[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your "religious denomination" (basically)

BeeR

Well?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your denomination/ belief system?

• Christian (Catholic)
    • Christian (Protestant)
    • Christian (other)
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Other (desc)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been about every kind of protestant that you can be (military family and my dad picked our church by what was closest to our house).

I also went to Jesuit (Catholic) university

Don't actively attend a church currently and haven't for several years but as the kids get older probably will attend the local Uniterian Universalist church

I've been about every kind of protestant that you can be (military family and my dad picked our church by what was closest to our house).

I also went to Jesuit (Catholic) university

Don't actively attend a church currently and haven't for several years but as the kids get older probably will attend the local Uniterian Universalist church

Uniterian. Wow. What a free-thinking liberal, you are. Hehehe. I used to go to the Unitarian Church when I was a kid.

Edited by electricrelish

Dad, Jew from Israel. Mom, Mormon from Utah, descendent of Brigham Young. How does this happen?......Cal

Benefits, Christmas AND Chanukah. Never went to church and no temple visits after 3rd grade.

I don't really practice anything except a live and let live philosophy.

Ok, so what sort of belief system would fall under "Christian" that isn't either Catholic or Protestant?

I chose that one. I'm sort of a Christian agnostic. I'm not sure there is or isn't a God, but I believe in most of the Christian values and the beneficial aspects of a church community.

There's a problem with your poll in that you do not define agnostic or atheist. I don't claim to be an expert, but, as I understand it, these terms are misunderstood and misapplied.

Atheism, in and of itself, means the absence of a belief that a god (or gods) exist.

Agnosticism, in and of itself, is about knowledge, or specifically, lack of knowledge.

Atheist beliefs can be broken down into strong (gnostic) and weak (agnostic) atheism. A strong atheist believes that there is no deity. A weak atheist takes the position that there is not enough evidence to believe in the existence of a god nor is there enough evidence to disbelieve in the existence of a god.

Agnostics (in the realm of religion) fall into two categories. An agnostic atheist does not believe in a god, but isn't sure that a god can not and does not exist. An agnostic theist believes in the existence of a god, but isn't sure that a god can and does exist.

So I think that most people who call themselves atheists are probably strong atheists and most people that call themselves agnostics are weak atheists or agnostic atheists (some would argue that there is no difference between the two.) Many people with the latter beliefs probably don't want to refer to themselves as atheists in any way due to social stigma and perceived unreasonableness.

I'm an agnostic atheist.

Edited by Furd

Lapsed Catholic, leaning more agnostic these days, but still afraid of roasting in Hell for all eternity. Those nuns did a superb job indoctrinating me with guilt. :wacko:

I chose that one. I'm sort of a Christian agnostic. I'm not sure there is or isn't a God, but I believe in most of the Christian values and the beneficial aspects of a church community.

These most sum up my beliefs and bringing up (raised Catholic, went to Catholic school), though I would have gone Whompostle if it had been offered as a choice.

These most sum up my beliefs and bringing up (raised Catholic, went to Catholic school), though I would have gone Whompostle if it had been offered as a choice.

:wacko: I thought of that too