[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Partisan politics are ruining this site

Cunning Runt

Well this is a thread about partisan politics, would you rather me talk about fencing in a swimming pool?

How does one fence in a swimming pool? Isn't it hard to to parry, riposte, etc with your epee in the pool?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible this because you lean to the left, and liked it more two years ago when Bushwaker, Grunge, Ursa, Waterboy etc... were attacking the Bush Administration, but now that the Dems have control over pretty much everything, people are attacking or at least bringing to light their wrongs?

That's the stuff I'm sick of. You can't just have a conversation around here.

How many feet of fence, what height? A 6 foot privacy fence will run you about $16 per foot an 8' will go about $19. Obviously chain link will be a little less, and fake ornamental iron (aluminum) a little more. I can give you a pretty good idea if you give me the quantities and what you want.

I'd have to look again at the regs to see if 5 or 6 feet were required, but i'm thinking or an iron fence that looks something like this but doesn't have to be as ornate. One self closing gate and installed. I have to start calling and get some quotes soon. I'd have to measure the perimeter, but it's not a large pool maybe 400-450 sq feet.

I actually think the political threads have gotten less bad in the last few months.

+1

aside from a few clowns, there have been some really good arguments posted on either side....well, not always but it has gotten marginally better...

"One man's trash is another man's treasure." For me, this site has become treasure (not that it was trash to me, but to some it apparently is). I've gravitated more to this site because of the chats. I'm coming from a site here in STL which is based on our newspaper (stltoday.com). As much of a Rams and football fan I am and have become over the years, that site has become a major joke. Want to start a thread with a guarantee of 5 minimum pages, all on the same topic - start one with "Marc Bulger" in the title, and take either side of an argument for or against him. The assclowns that post on that site drivel on about the same crap all day long. It's awful, plain and simple. Here, I get to read a lot of different threads about a lot of different subjects. I have noticed in my recent "more time" spent here that certain people gravitate towards certain topics, however, like previously said... just ignore the threads or put the other user(s) on ignore. As far as the content, I looked at several different sites last year before joining here (maybe I am the reason this site has allegedly gone downhill over the past year???) and went with the Huddle due to the forums and the apparent content. And for the first time in my 6 years in FF, I finished in the money, flat-out based on the rankings and projections from this site. While I did not win the championship, I did finish first overall as #1 seed. And when I figure out the date I can renew, I will again this year.

Alas, just some noob's :wacko:

Let Love Rule

Actually, skins didn't quit, he was put on "extended ban" that extended "indefinately".

:wacko: He did quit the boards and all his leagues after the TG took a nasty turn after Katrina before he returned several months later.

I also think the rhetoric has been turned up to ten with assertions that somehow society has ended since Obama took office. It is the teabag rhetoric of how America is now some sort of "Road Warrior" wasteland because the right isn't in control that rankle me, and I often respond to such ridiculous assertions with sarcasm and acid of my own. Lately, I have been trying to mostly stay away from the arguments (but alas, will lob the occasional grenade into the fray), mainly because it does no good. The ALL CAPS DOOM SAYING CROWD cannot be reasoned with, and it is useless to try. If you want to discuss or even argue about how the President is doing, or how the economy is fairing or if BP really did all they could to prevent the spill, fine. But bring in the LYING LIBERALS ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!! lunacy and I am out (except to harrass you).

That being said, I was pretty outspoken that I think Bush was an abysmal president. Hands down the worst ever, and that includes the dude that did nothing in office but suffer pneumonia and die.. And there were others in the liberal bend that took that to extremes like we see in the tea partiers today. However, those guys (skins) were dealt with fairly aggressively and quickly. I just don't remember the sheer volume of patently false, fearmongering threads that are taking place here now. It isn't a surprise, I suppose, since it is what Rush and his clones have been doing for years. But it is sad, nonetheless...

Edited by cre8tiff

all of us here hate politicians in general. we just hate some more than others.

Maybe we should channel all this teeth gnashing toward them rather than each other then. :wacko:

Seriously.

All the political BS is absolutely ruining this site.

There are a few people that bring politics into nearly every single thread and generally in a challenging or critical manner.

Good god - let it go. The boards have taken a noticeable downturn since this all started - maybe a year or two ago.

This is why I left the site 5 years ago for a little bit. Now I just ignore the political Tailgate threads (aside from this post). Too bad there's no option to filter out tailgate posts completely. I love the posts about football and the non-political posts are great. The political posts are just lame. :wacko:

That's the stuff I'm sick of. You can't just have a conversation around here.

I agree. It's kind of funny around here because if you post anything but anti-obama you get painted as a tree hugging lib pretty fast. I've been a registered republican since I could vote and voted for Bush twice. Personally I've become disillusioned with the repubs (and politicians in general). It seems like one party is "borrow and spend" while the other is "tax and spend". They waste money on different stuff, but in the end what does it matter? :wacko: Our "defense buget" isn't used for actual defense, it's more defending commercial interests over seas. While medicare/medicaid/social secuirty are all going bankrupt because the politicans either can't setup a system that runs well or they like to steal money from SS and replace it with a nice little "IOU" note that won't mean squat by the time I'm old enough to need it.

Wow, um, anyways. yea, I'd rather avoid politics (despite my rant) because it drives more arguments and divisions than actually getting to know people better and having a good time. There are plenty of political forums by people that have far more time on their hands if you want to get into constitutionality of some law. For the most part people work, have families, and enjoy football. Wouldn't it be better if the tailgate were more about having fun conversations and finding out more about the people we talk football with? The Internet is easy to argue on but to say it's what we should be doing on the web sounds like saying that the TV was invented so we could watch reality TV shows. :tup:

Based on a quick count roughly 33% of the threads on the first page (if you include this one) have political discussions in them. That seems about on par with typical small talk around the office.

Incorrect. Talking politics around the office is considered bad form, and in some cases can be a form of discrimination.

Most tactful people avoid it.

Meh. I care less about what people "believe" and more about how they demonstrate and process quantitative data into recognizable patterns and well-formulated prognostication. In that regard, there are most certainly 1 or 2 people who are head and shoulders above the rest. And if a writer has inside club info on an injury, or something, that's different. But for the most part I see a lot of "sameness" in the week-to-week fantasy football content today. But that's just one man's opinion.

:tup:

I'm very interested in what successful people "believe." You can throw all the statistical analysis at me you want, but if the person I am getting advice from has never won anything, what use is it? Just a thought.

:tup: I guess I need to join some 5th graders leagues :wacko: