[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

World Cup 2010

alexgaddis

What ever happened to that Freddie guy that everyone was touting a few years back ? Adu or something like that. Is he in the world cup ?

i was gonna post the same thing. that guy was supposed to be the jesus of american soccer. what happened?

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deported... :wacko: JK

While definitely disappointed to be left off the U.S. roster for the World Cup in South Africa, the 21-year-old former phenom is focusing on the 2014 tournament after starting to revive his career this year at the Greek club Aris Thessaloniki.

"I really wanted to be a part of this World Cup team," Adu said in a telephone interview this month from his home in Maryland. "That didn't happen, but now I have to look forward to the next one. The preparation really starts now for me. You have to become a regular on the national team and keep helping the team and make a difference out there. But 2014, hopefully I am one of the players that is important."

Adu moved to the United States from Ghana with his family when he was 8, quickly started showing his soccer ability and starred for the United States at the 2003 FIFA Under-17 World Championship. He scored three goals against South Korea and a game-winner against Sierra Leone in the tournament, where Spain's Cesc Fabregas was the MVP.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...bmn5yAD9GGROF00

Edited by SEC=UGA

Deported... :wacko: JK

While definitely disappointed to be left off the U.S. roster for the World Cup in South Africa, the 21-year-old former phenom is focusing on the 2014 tournament after starting to revive his career this year at the Greek club Aris Thessaloniki.

"I really wanted to be a part of this World Cup team," Adu said in a telephone interview this month from his home in Maryland. "That didn't happen, but now I have to look forward to the next one. The preparation really starts now for me. You have to become a regular on the national team and keep helping the team and make a difference out there. But 2014, hopefully I am one of the players that is important."

Adu moved to the United States from Ghana with his family when he was 8, quickly started showing his soccer ability and starred for the United States at the 2003 FIFA Under-17 World Championship. He scored three goals against South Korea and a game-winner against Sierra Leone in the tournament, where Spain's Cesc Fabregas was the MVP.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...bmn5yAD9GGROF00

I think he went to Europe, where he was exposed.

I think he went to Europe, where he was exposed.

Yep--when he played in the MLS he complained that the other players weren't good enough for him to properly display his skills--perhaps the same is true of the Europeans.

OK, now having mocked him, I hope he does eventually live up to close to the hype he had as a crappy shoes from spammers-promoted teenager.

OK, now having mocked him, I hope he does eventually live up to close to the hype he had as a crappy shoes from spammers-promoted teenager.

The filter made that sentence funnier when the "crappy" modifies "teenager"

Yeah, you try being a black guy in Europe....well, Northern Europe.

let me say this, a very good friend of mine is spending a few months in northern Europe right now and it seems that being a black guy in Europe has some very nice fringe benefits from the local women (well, that is, once he is able to convince them that he isn't just an African guy looking to get married so that he can get a visa).

Yep--when he played in the MLS he complained that the other players weren't good enough for him to properly display his skills--perhaps the same is true of the Europeans.

I hope so too but I remember saying at the time that going to Inter or Real or one of the big English teams would crucify him. I am not happy at being right because he had astounding skills.

That and his soccer awareness is terrible. He just never seems to make the right pass, or the right move, or be in the right position.

:wacko: He made an incredible header pass to Donovan in the game before last. He's young and with 4 more years of seasoning, he could be real good.

Been out of the loop for a while but got on and saw this and wanted to chime in on a few of the latest... sorry so long but addressing several topics...

Adu was a young phenom and still has mad skills but like many other youths in many other sports has struggled to grow with it into the ranks of the elite where the speed and physical nature of the game are unsurpassed, as one might imagine. Dude is still only 21 though.

Altidore, and hopefully others like him, is the future of American soccer. He has a combination of good size, athleticism and ball skills that I'm not sure we've ever had at forward. The big question is do we have others out there like him that will choose to play soccer rather than the other more dominant sports in our country.

Like so many others, the over the top, awful calls and non-calls in this cup are killing it for me from a spectator's perspective. I'm still watching because I love the game but come on guys.

I was concerned about our back line coming into the cup. I felt if they could just step up and be average we'd be okay but that didn't happen and it killed us. Having Hejduk, hurt on and off for close to a year now, and a healthy Onyewu would have made a world of difference.

As for having other teams to pull for... Germany and Spain

I was born in Germany and graduated from high school there so they are my number two. Back in the day when the US didn't even field competitive teams I always followed Germany. My favorite club team is Bayern Munchen.

I have Spanish ancestory. I was graced, through the passing down of names, with the middle name Ruiz. And I love the way they play the game.

To be clear, I am first and foremost an American and under no circumstances would I ever pull for another team other than the US national team when they are involved.

All that said, let's get on with it. The early games this weekend are truly big time, marquee match-ups.

Holland vs Brazil and Germany vs Argentina

I can't wait!