[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What is your "religious denomination" (basically)

BeeR

Well?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. What best describes your denomination/ belief system?

• Christian (Catholic)
    • Christian (Protestant)
    • Christian (other)
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Other (desc)

If you don't know, then you are not a believer.

If you can't grasp that concept, its kind of pointless.

My point is that the term atheist has become so demonized (and misunderstood) that people will go through great lengths (see above) in order to avoid it.

Yeah... Though about this some more and realize that I do get what you're saying. You either believe or you don't. If you're not sure, that means you don't believe. Fair enough. And I think you're right about people's opinion on the word atheism. Then again, some people have a similarly skewed opinion on the word Christian. You say that word to some people, they immediately think of the "Jesus Freak" who shouts out bible verses in the courtyard between buildings on a college campus.

FWIW, I am a theist. I have my moments where I question it, but I generally believe God exists.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add that I didn't explain the terms because I didn't think it necessary as there are commonly understood definitions of them. If someone takes them differently, oh well.

Either way looks like a lotta Catholics here, had no idea. Maybe FF makes people pray more? :wacko:

I'm what ussed to be termed a "Stoneite". It was the same group that Muck's people and a couple others here sprang from.

From wikipedia. It was basically the opposite of organized religions.

The cornerstone for the Stone movement was Christian freedom, which led them to a rejection of all the historical creeds, traditions and theological systems that had developed over time and a focus on a primitive Christianity based on the Bible.[5]:104,105

While restoring primitive Christianity was central to the Stone movement, they saw restoring the lifestyle of the early church as essential, and during the early years "focused more . . . on holy and righteous living than on the forms and structures of the early church.[5]:103 The group did also seek to restore the primitive church.[5]:104 However, due to concern that emphasizing particular practices could undermine Christian freedom, this effort tended to take the form of rejecting tradition rather than an explicit program of reconstructing New Testament practices.[5]:104 The emphasis on freedom was strong enough that the movement avoided developing any ecclesiastical traditions, resulting in a movement that was "largely without dogma, form, or structure."[5]:104,105 What held "the movement together was a commitment to primitive Christianity."[5]:105

Another theme was that of hastening the millennium.[5]:104 Many Americans of the period believed that the millennium was near and based their hopes for the millennium on their new nation, the United States.[5]:104 Members of the Stone movement believed that only a unified Christianity based on the apostolic church, rather than a country or any of the existing denominations, could lead to the coming of the millennium.[5]:104 Stone's millennialism has been described as more "apocalyptic" than that of Alexander Campbell, in that he believed people were too flawed to usher in a millennial age through human progress.[12]:6,7 Rather, he believed that it depended on the power of God, and that while waiting for God to establish His kingdom, one should live as if the rule of God were already fully established.[12]:6

For the Stone movement, this had less to do with eschatological theories and more about a countercultural commitment to live as if the kingdom of God were already established on earth.[12]:6,7 This apocalyptic perspective or world view led many in the Stone movement to adopt pacifism, avoid participating in civil government, and reject violence, militarism, greed, materialism and slavery.[12]:6

I'm what ussed to be termed a "Stoneite". It was the same group that Muck's people and a couple others here sprang from.

From wikipedia. It was basically the opposite of organized religions.

The cornerstone for the Stone movement was Christian freedom, which led them to a rejection of all the historical creeds, traditions and theological systems that had developed over time and a focus on a primitive Christianity based on the Bible.[5]:104,105

While restoring primitive Christianity was central to the Stone movement, they saw restoring the lifestyle of the early church as essential, and during the early years "focused more . . . on holy and righteous living than on the forms and structures of the early church.[5]:103 The group did also seek to restore the primitive church.[5]:104 However, due to concern that emphasizing particular practices could undermine Christian freedom, this effort tended to take the form of rejecting tradition rather than an explicit program of reconstructing New Testament practices.[5]:104 The emphasis on freedom was strong enough that the movement avoided developing any ecclesiastical traditions, resulting in a movement that was "largely without dogma, form, or structure."[5]:104,105 What held "the movement together was a commitment to primitive Christianity."[5]:105

