[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I forgot how to write

whomper

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know a bunch of people, all women, whose handwriting is like their own font. it's immaculate.

my problem is i want to write as fast as i can type, so i get impatient while i'm writing something and it comes out illegible. but they still cash the checks somehow!

does anybody else feel like Adam Sandler in "Billy Madison" when they need to write a cursive "z"?

I had to stop and think how to do that again after reading it. :wacko:

What is scary is that some kids don't even know they are doing things different. I catch my 16 year-old making simple errors all the time, and she will write at times capitalizing the first letter in each word. She is a bright kid, but she has no idea something like that is defined as "wrong" by many.

i know a bunch of people, all women, whose handwriting is like their own font. it's immaculate.

my problem is i want to write as fast as i can type, so i get impatient while i'm writing something and it comes out illegible. but they still cash the checks somehow!

My mothers handwriting will make you weep . It is that beautiful. She wrote out all of my wedding invitation addresses and it looked like we had them professionally done

I refudiate this claim.

:tup:

I can no longer write cursive. I get like 3 letters in and can't remember how to shape the letters. :wacko:

I wrote just enough cursive to pass 5th grade. Haven't used it since.

I spell and punctuate OK, but my handwriting is beyond terrible.

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

Well, at least you can form sentences and spell (or know how to use spell-check). The English language is under assault. The proliferation of text messaging and the abbreviation of words only serves to move us further and further from a literate society.

Exactly. I was finally able to let go of my "grammar nazi" tendencies on msg boards at least, as well as things like the increasingly excessive internet acronyms and abbreviations (and I admit I'm not immune), but basic errors still cause a sort of contained eye roll. What really gets me, though, is when I see glaring errors in places like CNN.com, newpapers, magazines (eg Forbes, I'm not talking Tiger Beat), novels, etc etc. It's like they were proofread by Mike Tyson. I don't just mean missing a comma either; I mean glaring errors that spellchecker won't catch. These are professionals doing this.

I guess what really bugs me about it is that it's all due to laziness and apathy, and long term promotes poor communication (I don't mean just errors, but expressing one's self well), which slowly erodes our society much more than people realize. I also think it promotes stupidity in a way, as people care less and less about how to make any real effort to properly or best express themselves. I mean, I was like, omg, wth to my bff, but she was all like whatever. barf. I can live with that in teenagers, but a lot of adults are like that now.

I know, I'm just a ranting dinosaur spitting into the wind. Roar. Spit.

But all that said - and getting back to the actual topic - my handwriting isn't much better. I haven't even tried cursive in years (unless you count my scribbled signature) and even my printing, which has traditionally been very neat, is getting sloppy. like omg.

Do they even teach this stuff in school any more? I've heard that even at the lowest levels of school they start them out with computers right off. Dammit, break out those Dick n Jane readers and the big yellow pads w/the blue lines on em.

Edited by BeeR

Exactly. I was finally able to let go of my "grammar nazi" tendencies on msg boards at least, as well as things like the increasingly excessive internet acronyms and abbreviations (and I admit I'm not immune), but basic errors still cause a sort of contained eye roll. What really gets me, though, is when I see glaring errors in places like CNN.com, newpapers, magazines (eg Forbes, I'm not talking Tiger Beat), novels, etc etc. It's like they were proofread by Mike Tyson. I don't just mean missing a comma either; I mean glaring errors that spellchecker won't catch. These are professionals doing this.

I guess what really bugs me about it is that it's all due to laziness and apathy, and long term promotes poor communication (I don't mean just errors, but expressing one's self well), which slowly erodes our society much more than people realize. I also think it promotes stupidity in a way, as people care less and less about how to make any real effort to properly or best express themselves. I mean, I was like, omg, wth to my bff, but she was all like whatever. barf. I can live with that in teenagers, but a lot of adults are like that now.

I know, I'm just a ranting dinosaur spitting into the wind. Roar. Spit.

But all that said - and getting back to the actual topic - my handwriting isn't much better. I haven't even tried cursive in years (unless you count my scribbled signature) and even my printing, which has traditionally been very neat, is getting sloppy. like omg.

Do they even teach this stuff in school any more? I've heard that even at the lowest levels of school they start them out with computers right off. Dammit, break out those Dick n Jane readers and the big yellow pads w/the blue lines on em.

The AJC (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) is rife with spelling, punctuation and word usage errors... My favorite was a few months ago when reading an article about an accident on I-285 where a tractor trailer ran into the "North-bound medium, backing up traffic for 3 miles..." Who'd a thunk that such a service was available on the highway?

While computers is part of the curriculum, yes, my daughters get a lot of writing homework. They will get pages like this and have to duplicate it all below in blank spaces provided

The AJC (Atlanta Journal-Constitution) is rife with spelling, punctuation and word usage errors... My favorite was a few months ago when reading an article about an accident on I-285 where a tractor trailer ran into the "North-bound medium, backing up traffic for 3 miles..." Who'd a thunk that such a service was available on the highway?

It's Atlanta. I don't be no surprised n sh**. :wacko:

While computers is part of the curriculum,

Intentional. Right?

Intentional. Right?

Im probably wrong because my grammar is weak in that case I thought is was correct because I sort of slanged computers to mean computer class.

As if I had said "While computer class is part of the curriculum". It would have been correct. That is sort of where I was going.

Edited by whomper

Im probably wrong because my grammar is weak in that case I thought is was correct because I sort of slanged computers to mean computer class.

As if I had said "While computer class is part of the curriculum". It would have been correct. That is sort of where I was going.

Even in 1994 with a Wendy's campaign for schoodchildren: "Good Grades Has its Rewards!"

Even in 1994 with a Wendy's campaign for schoodchildren: "Good Grades Has its Rewards!"

Have I ever gone on my rant in TG about how the fast food industry is leading to rampant spelling problems of America's youth... I wrote chic-fil-a a letter about it once, never heard back.