[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

getting a new tv

chester

Spending up to $3000 for the whole system. tv, BluRay, mounting, etc. Using existing sound system.

Wife wants one of the 3D tvs. Worth it?

Thoughts, sales, online deals? (or if somebdy could just direct me to a previous thread :cough: Big John :cough:}

3d is a fad that the man is shoving down our throats. Will not be around long term.

buy mounts from monoprice and no where else.

dont overpay for blueray. pretty much a standard.

I have PC or laptop on all my sets. They all communicate to each other.

Size:

check out your distance. If you get too large and sit too close. It will look like crap.

The consensus is that Sony and Samsung make the best LCD sets, though Sharp and Vizio are very good also. Over the past year we've purchased a 52" Sony and a 32" Samsung and both are great sets. For Blu-Ray we have a PS3 which is considered one of the better players, plus obviously you get the gaming system and you can also stream Netflix. I bought my parents an LG Blu-Ray player for Christmas and they rave about it all the time. It is wi-fi enabled and has integrated Netflix, Vudu, YouTube and a few other services too.

Go to avsforums and read your life away. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with that type of cash. If it's a theater or game room, I'd go projector but that's just me. I like watching football on a 10 foot screen. :wacko:

Go to avsforums and read your life away. You can get a lot of bang for your buck with that type of cash. If it's a theater or game room, I'd go projector but that's just me. I like watching football on a 10 foot screen. :wacko:

+1000 there. I have a projector and home theater room in the basement. Also great for playing Left 4 Dead on with my son.

It is :tup: to mention you have a 10 foot screen when the dude on the floor is trying to sell you a 51" monster.

I'm in the market now, because our smaller television in the common room is starting to go. I doubt we will go larger than 40" or so just for that room.

Even though there are almost 30 3D movies that are set to be released by 2012, the fad is fading fast. The cost to produce a 3D movie is phenomenal and the extra $5-$10 at the box office to watch it is starting to piss people off. Trust me when I tell you that the industry is moving AWAY from 3D. Its a nice novelty and all, but if you enjoy the headaches, the hassle and inconvenience of 3D glasses, then go for it. The one industry I DO see that will benefit from 3D is gaming. If you and the wife are big gamers then i could see this as a expensive secondary unit in a game room. Nothing more. Get yourself a bad ass LCD or Blue Ray projector.

Don't forget to look at plasma TV's as well. In most cases they are cheaper (for the same size), have better blacks and better viewing angles. However, they consume a bit more energy as well. Also, Plasma's handle lot's of action (lower lag) on the screen better than LCD. I know LCD has been improving but I'm not sure how much it has improved over the last year or so.

Also, don't get suckered in by the $100 HD cables. They either work or they don't - there is no gray area .You can buy'em for $6 to $10 bucks online at monoprice.com.

I also agree that 3D will go the way of the dinosaur.

Edited by tosberg34

Don't forget to look at plasma TV's as well. In most cases they are cheaper (for the same size), have better blacks and better viewing angles. However, they consume a bit more energy as well. Also, Plasma's handle lot's of action (lower lag) on the screen better than LCD. I know LCD has been improving but I'm not sure how much it has improved over the last year or so.

Also, don't get suckered in by the $100 HD cables. They either work or they don't - there is no gray area .You can buy'em for $6 to $10 bucks online at monoprice.com.

I also agree that 3D will go the way of the dinosaur.

The only problem with plasma is that images can get burned into the screen.

I wouldn't say 3D is a fad, but I won't be adopting it either...my eyes can't handle what is going on with anything 3D...

I like the new Panasonic G20/25 ; V20/25 Plasma's...as well as the Samsung LED 6500 series models, but make sure you have a home theater system or soundbar to go with this...Samsung's are notorious for mediocre at best sound..but offer some of the best picture I've seen...

Sony is doing well with pretty much anything these days as their picture doesn't do what a Samsung would, but the sound will blow away a Samsung..

The only problem with plasma is that images can get burned into the screen.

burn-in is the most over-hyped con for plasma TV's...my Panasonic always get's burn-in and there is a program to get rid of it in the menu for peace of mind, but it really doesn't affect my picture as it's gone as soon as a new screen is being displayed on the TV. The only time I see burn-in is if I just finished watching a movie and the menu screen is on for a few minutes before I turn everything off...right when the screen goes black, I see the previous image almost like a silhouette in the TV....

it doesn't have any affect what-so-ever on my TV....

Plasma's offer the best bang for your buck by far right now with the 600hz refresh rate which can help compensate for a TV being 720p with a Blu-ray being played...because everything else is pretty much all 720p and will be for quite some time...

burn-in is the most over-hyped con for plasma TV's...my Panasonic always get's burn-in and there is a program to get rid of it in the menu for peace of mind, but it really doesn't affect my picture as it's gone as soon as a new screen is being displayed on the TV. The only time I see burn-in is if I just finished watching a movie and the menu screen is on for a few minutes before I turn everything off...right when the screen goes black, I see the previous image almost like a silhouette in the TV....

it doesn't have any affect what-so-ever on my TV....

Plasma's offer the best bang for your buck by far right now with the 600hz refresh rate which can help compensate for a TV being 720p with a Blu-ray being played...because everything else is pretty much all 720p and will be for quite some time...

+1

My first HDTV was a 40" Samsung LCD. It's been great, but a about a year ago I bought a 720P 50" Panasonic plasma and I love it (especially since it only cost $830 for a 50" and at my seating distance I can't tell the difference between 720P and 1080P). I've really never had any image retention/burn in. I just use the TV like normal (although my PS3 is on the LCD projector downstairs so I haven't tried gaming on it). The only thing to note about Plasmas is that you do get some reflection off the glass so if you do have tons of windows behind your viewing area, you might want to look at LCD closer if you have glare concerns. Ours is above our fire place and we don't really have any problems.

ETA, buy wallmounts and cables from Monoprice (dot) com.

Edited by Square

I just got a Vizio LED that I'm really happy with. Great value for the price.
I would also recommend Vizio. The only con that I have with my older Vizio is that there seems to be a bug with the HDCP when switching between SD and HD content, or changing inputs. The screen turns bright blue and it stays that way anywhere from a few seconds to sometimes 30-60 seconds. I would definitely consider Vizio again just for the value, but the first thing I'm checking is if that is still and issue.

Yeah, but monchichi's were oh, so soft and cudd-il-y.

With their thumb in their mouth their really sweet,

It's fun to wiggle their little feet..

Happy, happy, monchichi

I would buy my Sony Bravia LCD again. That's about the best recommendation I can give any product today.

The Samsung DLP I own is pretty good as well for picture quality, but the sound quality isn't up to par. You need a home theatre to really bring that TV out.

Edited by TimC