[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fox Sports really knows their stuff

Henry Muto

Someone at Fox Sports needs to be fired because after what I just read they have zero credability on this subject called Fantasy Football. I was at Barnes & Noble last night and figured I would look at some fantasy mags for fun and seen Fox Spots for only $4.95 so I said what the heck it be fun to buy my 1st mag this year even though I never usually buy this one it looked really nice and well put together.

So today I start reading it and get to the RB section.

25th ranked RB - Sproles and what they wrote about him.

Sproles is someone to keep an eye on during the preseason. He doesn't fit the mold of an every down RB but has no real competition for carries.

Their #43 ranked RB is Ryan Mathews

I can't believe someone is in this business and just wrote and ranked those RB's

They also have Best at #50 apparently this guy hates rookies.

The fact that the site said "Sproles has no real competition for carries" is what catches my attention.

Can they be serious with that statement ?

Ryan Mathews went 8th overall in the Fed Ex Experts draft.

I am not saying he is going to be great this year or even good but there is no way you can rank him behind Sproles or say he isn't even going to be a factor for carries. Why would have SD traded up to #12 to land him if he wasn't going to be part of their plans at RB.

Edited by Henry Muto

but the situations are like night and day....

Just pointing out RBs who people thought would perform very well in what appeared to be good situations for them to start, and it didn't quite work out like their owners thought at this point in their rookie seasons. I don't expect complete flops from either guy, but neither guy has played a down in the NFL yet either - and I'll freely admit that I think Best is significantly over-rated right now.

The fact that the site said "Sproles has no real competition for carries" is what catches my attention.

I am not saying he is going to be great this year or even good but there is no way you can rank him behind Sproles or say he isn't even going to be a factor for carries. Why would have SD traded up to #12 to land him if he wasn't going to be part of their plans at RB.

Sproles was a top 20 RB in 2 of my leagues last season...

Edited by Bronco Billy

Muto, with your vast experience I would have thought you would know that any magazine already out right now might not be in the upper echilon of information. I usually end up buying one of those early rags if I just can't wait for one of the real ones to come out. They are really funny sometimes, but hardly worth donating your hard earned money on. You have been had by your own anticipation.

Ah, screw it. I'm just being a devil's advocate. I do like Matthews' chances a lot. I do think Best has a lower ceiling by a bit, but we'll see. He could be the next Barry Sanders.

If he is half the player Barry was, Lions fans will be happy.

In all honesty, what is so wrong with this comment? Rookie backs are far from proven in the NFL and generally players such as Sproles, whom once got little camera time, now have an opportunity to show what he's made of in prime time while the rookie learns the ropes. Heck, look what happened with TJ at NYJ's (BTW, Sproles is no TJ, but the comparison still applies)? Sproles is ranked 25th out of 32 starters on this list which is far from exceptional and has shown some signs in the past he can run.

Once upon a time, there was this team from NC who had a dynamic back that nobody thought could really carry the load between the tackles. This very team spent a reasonably high 1st round pick on a more prototypical RB, obviously signaling the beginning of the end for this undersized kid. Obviously the team wasn't going to spend a pick that high on someone they didn't intend to ride, so anyone who knew anything was going to pick the rookie long before the other guy who'd spent his entire career in spot duty. Then what happened?

First off, yes, I understand, Sproles is smaller than Williams. And yes, I think the kid Matthews should come off the board before the #50 RB. However, I think whoever is taking him #8 overall is smoking stronger stuff than the guy ranking him as the #50 RB.

No kidding especially true when they bought The Sporting News.

Wow.

I used to like Sporting News way back when. I have not heard of them in years. They used to be one of the better sites for news and information but at some point they dropped off my radar completely. I completely forgot about them.

Henry Muto bought the magazine so who is the winner in all of this? You can hit the highlites of most of those magazines during a five minute break from work. Why would you bring it home and study it even for $5?

I am a magazine junkie. I usually buy around 7-8 of them each year. There is just something nice to be able to pick up a magazine and look at it and turn the pages as opposed to doing everything online now days. I know it's somewhat a waste to buy so many but I am addicted to fantasy football what can I say.

Muto, with your vast experience I would have thought you would know that any magazine already out right now might not be in the upper echilon of information. I usually end up buying one of those early rags if I just can't wait for one of the real ones to come out. They are really funny sometimes, but hardly worth donating your hard earned money on. You have been had by your own anticipation.

the only reason to buy a fantasy mag is if you have zero access to the internet and because it is lighter than a stone tablet with dated info on it

the only reason to buy a fantasy mag is if you have zero access to the internet and because it is lighter than a stone tablet with dated info on it

I buy them to leave in the john at work...that way my fellow co-workers and leaguemates have some great data at their disposal...

I know it's somewhat a waste to buy so many but I am addicted to fantasy football what can I say.

And yet you question those that do mock drafts? Fantasy magazines typically have stale information; a good mock is by far the most up-to-date fantasy football intelligence you can get. :wacko:

I buy them to leave in the john at work...that way my fellow co-workers and leaguemates have some great data at their disposal...

Brilliant!!

I am a magazine junkie. I usually buy around 7-8 of them each year. There is just something nice to be able to pick up a magazine and look at it and turn the pages as opposed to doing everything online now days. I know it's somewhat a waste to buy so many but I am addicted to fantasy football what can I say.

I do buy the Fantasy Index and sometimes I get another one besides that one. But so many of these mags are printed where you don't need to look at them for very long to see what they are all about. The first thing I do is scan the rankings to see if anything looks out of line. Then I look to see if I know anyone that wrote articles in the mag. Since you complained about the magazine or made fun of it, I was just pointing out that they got the last laugh when you paid for it.

Edited by MikesVikes

In all honesty, what is so wrong with this comment? Rookie backs are far from proven in the NFL and generally players such as Sproles, whom once got little camera time, now have an opportunity to show what he's made of in prime time while the rookie learns the ropes. Heck, look what happened with TJ at NYJ's (BTW, Sproles is no TJ, but the comparison still applies)? Sproles is ranked 25th out of 32 starters on this list which is far from exceptional and has shown some signs in the past he can run.

We took Mathews 12th overall. Norv already loves the guy.

Sproles is a part-time RB/special teamer. I think the comment is more than invalid.

Edited by rebdog