[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

45s

Big John

History of the 45 RPM vinyl record

In 1948 the Columbia company had perfected the 12" Long Playing Vinyl disc. Spinning at 33 rpm the new format could play up to 25 minutes per side. This new record medium also had a much lower level of surface noise than did its older shellac cousin. However, Columbia's big rival, RCA Victor then produced the seven inch 45 rpm vinyl disc. These could hold as much sound as the 12" 78 rpm discs they were to replace, but were much smaller and attractive.

The 45rpm record's years of greatest success began with the onset of rock and roll. The new 7 inch format was favoured by the young and in the UK sales of 45s overtook 78s early in 1958 as rock and roll established a boom in record sales.During the next few years the UK was to become a major source of popular recorded music with the advent of the British 'beat' groups which were exemplified in the 'Beatles'. This was the 'golden era' for the 45. Although sales of popular music were to grow dramatically during the following decades, buyers gradually transferred their purchases to the 12" 'LP' as their affluence grew. Indeed, by the end of the 1960s sales of the 45 had even begun to decline.

For top 45's sold, these go to Christmas songs such as White Christmas by Bing Crosby or Ruldolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry.

Top 45s outside those include Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley, Hound Dog by Elvis Presley and Hey Jude by the Beatles.

Any other good 45s you used to play when vinyl was still popular?

For top 45's sold, these go to Christmas songs such as White Christmas by Bing Crosby or Ruldolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry.

Top 45s outside those include Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley, Hound Dog by Elvis Presley and Hey Jude by the Beatles.

I still have just under 200 45s. I've long since digitized them all to CD and now iTunes but I still have them.

I remember/had all the 45s mentioned. First one I ever recall was the Hawaii 5-0 theme by The Ventures. Hey BJ, trivia: what was the B side to that 45? I take it you all had one of those hokie little 45 players that folded up like a mini briefcase too?

:nostalgic sniffle:

And congrats BJ.I think. :wacko:

I have the Bill Haley and Elvis 45s you speak of. I also have Queen, We are the Champions/We Will Rock You. Got some Willie Nelson. Man, now I gotta go to the stroage and dig out that old box :wacko: