[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Van Halen

bushwacked

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now about this thread.......... Growing up in L.A. VH played all the big parties around town. This was pre DLR and they were called Mammoth. Great band instrumentally and they played most of the tunes on VH1 with no lyrics before picking up Roth whom was a Janitor at a hospital that his Daddy was a Dr. at. Eddie was incredible then, but really wasn't even the best Guitarist in the Valley at the time. That went to a guy from another local band named Avalance. Billy Moody was his name and he died one night of a overdose. The whole VH family played music, Dad and Mom included. They were destined to be great, Eddie mastered his craft through much practice, invented "detuning" a guitar and the rest is history. Shoot even their extremely hot little sisters could play. Are there better guitarists out there, Ya sure ya betcha, but not many can play the riffs Eddie stylized and made famous.

Now Tom Morrello blows all the past greats away IMO. Only Guitars. drums and voice will be allowed on his cuts. One may think otherwise by the sounds he gets from his axe. Guess who was one of his inspirations while learning his craft?

Oh yeah and it's all Rock and Roll, whether inspired by early blues, folk, or whatever. And I like it.

Edited by Hugh B Tool

Dude has never really bothered me, depending on the way that it is used. It is kinda like when you "chief" someone, is it being condescending/aggressive or is it just something that one uses on everybody... I got chiefed once and there was no problem... Another guy chiefed me then took a swing at me. It all depends on context.

First of all... :wacko:

Second of all, I almost fell out of my chair when I read that someone else has used the word "chief" as a verb. Me and my best buddy back in Cali have been all over this for years.... one of the best days of his life was when his daughter "chiefed" him for the first time. :tup:

Non Sequitur.

I agree with whomper 100%. Eddie was the last game changer. Much like Hendrix, people who came after him may have taken his game to a slightly higher level, but in no way did they completely alter the landscape in the same fashion that they did. It was the expression of raw, unbridled energy coupled with complete mastery and control of the instrument that made Eddie the icon that he is.

Non Sequitur.

I agree with whomper 100%. Eddie was the last game changer. Much like Hendrix, people who came after him may have taken his game to a slightly higher level, but in no way did they completely alter the landscape in the same fashion that they did. It was the expression of raw, unbridled energy coupled with complete mastery and control of the instrument that made Eddie the icon that he is.

:wacko: It took me 3 paragraphs to say what you nailed in 1 sentence

this thread warrants my quarterly :tup: (or is it monthly?)

Meh, it's normal huddle stuff. SH has a bit of an edge to his online personna, and as a relative nooob to the huddle, this results in the reaction that you're seeing. Plus the fact that he doesn't know what he's talking about isn't helping his case either. :wacko:

There are more shades of metal than I can list here - death, doom, thrash, etc, etc, etc. To say AC/DC are not a metal band of one kind or another is bizarre.

Hip?

Fun fact - people thought AC/DC were "punk" when they first hit England; after all they played rock, they played it fast, and they stripped it down to the basics. Someone once noted Phil Rudd went the entire decade of the '70s without playing a single fill.

Not crying but genuinely shocked at the sheer originality and skill, so the story goes. If Eddie VH was an original, Hendrix not only wrote the book, he came from a completely different universe.

I thought that was Jeff Beck who described seeing Hendrix as "quite depressing really; you watched him play and thought 'okay, what do I do now?' "

don't put words in my mouth. you, and only you, are the one I am calling a tool, because you are the only one being a tool in this thread. the level of bravado being exhibited here juxtaposed with the level of cluelessness backing it up is a thing to behold.

It's like...if Muto talked music.

I thought that was Jeff Beck who described seeing Hendrix as "quite depressing really; you watched him play and thought 'okay, what do I do now?' "

That may be so but the encounter referred to was certainly Clapton:

There was also curiosity from the emergent powerhouse of British blues: Cream and Eric Clapton. There was a particular night when Cream allowed Jimi to join them for a jam at the Regent Street Polytechnic in central London. Meeting Clapton had been among the enticements Chandler had used to lure Hendrix to Britain: "Hendrix blew into a version of [Howlin' Wolf's] 'Killing Floor'," recalls Garland, "and plays it at breakneck tempo, just like that – it stopped you in your tracks." Altham recalls Chandler going backstage after Clapton left in the middle of the song "which he had yet to master himself"; Clapton was furiously puffing on a cigarette and telling Chas: "You never told me he was that fucking good."

BTW, the 40th anniversary of the legend's death passed on Sunday.