to Domenech at half time when domenech had the 'audacity' to tell Anelka that he should be playing more up front rather than coming back and trying to be the ball distributor which pretty much everyone in the press has criticized Anelka for.

Which goes a long way to explaining why Anelka was yanked at the half.

Rumours say that Anelka might already be on hs way back to France.

In a ways this is a hugh relef to the French. We all knew that this team did not play as a team, had no class, and was coached by an inefectual dolt with a hugh talent to rub people the wrong way.

To have tangible, irrefutable proof of this is nice.

Small consolation on such a bad day for a french fan

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

So the headline of l'equipe, france's sports paper with no bleeps or asterisks today is:

I'll fuck you up the ass, you son of a whore

alert: very raw language

which is what Anelka said to Domenech at half time when domenech had the 'audacity' to tell Anelka that he should be playing more up front rather than coming back and trying to be the ball distributor which pretty much everyone in the press has criticized Anelka for.

Which goes a long way to explaining why Anelka was yanked at the half.

Rumours say that Anelka might already be on hs way back to France.

In a ways this is a hugh relef to the French. We all knew that this team did not play as a team, had no class, and was coached by an inefectual dolt with a hugh talent to rub people the wrong way.

To have tangible, irrefutable proof of this is nice.

Small consolation on such a bad day for a french fan

How exactly do you square Anelka saying this to his coach with your later statement that the coach has a "hugh talent to rub people the wrong way"? That would rub anyone the wrong way.

How exactly do you square Anelka saying this to his coach with your later statement that the coach has a "hugh talent to rub people the wrong way"? That would rub anyone the wrong way.

Domenech has annoyed the french public for over 4 years now doing things such as asking his girlfriend to marry him during his press conference that was supposed to be about the debacle of france during the 2008 euro, agreeing to a media blitz surrounding the announcement of the 23 players that would be going to S Africa after promissing not to repeat the mistake of the euro where 30 were announced and then 7 were sent home just before the euro and then on the given night announcing 30 players. Caving into the 'demands' of his players (ribery and anelka dislike gourcuff, so he was benched). switching formations for the 3 games leading up to the world cup, then going back to an old formation during the cup etc.... the list is really endless.

He is an incredibly grating man.

He obviously succeeded in grating Anelka a player to whom he gave his utmost confidence. Proving that he has the ability to annoy even his proteges.

Anelka viciously bit the annoying hand that fed him. Proving that he is classless.

I hope that clears it up :wacko:

who would have thought that Cameroon-denmark was going to be the best game of the world cup so far?

Not I.

Almost gave it a miss, but this game between two teams that HAD to win to go on to the next round was fantastic.

As someon pointed out earlier Week 1 is when you play not to lose.

Week 2 is when you play to go on....

Frikkin awesome match

who would have thought that Cameroon-denmark was going to be the best game of the world cup so far?

Not I.

Almost gave it a miss, but this game between two teams that HAD to win to go on to the next round was fantastic.

As someon pointed out earlier Week 1 is when you play not to lose.

Week 2 is when you play to go on....

Frikkin awesome match

Well, exciting, but sloppy as hell.

Italy getting a tie thanks to a flop in the box. Italy is a tough team to watch.

That's an amazing result for New Zealand. This tourney is wide open. I think the winner is going to come from South America given the frailty of most of the European teams. My money is on Argentina right now.

Very entertaining games so far--it's been exciting to watch and follow the different teams. I even took off Friday morning from work to go home and watch the US match with my kids. It's fun when you can connect with your kids with a sporting event---weather it's soccer, football, basketball--whatever. I remember watching things with my dad, mostly Broncos games, and even if the games weren't all that special, I still remember spending that time with him.

I have to say, I find the Brazil-Ivory Coast game rather uninteresting. Ivory Coast looked good early on but as I said to my son and my father, pressure without shots on goal is useless. Then Brazil pops one in and Ivory Coast seems to have just died. I'm hoping for a more interesting 2nd half.