Another theme was that of hastening the millennium.[5]:104 Many Americans of the period believed that the millennium was near and based their hopes for the millennium on their new nation, the United States.[5]:104 Members of the Stone movement believed that only a unified Christianity based on the apostolic church, rather than a country or any of the existing denominations, could lead to the coming of the millennium.[5]:104 Stone's millennialism has been described as more "apocalyptic" than that of Alexander Campbell, in that he believed people were too flawed to usher in a millennial age through human progress.[12]:6,7 Rather, he believed that it depended on the power of God, and that while waiting for God to establish His kingdom, one should live as if the rule of God were already fully established.[12]:6

For the Stone movement, this had less to do with eschatological theories and more about a countercultural commitment to live as if the kingdom of God were already established on earth.[12]:6,7 This apocalyptic perspective or world view led many in the Stone movement to adopt pacifism, avoid participating in civil government, and reject violence, militarism, greed, materialism and slavery.[12]:6

Man, you guys have no fun.

Well, with more than 1/3 of the forums consisting of Atheists and Agnostics, I see more clearly now why so many people get talked down to and treated like sh*t around here.

:wacko: ....what percentage of that 1/3+ are left wing nuts.

Well, with more than 1/3 of the forums consisting of Atheists and Agnostics, I see more clearly now why so many people get talked down to and treated like sh*t around here.

Followed by this:

:wacko: ....what percentage of that 1/3+ are left wing nuts.

Either this is an amazing lack of insight into oneself or clever sarcasm.

So here's my religious perspective. Nobody knows. I live my life by a particular moral code that is comfortable for me. At times when I deviate from that code, me and myself sit down and have a conversation about it. If there is a heaven and that does not get me in, then I don't want to spend eternity there anyways.

What choice is that?

Are all babies Atheists because they haven't made a positive statement of belief in God?

The answer is yes, not because of them not making a positive statement but because we are all atheists until taught differently, either by our parents or by an organization. This is clearly not relegated solely to the realm of religion as any child has no concept of any power that exists in the physical, spiritual or cultural world until exposed to these things. All of these things are taught at some level and not all of the lessons learned are correct.

Edited by Kid Cid

I refuse to believe that there is a higher being that is so vain and jealous that a person who led a good life, was kind to others and followed what most would say was a just and moral life would be conscripted to some endless burning hell simply because that kind and generous person didn't swear fealty to this vain and jealous god.

If God/Allah/Yahweh exists, He doesn't care if you go to church. He doesn't care of you pay homage to Him. He doesn't care if you give money to keep your preacher in $1,000.00 suits. He doesn't want you to kill or ostracize anyone who doesn't believe. Those are all trapping of the Church, created by human beings, not divinity.

He would only care that you were a good member of humanity. That is it. Whether you believe in Him or not is immaterial.And I have known PUH-LENTY of folks who claim to be believers, yet cheat, lie steal and in general do not lead good lives as if somehow going to church absolves them of the other 99% of their lives. The church is pure hypocrisy, and I personally refuse to fund it.

I refuse to believe that there is a higher being that is so vain and jealous that a person who led a good life, was kind to others and followed what most would say was a just and moral life would be conscripted to some endless burning hell simply because that kind and generous person didn't swear fealty to this vain and jealous god.

If God/Allah/Yahweh exists, He doesn't care if you go to church. He doesn't care of you pay homage to Him. He doesn't care if you give money to keep your preacher in $1,000.00 suits. He doesn't want you to kill or ostracize anyone who doesn't believe. Those are all trapping of the Church, created by human beings, not divinity.

He would only care that you were a good member of humanity. That is it. Whether you believe in Him or not is immaterial.And I have known PUH-LENTY of folks who claim to be believers, yet cheat, lie steal and in general do not lead good lives as if somehow going to church absolves them of the other 99% of their lives. The church is pure hypocrisy, and I personally refuse to fund it.

Don't hold back next time... If you can't open up to your fellow Huddlers, who can you open up to?

Wow, you really put God on a pedestal. Why can't God be vain? Why can't God want to be praised? Why can't God have WR diva attributes? I mean it's God for God's sake.

Wow, you really put God on a pedestal. Why can't God be vain? Why can't God want to be praised? Why can't God have WR diva attributes? I mean it's God for God's sake.

So you are saying that Ochocinco is the face of divinity on earth? Hmmmm, you may be on to something... :wacko:

Have fun in Hell.