[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Your Companies Pay Scale Available For All To See?

Footballjoe

As you know I have applied for a job out of town. One of the holdups as to whether or not I will accept the job is finding out the salary range. I know the low salary and was offered a salary. However the HR person cannot tell me the top out. He said the only one who knows that is his supervisor who is on vacation. That's sounds crazy to me. We just had a wage study done and all salaries were posted by position. How is it with your company?

As you know I have applied for a job out of town. One of the holdups as to whether or not I will accept the job is finding out the salary range. I know the low salary and was offered a salary. However the HR person cannot tell me the top out. He said the only one who knows that is his supervisor who is on vacation. That's sounds crazy to me. We just had a wage study done and all salaries were posted by position. How is it with your company?

I've had it both ways, basically the larger the company, the more defined the pay structures, in my experience.

My wife works for the government and all of their pay scales are online.

I have typically worked for small companies and you will never find a pay scale for salesmen in my industry. Basically, you try to guess how much BS the owner is telling you. If he says a number, you assume about 75% of that is actually possible and he is just shooting hot air up your arse the rest of the time (and that is 75% if you are lucky). Basically, you try to work for the companies that either make a lot so they can cheat you out of money but you are still profitable, or you find a manager/owner that cheats you less than the others. It's a good time :wacko:

No, but I work in a company of 6 that is struggling financially. My former job was for a company that had ~500 local employees and another probably 2000 at regional warehouses. Hourly pay scales were more or less known, salary wasn't specifically stated but almost everyone was within 10-15% +/- of each other at the same position based on watercooler talk.

It is all right here:

OPM pay table

Supposedly only 5 people in my company know what everyone makes. I say supposedly because I'm sure the people in the field talk about it, even though they are not supposed to. We do participate in industry surveys and give salary ranges for each position, but those surveys are confidential, and only tell the people that participate what the average salary per position is locally and regionally. We have thrown that out on the table before during a meeting with our supers just to show them that they are being paid well over the industry average.

Absolutely not. But I work in a very white collar business where salaries and bonus structures can vary dramaticly based on negotiation skill and value ($) you can add.

This.

I know I make quite a bit of a difference than the guy doing a very similar job to me....and he's been there longer.

Supposedly only 5 people in my company know what everyone makes. I say supposedly because I'm sure the people in the field talk about it, even though they are not supposed to. We do participate in industry surveys and give salary ranges for each position, but those surveys are confidential, and only tell the people that participate what the average salary per position is locally and regionally. We have thrown that out on the table before during a meeting with our supers just to show them that they are being paid well over the industry average.

And this (except my department has three people who know all the salaries - me and two others).

Absolutely not. But I work in a very white collar business where salaries and bonus structures can vary dramaticly based on negotiation skill and value ($) you can add.

This.

However I do a blind comparison from our auditor that specializes in my business that shows us what the "market" is . . but not the names of the clubs. VERY helpful in negotiations . . . .:wacko:

Work in a regulated industry. Every position has a pay range, a market average, a target bonus percentage and that is available for every job title. Now, exec packages are not as widely known, and their bonuses are much higher/different than typical management/worker bees, but certain people have access to the data.

Doesn't it seem strange that in a city government type job only one person has access to this info? I wonder if they offered me the top salary to get me in the door and then going to stick it to me? :wacko:

Have you seen what has been going on herein Southern California with regard to pay for city officials. Seems like it is the norm to allow for greater abuse, all public officials salries should be public knowledge.

Have you seen what has been going on herein Southern California with regard to pay for city officials. Seems like it is the norm to allow for greater abuse, all public officials salries should be public knowledge.

All state employees (at least the ones that work in colleges) in Virginia salaries are public knowledge. No matter the level. I can agree that it should be public knowledge over a certain level, but not the regular rank and file employees. This causes more crap than anything for obvious reasons among the underlings.