[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another question for the managers

wiegie

Your company produces a product which you have just learned is defective and has the possibility of severely injuring or even killing the consumers who use it.

A recall of the product will cost your company $2 billion dollars. Your lawyers have told you that if you don't recall the product your company is expected to lose $1 billlion dollars in civil lawsuits. (Your company lawyers and personal lawyers have also told you that there is no way that you or anyone in your company will face criminal charges or personal civil suits from this situation.)

You get to make the call for your company: do you recall the product or not?

EDIT: To make it clear what I am getting at--assume that there will be little to no market backlash if you decide not to recall the product. If you recall the product, your company loses more money than if you don't recall the product.

Edited by wiegie

Hell yes. The loss will be greater now but future losses on future products would be enormous if it ever got out that we'd deliberately allowed people to be killed and injured.

ETA: And it's the right thing to do.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Hell yes. The loss will be greater now but future losses on future products would be enormous if it ever got out that we'd deliberately allowed people to be killed and injured.

ETA: And it's the right thing to do.

I have edited my initial post to make it perfectly clear what I am getting at

EDIT: To make it clear what I am getting at--assume that there will be little to no market backlash if you decide not to recall the product. If you recall the product, your company loses more money than if you don't recall the product.

I have edited my initial post to make it perfectly clear what I am getting at

This is your long-awaited assault on those of us that argue in favor of the golden rule and that, absent a terrible situation, society is self-sustaining, isn't it?

The cost of human life is part of business decisions all the time even when it isn't obvious. Maybe all cars should have bullet proof glass in them. It would prevent deaths in road rage shootings. Problem is...road rage shootings are pretty rare so the cost to save some lives is too great to bear.

However, in this case, an error by my company may unexpectedly cost human lives. I have to recall to prevent it.

I worked in the toy industry for a while. The toys made have to pass the "choke test". There were a couple of times where the toys were slightly out of spec and could be forced into the choke tube (used to measure this "chokability"). We recalled without question, despite the fact they may never have harmed anyone or we get sued.

If a company has to ask this question, then that just goes to show how misguided they've become. There should be no question as to what the company should do, and if they don't perform a recall, then someone should blow the whistle.

Edited by electricrelish

I will answer once you explain to me how my product killing someone does not create any backlash against my company.

Assume the company is ending it's operations anyway. Further assume that the company has exactly $2 billion put away in some sort of interest-bearing account somewhere that could be used to pay for the recall, but because of a previous legal ruling none of the money in that account can be distributed to shareholders for at least 10 years (or until the statute of limitations runs out on civil suits for defective products). And also assume that part, though not the majority, of your compensation is in the form of stock options.

The right and ethical answer is to recall. The correct business answer is to not recall. The business exists to make money and the investors will receive a greater payback on their investment if there is no recall. With the way corporations are structured, there is no liability to an individual for making this decision.

I would get a golden parachute and resign leaving the decision to my successor. :wacko:

Seriously though, if I knew in advance that my actions (or inactions) would directly contribute to killing someone, I would have to make the decision to recall regardless of the financial consequences. It would be a horrible decision for the company, and I would most likely lose whatver position I had, but at least I would be able to sleep at night.

lets see...

Lose $2B now in cost of recall

or lose $1B now in legal lawsuits, plus a hugh thing you didn't even bring up: loss of multiple billions more in future sales by consumers that will no longer use your product.

No brainer: do the ethical AND less-costly thing, which is to recall.

It's just a given in this example. Run with it you quack.

Your example did not inspire a response.

Assume the company is ending it's operations anyway. Further assume that the company has exactly $2 billion put away in some sort of interest-bearing account somewhere that could be used to pay for the recall, but because of a previous legal ruling none of the money in that account can be distributed to shareholders for at least 10 years (or until the statute of limitations runs out on civil suits for defective products). And also assume that part, though not the majority, of your compensation is in the form of stock options.

I know for certain I would institute a recall.

lets see...

Lose $2B now in cost of recall

or lose $1B now in legal lawsuits, plus a hugh thing you didn't even bring up: loss of multiple billions more in future sales by consumers that will no longer use your product.

No brainer: do the ethical AND less-costly thing, which is to recall.

I've already addressed your comment--the more profitable thing to do is to NOT recall

Since you say the company will be ending operation anyway, there is nothing to protect accept the money going to the shareholders. I'd issue the recall and sleep better for it.

At this point I expect you will alter the conditions again to make it very lucrative for me to keep quiet, right?

Since you say the company will be ending operation anyway, there is nothing to protect accept the money going to the shareholders. I'd issue the recall and sleep better for it.

At this point I expect you will alter the conditions again to make it very lucrative for me to keep quiet, right?

One of the shareholders has kidnapped your dog...